• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

All of Kansas Isn't Flat

For a farm kid, those feedlots (the aroma of cow manure) are reminders of smoking grapevine out in the barn, riding horses, fishing in the lake, hauling hay, sledding across the frozen lake, and camping out down by the creek!! We also had hogs on the farm, and by comparison, cow manure is sweet!! Yep, those feedlots smell like money, too!!

piperjim (now the proud owner of a heated jacket and anxious to try it out)!

For a farm kid, those feedlots (the aroma of cow manure) are reminders of smoking grapevine out in the barn, riding horses, fishing in the lake, hauling hay, sledding across the frozen lake, and camping out down by the creek!! We also had hogs on the farm, and by comparison, cow manure is sweet!! Yep, those feedlots smell like money, too!!

piperjim (now the proud owner of a heated jacket and anxious to try it out)!

:clap for the jacket!

We must have gone to different schools together! Smoking grapevine. check. Riding horses, check. Fishing; hay hauling; camping by the creek, all checked. We didn't have pigs; pork was a luxury since it had to be bought! But having had a couple of cows decide to empty their bowels on me while I was pushing them down the chute, sweet is not the first word I'd use to describe manure!:D

Tom

I lived in Kansas for almost 25 years and I want to quibble with the grammatical correctness of the title of this thread.

White it is true that Not All of Kansas is Flat, it is not true that "All of Kansas Isn't Flat".

Sheesh, Paul! I have enough trouble with PC much less GC.:D However, while parts of Kansas may seem flat, they really aren't. I will admit that, at times, the variations may be veeeerrrrryyy subtle.

Tom

Ok, this is going to be a weird post.

Leave it to Darryl to have a nose for bullsh** :ha

Tom - could you please PM me so that I can twist your arm to create an Adventure Detour? :evil

i'll have you know that all of Nebraska ain't flat either.... near Valentine, NE, the Samuel R. McKelvie National Forest.

1179082437_Pu4Tp-L.jpg

!

. . .

But that's not the weird thing I want to mention. Has anyone else noticed that feedlots have a different... aroma... in different parts of the country? The Harris Ranch lot I mentioned has a strong and pungent odor, but it also has a "dry" character to it. There's a feedlot west of Dodge City (below a vista point, no less!) where I thought the aroma was almost dusty -- I thought I could smell the land in it. And when I lived in the Greyt Northwet, the manure lots there reeked heavy and sickly sweet.

Heh. This is like talking about fine wines! :D I suppose this is what the enologists refer to as Terrior! :D :D

I guess enough people laughed at the Dodge City sign that said
"SCENIC overlook"
that they changed it to simply "overlook".

Oh, the aroma!

Voni
sMiling

Leave it to Darryl to have a nose for bullsh** :ha

Tom - could you please PM me so that I can twist your arm to create an Adventure Detour? :evil

i'll have you know that all of Nebraska ain't flat either.... near Valentine, NE, the Samuel R. McKelvie National Forest.

1179082437_Pu4Tp-L.jpg

PM sent.

Tom

I don't want to pick on either Kansas or Tom's grammar, but...

http://improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i3/kansas.html

Apparently Kansas is actually flatter than a pancake.

kansas-4.gif

Mathematically, a value of 1.000 would indicate perfect, platonic flatness. The calculated flatness of the pancake transect
from the digital image is approximately 0.957, which is pretty flat, but far from perfectly flat. The confocal laser scan showed the
pancake surface to be slightly rougher, still.

Measuring the flatness of Kansas presented us with a greater challenge than measuring the flatness of the pancake. The state is
so flat that the off-the-shelf software produced a flatness value for it of 1. This value was, as they say, too good to be true, so we
did a more complex analysis, and after many hours of programming work, we were able to estimate that Kansas’s flatness is
approximately 0.9997. That degree of flatness might be described, mathematically, as “damn flat.”

My research also confirms this:

pan_sm.jpg

Last edited:
I should have expected this kind of BS from a guy with a nose for manure!:D But obviously, Kansas must hold a special place in the universe as the universe is also flat as a pancake.

As to my grammatical correctness, or lack thereof, I'll chalk that up to my Texas education, or lack thereof. Or........ it may be related to the time I spent in SoCA killing brain cells.......or maybe it was the oxygen deprivation while crossing CO......or from freezing my a$$ in Maine. Then again, maybe it was all that damn heat in AZ or the humidity of the Gulf Coast. We won't even mention the time spent in Key West. It could just be rust from living in Seattle, too. But really, I think its my perspective of the world as seen from an airhead that has led me to think all of Kansas is not flat, or to satisfy the GC police, Kansas is not all flat!:buds

Tom

Just wait until there's an opportunity to talk about dead skunks.

Now that's something to look forward to! Maybe that special overlook in Dodge City would be a good spot for that conversation.

Tom

Back