• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

All of Kansas Isn't Flat

F

From MARS

I'm sure a lot of riders from the Southwest are planning their routes to the 2011 Rally. Many probably think of Kansas as "fly-over" country, and some of it is. But the Flint Hills of Eastern Kansas aren't!

Today was just too darned nice to work. The snow from two weeks ago had finally melted, for the most part, temps were headed for the 50's, and the sun was shining. It was a good day for a ride. Besides, I really haven't had the bike out, except for a quick warmup run so I could set the carbs, since pulling the tranny for a spline lube; I needed to make sure everything was in good working order.:evil

Initially, I planned a pavement ride down Hwy177 south of Cottonwood Falls.

But, the backroads were too tempting!

So, I turned off of 177 at the next county road. There are 525 miles of roads in Chase County.......only about 50 of those miles are paved.

There are a few homes out in the hills, but mostly, its ranch land. Because of the flint rock, which gives the hills their name, farming is limited to the river and creek bottoms. The rest remains as native tallgrass prairie.

This time of year, the prairie is pretty empty of cattle, but during the Summer, the large ranches are full. The cattle stay for three months, May to August, while the grass is really growing; so you need to be careful when crossing the open range.

Today, I had to look really hard to find any cattle.

Eventually, I managed to find a few out grazing.

But, for the most part, I had the prairie all to myself.

If you do decide to pass this way at some point, and want a place to camp, this spot is available.

Its 5 miles of pavement to Hwy 50 and there are plenty of shade trees around the shop.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

When I was told I was being assigned to Ft. Riley, KS in the early 90s I was very unhappy. I imagined it as you alluded to, but was pleasantly surprised by the rolling hills and great riding roads of Eastern Kansas. We remember our time there as one of our best assignments.

I thought you sold your GS??

I did sell the PD, and bought a thumper 650GS. But, I missed the airhead feeling; so I sold it and got a '93 R100R.....kind of a GS without the tall seat! Easier to pickup, too. Today was the first off pavement ride I'd done on her, and it was great. I need to find a set of DS tires for it though.

Tom

I've wanted to spend time in that area for many years since part of my family moved to Reading Ks. area from Missouri in the 1880's. When I went down, near Alma heading to Johnson City rally I was headed to Reading to take pictures of graves in boot hill. Your pictures go well with the book "Prairy erth" by William Least Heat Moon.

Jack

Also thought the school house project was a great idea.

I rode through Kansas on RT 36 end to end on my way to Redmond from Central Pa last year and I have to say it was one of my greatest days on a motorcycle in a long time. Completed my Iron Butt that day rode from Terrie Ho ? Indiana to Denver Co 1076 miles and Rt 36 the Lewis and Clark Highway? was an Awesome ride. Sure changed my opinion of Kansas. Beautiful changing scenery, an almost tornado and all was truly a good day.

I've wanted to spend time in that area for many years since part of my family moved to Reading Ks. area from Missouri in the 1880's. When I went down, near Alma heading to Johnson City rally I was headed to Reading to take pictures of graves in boot hill. Your pictures go well with the book "Prairy erth" by William Least Heat Moon.

Jack

Also thought the school house project was a great idea.

I remember reading of your experience. How's the healing going? I rode up to Alma today for giggles and grins. There is a really nice scenic road from Alma to Alta Vista, Old Hwy 10.

I read that book just after discovering Chase County back in '97. It was kinda required for us volunteers out at the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve since so many visitors asked about it. It was really interesting to see the places and to meet a lot of the people he wrote about.

You should see the school now! A Christian group bought it for their headquarters, and they have done a lot of work putting in a new interior, windows, etc. The old gymnasium is now a teen center. I'm really glad it was saved from destruction.

Tom

Kansas boy here from 43-73 & youv'e done a good job of making me homesick. Is the cheese factory still operating in Alma? We used to hit them before or after a hunting trip for bags of curds. One of my old mechanic buddies from apprenticship days in the 60's did live there and a cousin had a ranch near there too. He's gone as is my left tackle from H.S. that had a pharmacy in Eskridge in the 70's. A friend owned the Converse ranch nearby as well.
Kansas is about more than good riding-the Flint Hills while scenic also have some nice fishing streams and an abundance of game. Deer,small game,upland birds and several nice lakes, one near the "Bing Carb guys". I lived on West Union road, just east of there at the point it joins the Kansas(Kaw to me) river where I spent ALL my time growing up.I'll be back for my 50th next summer , thanks for the look...

You're welcome......and yes, the cheese factory is still in Alma.

I came to KS late in life, but better late than never! When it was first suggested that we come to Kansas, I had my doubts. Now, the only doubt I have is that I will ever live anyplace else.

Tom

Kansas has it's own unique beauty! When I was riding in southwest Kansas last weekend (freezing my butt off), it was very cloudy, with low-lying clouds. This isn't an everyday sight in Kansas, so it was a unique opportunity to focus more on the landscape vs. the "big sky" that I so often enjoyed when I used to travel across Kansas regularly on business.

Some of my favorite places in Kansas are: Flint Hills, Pawnee Rock, Eisenhower Museum, Manhattan (The Little Apple), Dodge City, Santa Fe Trail (where you can see the actual wagon ruts), any huge feedlot, Fort Larned, a tall grain elevator off in the distance, Fort Scott, Native Stone Scenic Byway, Smoky Valley Scenic Byway, Lindsborg, Scott State Park, Mount Sunflower, any center-pivot irrigation system, and the Rattlesnake Museum!!

