• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S1000RR Insurance Costs . . . .

CTellman

Hey All,
I was wondering what coverage was purchased and how much are your premiums?
I am sure some riders have stories to tell.
Thanks,
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

When I asked for a quote through progressive.... $400+/month, for a 21 year old male. Needless to say, I am not riding an S1000RR.

North Carolina is significantly higher for insurance than other states. If you ever check sites that have special products for motorcycles, like Progressive or Geico, they rarely write coverage in NC.

iirc, you have to buy bike insurance through your car provider. Friends have told me that the NC government is totally in the pocket of the insurance companies.

even an old fart like me got killed when I was considering a Honda Blackbird, down here in Georgia where the insurance rates are *much* lower than NC.

it seems like, for bikes like these, you have to assume the risk and go without comprehensive.... and hope like hell it's the other guy's fault in an accident.

ian

Insurance . . ..

Ian et al,
I thought I was getting ripped off paying $700/year more for the S1000RR.
I'm 63 years, no tickets, 100-300k liability, $250 deductible collision, uninsured motorist a very average policy. We insure 3 cars, 2 M/C and a utility trailer on one policy. An annual cost of $2400.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

Ian et al,
I thought I was getting ripped off paying $700/year more for the S1000RR.

campbell, unfortunately you are going to buy a set of those nice plastic fairing panels whether you ever scratch them up or not. :no

ian

Mine is with Foremost Insurance and costs $1500yr with 100/300/50, 500 ded, comp and collision. I'm 55 and no tickets. Was with Progressive and it was much higher. I got quotes from Geico and several others. I am waiting on a quote from State Farm. My 2010 r1200gs is $400 more for a total of 1900. Other quotes for just the s1 where 2100 to 2500yr. Ridiculous!

Craiger - those were the numbers I was seeing for the Blackbird I was considering. We're of equal age and almost (ahem) of equal driving records. :whistle

where's the wash my mouth out with soap smilie (it should be a nun, or something....) :ha

I pay $800/yr with progressive in MIchigan. I don't feel so bad after hearing some of the other quotes. I have $300k liability and a $250 deductible for comprehensive and collision.

I am 56, no tickets for 4 years, and that one was removed after traffic school, last one prior to that was going to the Durango National......I have an 09 K13S and mistakenly signed up for an average of about 12,000 miles for my first year of coverage (both parents had just passed and I was just not paying attention and thought it was an aggregate for both bikes). It ran a prorated $1400 or so for 9 months added to my existing RS. When it came time to reup, I compared lots of others and ran all their calculators, etc. No matter the mileage I promised to stay under, the RS added a couple hundred a year to anything I did with the S. So, I played with all those calculators with the S, the S1000RR, GSXR1000, R1, ZX10, etc. It all came up the same and for me in rural CA, it was totally dependant on mileage. Under 2000 for the other bikes yielded abouf $900/yr as I recall. The next break was either 4 or 5k, consistent across bikes and/or vendors just add $300+/- / yr, same for under 9k miles, add another $300/yr. The increase was a little less for 12,000 miles. So, I said I rode the S under 4000 per year, since I still had a ton of miles I could have ridden in the first year, I could have 13,000 on it at renewal. And so far Foremost (my existing carrier and best price by a hundred or so so I stayed with them) has never certified my mileage on any bike in the last 150,000 miles, so I feel 'safe'. As I mentioned, it did not matter whether I had a GSXR, R1, ZX, S1000RR, or K13S, they were all lumped as High Performance. Standard 100/300/50 coverage with $500 deductable, approx $1400 for the two per year. I always wrestle with telling them I commute on the bike and how much I ride, but figure if I don't and then get totalled, I will really get totalled if they can call me on it.

$600/year to insure a 42 year old male with a clean driving record on a 2002 RTP. Usual limits, $250 deductible through Progressive.

I won't buy a RR because I know I'll receive too many performance awards from our local law enforcement agencies.

I find this thread very interesting... I guess luckely I can't afford a S1RR anyway... but in SC you can't use the bike as a primary mode of transportation. So, both of my bikes are for pleasure only. I have max full coverage with towing, gas and the works, with a 500 ded. and pay $600.00 for both bikes... not bad... when I ran liablility only it was around $120.00 a bike per year... so my conclusion is that it really depends on where you live and how the laws are written, which I find not fair, but that is the way it is....

