• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

stainless steel braided brake lines

Ok, let me simplify it this way, based on what I know of hoses:
1. To replace OEM rubber brake hoses with stock OEM brake hoses costs as much if not more than S/S braided line. So why not upgrade if you are replacing the hoses.
2. OEM/stock hoses are only cheap on the salvage parts market, plus you can't be certain of what you're getting.
3. S/S hoses are a definite upgrade to rubber brake hoses.
4. Stock/OEM rubber brake hoses DO degrade over time, no arguement.

If you are satisifed with the feel of the brakes on your bike, and/or don't care to upgrade the performance and durability, then stay with the low grade OEM brake hoses. It has nothing to do with "being an ad for S/S brake hoses."

Point #2 and #4 rule out rubber hoses.
As far as oilheads go, original rubber hoses are a failure waiting to happen.
I have changed out quite a few now, some with complete brake failure (bulging line) and others with locked rotor (debris clogging fluid return)
Always has been the SS Braided retrofit.
It is also worth noting that F650's share this issue as well.

In discussion with Spiegler last order I was told they are selling BMW lines like crazy.

As I learned with the fuel-hoses-in-tank catastrophic failure, there are gotchas on 10-15 year-old bikes. Brakes lines are next up for me.

The GS-911 has a high-pressure test of the brakes. Mine barely passed, perhaps due to hoses that expand slightly.

Even though the original hoses expand during brake application, it does not reduce the pressure applied in the brake caliper. Pressure is constant throughout the entire brake system, especially hydraulic brakes because there is almost no fluid "flow" in the system. Pressure is not "lost" or decreased, unless there is a physical conversion of pressure into work or heat. But, brake hoses that expand during application definitely reduce "feel and feedback". The "feel" becomes soft or mushy, to which we riders respond by applying more lever effort. The feedback issue is that the increased lever effort to overcome the mushy feel results in more brake application than needed, because we don't get a linear response from our lever input. In some low traction conditions, that increases the likelyhood of over-braking the wheel and skidding.

Brake hoses with minimal volumetric expansion, minimal swelling, during brake lever application give us much better feel for what the tire is doing on the surface. With that we can more easily make the minor immediate adjustmetns to fine tune our braking action. From that we improve our braking ability. THAT is the real gain of S/S braided brake hoses.

Even though the original hoses expand during brake application, it does not reduce the pressure applied in the brake caliper. Pressure is constant throughout the entire brake system, especially hydraulic brakes because there is almost no fluid "flow" in the system. Pressure is not "lost" or decreased, unless there is a physical conversion of pressure into work or heat. But, brake hoses that expand during application definitely reduce "feel and feedback". The "feel" becomes soft or mushy, to which we riders respond by applying more lever effort. The feedback issue is that the increased lever effort to overcome the mushy feel results in more brake application than needed, because we don't get a linear response from our lever input. In some low traction conditions, that increases the likelyhood of over-braking the wheel and skidding.

Brake hoses with minimal volumetric expansion, minimal swelling, during brake lever application give us much better feel for what the tire is doing on the surface. With that we can more easily make the minor immediate adjustmetns to fine tune our braking action. From that we improve our braking ability. THAT is the real gain of S/S braided brake hoses.

Now _that_ is a concise and definitive explanation of the advantages of braided teflon lines! Well said.
And just so you know, some of us :brow around here appreciate your expertise and discourse on the matter.
Don't let the ingrates get to ya!

+1 well explained

I went to Stainless Steel but I had them made locally , by company that I trust. You said to only go with a national well known company.

I went to Stainless Steel but I had them made locally , by company that I trust. You said to only go with a national well known company.

Since you're still failing pretty bad at this internet thing, I'm going to help you out by showing you the correct way to handle this situation.

First, after people give you advice, you're obligated to thank them, whether you decide to follow it or not. It's simply good manners to do so. As an example you could have said, "Thanks for the info fellas. I really appreciate it. I've decided to try my luck with a local guy. He's going to make me up some custom SS brake lines. I'll let you know how it goes."

Then, after you get the lines and are satisfied with the product, you can come back to the thread and say, "Hi again fellas. I just awanted to report back on my brake lines. After XXXX miles and XXXX months, I'm really happy with them. I had them made by XXXX company. They cost me $XXX. I highly recommend them. Give these guys a call if you're looking for a cheaper, high-quality alternative to the big manufacturers."

Do you see how easy that is?

Since you're still failing pretty bad at this internet thing, I'm going to help you out by showing you the correct way to handle this situation.

First, after people give you advice, you're obligated to thank them, whether you decide to follow it or not. It's simply good manners to do so. As an example you could have said, "Thanks for the info fellas. I really appreciate it. I've decided to try my luck with a local guy. He's going to make me up some custom SS brake lines. I'll let you know how it goes."

Then, after you get the lines and are satisfied with the product, you can come back to the thread and say, "Hi again fellas. I just awanted to report back on my brake lines. After XXXX miles and XXXX months, I'm really happy with them. I had them made by XXXX company. They cost me $XXX. I highly recommend them. Give these guys a call if you're looking for a cheaper, high-quality alternative to the big manufacturers."

Do you see how easy that is?

Emily Post could not have said it better:clap

Once the FMVSS regs changed to allow the S/S brake lines, the bike makers jumped on it because they knew the S/S hoses were much better.
+1

BMW for example -- both brake and clutch lines.

I have a set of Spiegler lines I picked up at the MOA rally currently sitting on the shelf to go into my '04 R1150RT-P -- the only reason they haven't been installed is that I need to get the transmission up to Tom Cutter for rehab before I can start putting the bike back together.

This thread just added to my Ignore List by one more member.

For those not familiar:

Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

Granted, I don't spend a lot of time here, but have benefited from the community and also contributed when I can.

However this is just the kind of thread that keeps me away from the MOA community. Petty BS.

What a waste of energy - arguing over brake lines. And now I just contributed to the waste.

Cheers!

...this is just the kind of thread that keeps me away from the MOA community. Petty BS.
What a waste of energy - arguing over brake lines.

I believe you're not seeing the forest for the trees. Certainly there's some petty BS hereabouts, but the posts in this thread, particularly Andy's, give a lot of interesting and relevant information about stainless steel-coated teflon brake lines, and their performance compared with the stock rubber variety. If one has a low tolerance for BS and other posters' poor manners, one receives a lot less useful information.

Threads like this are exactly why I read and participate.

Got it

I appreciate everyones opinions ,although I may not agree .Thanks for giving me directions on the ignor list .

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
I have a 2000 RT. The rear brake line BLEW on me on a trip. Not the end of the world. Now I feel the need to replace the fronts.

Actually the line blew on the way to the dealer to trade in the RT. Speed O cable also took a **** on the way.

I have a 12 R1200R. It CAME with SS brake lines. :blah

David

Back