• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How To Mount Nuvi 500 to RCU Tray???

brprider679

Does anyone have any ideas on how to mount a Nuvi 500/550 to a RCU accessory tray? I need some specific application advice if possible from someone who has successfully done this.

Thanks

What model bike? If you are mounting on a R1200RT, I wouldn't use a RCU shelf. I had one and it tends to bounce around a lot on medium to rough roads. I would use a Migsel and RAM mounts.

The Migsel mount simply attaches to the top of the dash above the gauges and provides a base to attach any RAM ball mount. To mount a Nuvi all you need is the RAM Nuvi cradle and a 1" connecting arm. You can use any length arm as long as it fits the ball mount, but I found that the longer arm length produces more vibration.

brprider -

I wouldn't purchase a shelf just for the Nuvi 500. I went through all this when mounting my Nuvi 550. My criteria were:

1. mounting as close to my line of sight as possible;
2. ease of removal;
3. rock-solid mounting.

Initially, none of the solutions I researched met my slant on the three criteria. However, this past summer, I attended the BMWRA rally in VT and saw the following Wunderlich Navigator mount (all stock photos):
8600887.jpg

Here it is mounted above the instrument cluster:
8600887g.jpg

And the view from the front of the bike:
8600887f.jpg

It mounts onto the existing hardware so no drilling is required. The faceplate can be adjusted to pivot up and down and is pre-drilled to accept just about any GPS cradle made. I purchased the Garmin Universal Mounting Cradle/Wiring kit which included the wiring and a very nice cradle that holds the Nuvi securely, but makes removal a snap:
cf-lg.jpg

The cradle also has a receptacle to protect and hold the power plug when not connected to the Nuvi. Obviously, I did not use the RAM ball mount.

IMHO, this Nuvi 5xx mounting system works very well and, should I wander into the Zumo 220 world (for the bluetooth audio), it will be a perfect fit for that unit as well. Of course, if you have other accessories that need mounting on the shelf, this may not work for you. In that case, I have heard terrific things about the BMR Co-Pilot system.
large_image.jpg

Back