Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1977 R100RS (euro)

Gravity

1977 R100RS (euro)

My friend has many bikes and I asked him to consider selling me one of his stalled refurb projects. He showed me a 1984 R100S and this 1977 R100RS. He says this bike, the 1977, is a Euro import and one of only 200 or so made by BMW. He has all the parts, had the motor tuned and cared for recently and upgraded the electrics. He also has sanded down all the body work and had planned to pain it.

It needs re-assembly and he claims to have all the new parts for the bike and a clean title. He says it's rare and worth 12-15K when perfect. I balked but he broke the ice with a suggestion of 6k for the bike. I offered that I should get both for 6k and told him I would call him later and chat with him about the money.

When I use the VIN decoder I get the following info:

Chassis number 6080803
    Vehicle code 0306
    Series 2474
    Model R 100 RS
    Body type ohne
    Catalog model ECE
    Production date 1976 / 11
    Engine
    Transmission
    Steering
    Catalyzer NONE

That doesn't mean much to me but I'm sure it is meaningful to someone. Also, when fully dressed and in great shape I don't see them going for much more than $8,000 with a more common price of about 4k.

Is this a project worth more than I think it is? I'm interested in another project bike as the pistons are still frozen in my R100's cylinders but I'm not sure this is it.

I appreciate your honest feedback,

Gravity
    Attached Images Attached Images

The attached image is not a 1977 R100RS

It is a later single sided swingarm R100RS model 1992-3?
    Last edited by Darryl Cainey; 01-25-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: omission
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

I don't get the rarity...200 produced? In 1977 model year alone, it appears over 6500 were built for Europe with the 608xxxx VIN.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I think they made 200 with 40mm exhaust.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

FYI,

I sold this US first edition 1977 RS for $7500 with 40,000 miles about 2 years ago.

You'll notice some of the stock items that make the bike special including: pinstriped spoke rims, blue brake calipers and 40mm carbs just to name a few.

This bike was restored in the early 90's (repainted and many parts refreshed) prior to my purchace. It came out of a private collection, just sitting collecting dust.

It only had 22,000 miles when I bought it for $8000 in 2001. The paint job was thin and it showed some wear after I rode it pretty hard for 7-8 years and 20K miles.

The bike looked awesome and rode wonderfully fast in a straight line. I never cared for the handling characteristics when cornering at higher speeds. I stayed away from making any modifications as not to take away from the stock set up on the bike. I bought a super low mileage and clean 1995 Mystic with the cash and it handled, rode, stopped sooo much better than the RS. It was night and day.

Gravity
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    I think they made 200 with 40mm exhaust.
    He had a 1984 R100S sitting beside it and it had the smaller exhaust. He claims the exhaust on the 1977 was 40mm.

Also indicates that the VIN is euro spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    Also indicates that the VIN is euro spec?
    This site:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/chassispage...hassis1000.htm

lists VINs and separates US and non-US machines. The 608xxxx is the non-US bikes while 618xxxx would be US bikes.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Gravity
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    This site:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/chassispage...hassis1000.htm

lists VINs and separates US and non-US machines. The 608xxxx is the non-US bikes while 618xxxx would be US bikes.
    The other VIN search engine confirmed that it was made in 11/76 as well. Looks like a non US bike.

There are several features that make the 77RS special in some folks minds. Including being the first fully faired BMW with a wind tunnel tested design.

Below is a link to a review of the 77RS -
    http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/mo...mw-r100rs.aspx

Cut-away picture here -

Below is my bike, which I paid a BMW dealer $1600 for about 9 years ago. My bike was together and I rode it the 7 miles home. I was looking for a project when I bought the bike. A colleague saw a picture of the bike that I had on my computer screen. He got excited about it being a 77RS, I'd no idea it was considered special. Since the purchase I've spent a bit more sprucing it up a bit. It rides quite well (I've a few other bikes with which to compare the 77RS). Currently, I have the 77RS insured for about $7000.

There are t-shirts, coffee mugs, and other items that can be purchased that commemorate the 77RS -
    http://shop.cafepress.com/r100rs

Other websites of interest are shown below. One of these websites allows owners of 77RS bikes to register the VINs. I've corresponded with the fellow that owns the bike that was assembled next to mine.
    http://www.ibmwr.org/rs77/
    http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photopages/photosr100rs.htm

i have yet to meet a '77RS in that silver blue that is NOT 40mm.
    "200" was BMWs mythical magical number for ALL their early "limited edition" models. 200 1978 Motorsport RS models, 200 38mm '78 S Motorsports, 200 Australian "police" Motorsport S models, 200 1978 gold RS Euros, 200 '78 Belgian Polizei RS models, etc. NONE of these were ever confirmed by BMW or any other source, nor do i believe that they are confirmable.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Gravity
    I believe I uploaded the wrong photo. He also has a 1984 R100 that is one of the "Last" of the production models. Someone correctly pointed that out. Here is a pic of the 1977 R100RS undressed.

Gravity
    Attached Images Attached Images

any knowledge as to color of bodywork? mechanical status?
    fwiw- his price of $6k for a project RS is kinda high. you might have gleaned that from other responses as well.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Gravity
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    any knowledge as to color of bodywork? mechanical status?
    fwiw- his price of $6k for a project RS is kinda high. you might have gleaned that from other responses as well.
    The body work is all off and has been sanded/primed. It wasn't ever hurt but it was weathered from use/storage.

The mechanical status is that it ran 7 years ago and had a total rework by a local BMW mechanic with a very good rep. It has been sitting in this state pretty much ever since.

Yes, the $6,000 price tag took my breath away. There are a ton of unknowns and some serious work to be done on the bike. The painting of the pieces won't be cheap or free and if I did this I would want it done right so I figure at least $1,000 for paint/striping. Putting it all back together sounds like a challenge though.

He also told me that the electrics were upgraded. No points and electric start as well as an optional kick start.

I was thinking 6k for both bikes.

We'll see,

Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    i have yet to meet a '77RS in that silver blue that is NOT 40mm.
    "200" was BMWs mythical magical number for ALL their early "limited edition" models. 200 1978 Motorsport RS models, 200 38mm '78 S Motorsports, 200 Australian "police" Motorsport S models, 200 1978 gold RS Euros, 200 '78 Belgian Polizei RS models, etc. NONE of these were ever confirmed by BMW or any other source, nor do i believe that they are confirmable.
    Darrin's(60755) '77RS had the smaller exhaust. I knew both of the first 2 owners. The late Art Grisanti bought the bike new from Leo's BMW/Kawasaki in Memphis,Tn.. I got the opportunity the ride many times with Art on that bike back in the 80'sand early 90's. I helped take care of the collection Big D was talking about. The owner bought the bike from Art and wanted it freshened up. I diassembled the bike for the resto, and noticed that the bike had the smaller exhaust. I did the head work on that bike and opened up the exhaust to take the larger exhaust. Allways neat to see that bike in picture or in person. Brings back good memories of Art and Darrin.

R 100 srs

I at one time heard of a special edition BMW R 100RS that was an RS built with S spec components. The info given to me was that there were 200 made and it was badged a R 100SRS. Don't know if its true or just one of those urban legend things but that bike may be one. I have seen one RS that the owner claimed was an R 100SRS, I didn't ask for proof or details instead just filed it away as big deal its his not mine and left it at that.