Location, location, location applies to bike insurance as well as real estate. I pay $157/year for full coverage with the usual limits and a $250 deductable on the '93 R100R.

sorry if off-topic.. but 2010 R1200RT in NJ full coverage with Progressive is $310. My '09 Suzuki C50T (for sale) cruiser is $257 and a 1998 KLX300R dual-sport is like $78 or so...

Not too bad for the MOST taxed state in the country...

but cars on the other hand, my wife and mine and just added my son (he's driving a 08 Honda Ridgeline, we have a 335xi and a ls400.... Over $6K a year. Uggghhhh

UPDATE! I just changed to Dairyland Insurance. Best rate I could find for Ga. $676yr for both bikes. For S1000RR and a 2010 BMW R1200GS. 100/300/50, 500 ded comp, 1000 collision, no tics or acci. Cotton States was close but they wanted my cars as well.

Let them know...

I wrote a very detailed letter to my insurance company telling them why I dropped them when I bought my S1000RR. I am sure they will not care about me as an individual but I am convinced that if enough responsible S1000rr riders let them know that we feel we are being discriminated against change may come.

I am 56, no tickets for 4 years, and that one was removed after traffic school, last one prior to that was going to the Durango National......I have an 09 K13S and mistakenly signed up for an average of about 12,000 miles for my first year of coverage (both parents had just passed and I was just not paying attention and thought it was an aggregate for both bikes). It ran a prorated $1400 or so for 9 months added to my existing RS. When it came time to reup, I compared lots of others and ran all their calculators, etc. No matter the mileage I promised to stay under, the RS added a couple hundred a year to anything I did with the S. So, I played with all those calculators with the S, the S1000RR, GSXR1000, R1, ZX10, etc. It all came up the same and for me in rural CA, it was totally dependant on mileage. Under 2000 for the other bikes yielded abouf $900/yr as I recall. The next break was either 4 or 5k, consistent across bikes and/or vendors just add $300+/- / yr, same for under 9k miles, add another $300/yr. The increase was a little less for 12,000 miles. So, I said I rode the S under 4000 per year, since I still had a ton of miles I could have ridden in the first year, I could have 13,000 on it at renewal. And so far Foremost (my existing carrier and best price by a hundred or so so I stayed with them) has never certified my mileage on any bike in the last 150,000 miles, so I feel 'safe'. As I mentioned, it did not matter whether I had a GSXR, R1, ZX, S1000RR, or K13S, they were all lumped as High Performance. Standard 100/300/50 coverage with $500 deductable, approx $1400 for the two per year. I always wrestle with telling them I commute on the bike and how much I ride, but figure if I don't and then get totalled, I will really get totalled if they can call me on it.

Thats odd! I have never been asked by any insurance company how many miles a year I ride a bike.

S1000rr Insurance

I have 3 bikes on my insurance, and believe it or not, the TL1000s is the most costly. It apparently has a huge history of accidents, no theft protection, no traction control, no ABS, etc. etc.
That said, I am 48 and my 3 rides (none is a primary and all are considered "recreational vehicles") is app. 130.00usd or so a month. The keys are:

1.) No tickets
2.) No accidents
3.) Being over 25
4.) Not a primary commuting vehicle

Note that my policy does not cover accidents off of a public road. That means if I crunch the GS on public land or offroad, it's my bill; also means that if I crash on a track, it's my bill, too :( Thus the TL, bought it cheap, fixed it up (not cheap), and track ride it. You also have to be careful of the collateral issue if your motorcycle is under lien. Say you total your bike on the track while under lien and the insurance doesn't cover it. The bank can call your loan defaulted since no collateral now exists to cover the loan. Another thing to watch out for.

18 year old single male living in city of Chicago annual premium is $11.445 (yes11K/year).My buddy's kid just got the bill for it from All****e ,dad make him pay the bike off, get liability only and a lecture that if he total the bike is his money.
Some will say the 18 year old kid got no business riding the bike but he did few rides with me and looks like a responsible kid.

Check Dairyland

Get some quotes for Dairyland. Super rates and discounts at some online motorcycle gear websites.

Back