• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1988 K75S versus 1995 Kawasaki Concours

L

leothelion

I know that I am comparing apples and Oranges, but since I got used after 8 years of Concourse and now rode the K75S for one whole month and having nothing better to do this morning it occur to me I could write my opinion and stir the pot. Though I ride for years now, I don't consider myself really bike-knowledgeable; so this is just user-level. Some of the points are admittedly frivolous.

I like more in the K75S

1. Has the BMW logo
  2. Has less vibration than the Concours (weird, because it's 3 versus 4 cylinders)
  3. Has LCD gear display (though it's invisible at night)
  4. Seat is way more comfortable, and so is rider's position
  5. Much lover wind noise. But my windshield is too high; so the jury's out; waiting for my new WS from Gustaffson. Note: it's not stock, but a Pichler fairing
  6. Don't have to call Superman to place it in it's center stand
  7. Nicer side bags (though less spacious)
  8. Top bag
  9. Seat comes out and goes in with precision at first try; click
  10. Better mileage (no surprise here)

I liked more in the '95 Concours
  • User interface: turn signal, horn, lights, you name it; surprisingly easier and logical on the Concours
  • Clutch operates with less stress on your hand
  • Gear-shifting is crisper
  • Side stand places bike at reasonable angle; K75 leans too much for my taste
  • Rear brake seems to contribute more to bike braking

These are the first things that come to mind.

Cheers

Leo

HP must not be an issue :D

Well, I cannot compare those things because that comparison would not make sense. It would be like buying a 1-gallon container and then complain that it holds less water than the 2-gallon. I was trying to compare the things that one would expect touring bikes, even of different sizes, to have in common; e.g. ease of turning on the right turn signal, rider's position, etc.

I rode an 80s something Concours a couple years ago. The hp really stood out. My observation was that the Kaw was a sportbike posing as a sport-tourer. Nice bike.

Several years ago, I really wanted a Concours because they seemed to have the most bang for the buck. My friend bought one and I had the opportunity to ride it. It was top heavy and didn't fit me at all. I was very uncomfortable during a very short ride and my desire immediately died. My friend didn't keep the bike long and bought something else.

Back