Think it's about time for a ride!!

piperjim

Just as soon as the snow melts, it'll definitely be time to ride! Nothing better than plugging in and letting the miles roll by...........oh, that's right.....you gotta get some heated gear!:bolt

Kansas has it's own unique beauty! When I was riding in southwest Kansas last weekend (freezing my butt off), it was very cloudy, with low-lying clouds. This isn't an everyday sight in Kansas, so it was a unique opportunity to focus more on the landscape vs. the "big sky" that I so often enjoyed when I used to travel across Kansas regularly on business.

Some of my favorite places in Kansas are: Flint Hills, Pawnee Rock, Eisenhower Museum, Manhattan (The Little Apple), Dodge City, Santa Fe Trail (where you can see the actual wagon ruts), any huge feedlot, Fort Larned, a tall grain elevator off in the distance, Fort Scott, Native Stone Scenic Byway, Smoky Valley Scenic Byway, Lindsborg, Scott State Park, Mount Sunflower, any center-pivot irrigation system, and the Rattlesnake Museum!!

Think it's about time for a ride!!

piperjim

Huh, somebody likes feedlots? What gives? I had a dorm room in Emporia that caught the downwind from a BIG ONE! and it would blow you away with stink- not nice!

You're welcome......and yes, the cheese factory is still in Alma.

I came to KS late in life, but better late than never! When it was first suggested that we come to Kansas, I had my doubts. Now, the only doubt I have is that I will ever live anyplace else.

Tom

Odds are I'll never live in the Kansas/midwest again-except courtesy of the MOA. Kansas is listed in the mountain/prairie & Kentucky in the midwest here, so go figure that one out. I used to say I missed the people & not the place-now that many of the people are gone I have to say I miss the place too.

I wondered about PJ's appreciation of large feedlots, too. The only thing I'll say is that some are impressive in their size........and smell! But, those that own them say they smell like money, and maybe they do. I've never had that much "money" in one place: so I wouldn't know! The feedlot in Emporia is now closed.

Tom

Ok, this is going to be a weird post.

First off, Kansas is hardly unique for feedlots. Here in California, anyone driving I-5 between the bay area and LA will well remember the Harris Ranch feedlot, north of Coalinga. And if feedlots smell like money, then it's no wonder that money is known as filthy lucre.

But that's not the weird thing I want to mention. Has anyone else noticed that feedlots have a different... aroma... in different parts of the country? The Harris Ranch lot I mentioned has a strong and pungent odor, but it also has a "dry" character to it. There's a feedlot west of Dodge City (below a vista point, no less!) where I thought the aroma was almost dusty -- I thought I could smell the land in it. And when I lived in the Greyt Northwet, the manure lots there reeked heavy and sickly sweet.

Heh. This is like talking about fine wines! :D I suppose this is what the enologists refer to as Terrior! :D :D

Ok, this is going to be a weird post.

First off, Kansas is hardly unique for feedlots. Here in California, anyone driving I-5 between the bay area and LA will well remember the Harris Ranch feedlot, north of Coalinga. And if feedlots smell like money, then it's no wonder that money is known as filthy lucre.

But that's not the weird thing I want to mention. Has anyone else noticed that feedlots have a different... aroma... in different parts of the country? The Harris Ranch lot I mentioned has a strong and pungent odor, but it also has a "dry" character to it. There's a feedlot west of Dodge City (below a vista point, no less!) where I thought the aroma was almost dusty -- I thought I could smell the land in it. And when I lived in the Greyt Northwet, the manure lots there reeked heavy and sickly sweet.

Heh. This is like talking about fine wines! :D

Maybe you can get a government grant to study this.:D Inquiring minds want to nose!

Tom

Kansas feedlot story

Several years ago on a ride to the mountains, we were passing through Garden City Kansas. We were detoured around the block. What had happened was a very large feed lot manure spreading truck had engaged the unloader and dumped most of it's load in the middle of the street. The police were directing traffic. The street department loader was scooping up the poo and the fire department was washing down the street.

There was an east coast news reporter in town that was writing an article for one of the news magizines. "What is life like in the flyover country" or something like that.

I happened to see the article a few monthes later. Side bar to the article was an article that related the poo spredder incident. The punch line of the side bar was AND NOBODY SEEMED UPSET!!

Several years ago on a ride to the mountains, we were passing through Garden City Kansas. We were detoured around the block. What had happened was a very large feed lot manure spreading truck had engaged the unloader and dumped most of it's load in the middle of the street. The police were directing traffic. The street department loader was scooping up the poo and the fire department was washing down the street.

There was an east coast news reporter in town that was writing an article for one of the news magizines. "What is life like in the flyover country" or something like that.

I happened to see the article a few monthes later. Side bar to the article was an article that related the poo spredder incident. The punch line of the side bar was AND NOBODY SEEMED UPSET!!

I sure am glad my dog wasn't there........He'd been rolling in it!:laugh

But, that's one of the things I love about Kansans. They don't cry over spilt mil......manure.:thumb

Tom

This cartoon's a different take on Kansas and one that parallels my own experience.

http://pptranger.us/ft-riley/

:ha :ha :ha

I read some of the post under the pic. One poster bet he could get to 160mph on that road. While it wasn't on *that* road nor was it 160, the K12RS did show me something I'd never seen before on one similiar. Let's just say it didn't take long to get to CO.:whistle That's why I ride an airhead now; it was just too tempting to open it up!

Tom

Back