• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice needed

LORAZEPAM

leave my monkey alone
Well gang it looks like I may be adding to the stable and getting rid of an old friend. I go tomorrow to look at a 1983 R100RS. What I need to know is what to look for as far as problems or potential problems. I will get to ride it as the temps will be above 30. I know the performance will not come close to my R1150RS, but I wanted to have both generations just beause. I apprecitate any advice you guys can give. Milage is 31k, pretty low for a bike that old, so should I check out anything due to this?

Good luck, my friend

I'm proud of you, Loraz. Airheads rule.

I'd look at the rubber parts.

If you are comfortable with the mileage being correct, you'll want to get the splines lubed. Be sure to look at the cables, especially the clutch cable. Both ends

Lift the fuel cap and get a good whiff. If you smell anything other than fresh gasoline, figure on a good carb cleaning. You should probably clean the carbs anyway, if the mileage is correct, there has surely been some fuel gone bad in it at some point in time.

Poor idling can be a sign of valves out of adjustment, and there are some people who think that these vintage (early 80's) bikes have an issue with valve seat recession-the leaded/un-leaded fuel issue. If it runs badly out of balance, check the compression on both cylinders.

If it hasn't run for a while, it will smoke like hell. That, by itself, is not unusual, and could take several run/stop cyles to clear up. It might take up to a half hour of running to make it quit the first time. If you get to ride it for a while, park it on concrete and linger and wait another half hour to see if it bleeds any lubricant. If or when you get it home, you'll want to change all the drive line oil and the motor oil obviously.

Another odd issue I've seen with older, low mileage airheads is the throttle cam drive being worn from pulling against stiff/gritty throttle cables.

A bike that old with low mileage has probably not had regular brake fliud changes. A potentially expensive and troublesome situation.

Jeez, I hope I haven't talked you out of it.

I'll just say...

Good Luck! :thumb

I absolutely love my R100RS. I had most of the stuff that Woodnsteel talked checked out AFTER I bought the bike. Turned out that the previous owner(s) liked to ride it a lot, was good about oil changes and valve adjustments, but not so good with maintaining the tranny and final drive. I changed the brake fluid after I had it for a few months. It was the color of coffee.

Pics when you get it, because I suspect that you will in fact buy it, and ju vill like it! :brow

Lucky you,Lorazepam,I had an 84 R100RT and loved it.
I had the diode board go and brake/master cylinder problems...changed all the brake lines,new pistons etc....not cheap but...other than that,nothing much.

I would have liked to have been able to keep it...

Honestly guys, I am considering a swap. I have a pickup that I don't use, and I am going to drive it over and look at the bike. It is supposed to be close to 40 degrees tomorrow, so I am wearing leathers and taking the title. We shall see. I appreciate the input, and it would be nice to have the first generation keeping the last generation company.

Brake fluid

an indicator of the level of maintenance could be the color of the brake fluid. Through the master cylinder reservior you can tell if the brake fluid is new (clear) or old (brown). A fastidious owner would not let the brake fluid get old. The brake rotors could be grooved, this is replaceable, but a project. Look at the fairing, the inside by the handlebars. you might be able to tell you if it has fallen over and been bondo'd because the repair on the inside may be less thorough than on the outside. The fairing bracket below the cylinders bolts to nuts fused into the fiberglass, these can be stripped or pulled out (again repairable, but possibly a point of price negociation). Really by looking at it you can tell if it was loved or just lived with. Hope that the bike has been lavished with undue attention (is it a good thing if the pin stripes have been waxed off the paint?). Good luck

No R100RS

I got there and looked at the collection of bikes he had, and rode two of them. In the R100RS, I saw a lot of basic work and a lot of small parts waiting to be bought. The right side smoked, and the left didn't. All the bikes were parked on carpet. There werent any oil stains under any of them.

The bike I rode home put a smile on my face before I hit 3rd gear. It was truly fun to ride and felt like a bicycle after riding the R1150RS for the last year. It was smoother than the R850R I rode prior to the RRS. Roll on was excellent, and with a fork brace, some modern tires, and a beef up of suspension to accomodate my above average weight, I have a bike that is a keeper.
I came home with a 1984 R80ST that hit 10k on the clock as I brought it home. Pictures will follow after I take off the hideous hondaline soft bags zip tied to the bag mounts.

It ran very solidly the mirrors didnt even begin to buzz at 6k+ RPM. Throttle roll on was outstanding, and it makes me wonder why I left the 800cc class to begin with. Pretty amazing stuff for a 21 year old motorcycle.

Attachments

• r80st.jpg
    r80st.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 254
Wow

That is one awesome looking bike... :thumb
Congratulations...Can't Wait To See It In Person... ;)
Nice Birthday Present BTW.... :)

Wow, nice turn of events!

Neat, unique bike, too!

Did the hardbags come with? I see the mounts.

10,000 miles? Pffffttt!

Congrats, is all I gotta say. :thumb

No bags, but mounts are there. Not sure If I will go with hard or soft bags, depends on how much fun it is to ride loaded.

Congratulations

The R80ST is a rare and desirable bird. Bruce Preston, a BMW historian had this to say about it in his 1990 history of the marque (updated in 1996):

..."Just two years away from the new K-series, more was still to come. When the R80 GS was launched there was a concerted cry for a road version. This came in July as the R80ST and, as is so often the case when a machine is produced by popular demand, it was not a success and attracted lukewarm reviews.
It was, in fact, a bit of a hybrid, The GS frame with its single leg suspension was used, As were the exhaust system and motor. A smaller front wheel took over from the 21 in off-road one, utilising the GS hub and CS rim. The R45/R65 series contributed the close-fitting front mudguard, The instrument panel, Halogen headlight and handlebars came from the American version of the R65 (Bruce is English). The result was a light 403lb (183 kg), reasonably fast motorcycle with a top speed of 108 MPH (174kph) that did most things well but had no real attention-grabbing feature, although in 1982 one magazine voted it 'the most practical motorcycle of the year'. It remained in the catalouges for a few years, then was just quietly dropped - which was a pity as it was a good middle-range bike, unlucky to be overshadowed by the macho GS."

For comparison the same book lists the weight of that period's RS 60lbs heavier with 70 HP at 7250 RPM. The spec page lists the ST's HP@ 50 at 6500. (Hmmmmmmm?!)

Good job Loraz. Good motorcycle with low mileage, Great fun! :twirl

Outstanding !

Let me get this straight.....you traded an un-used pick-up truck for that?
What a score.!.!.!.congratulations.

Congrats! Put a Telefix fork brace on it and some heavier oil in the forks. Four pounds per horsepower AND light weight makes for GREAT handling compared to massive, lumbering oilheads.

I hear you Flash, this thing is a hoot to ride. Looking for a fork brace this evening, along with a stainless brake line. The original has seen better days, and I dont think I want to ride it much till I change it. Got my gasket oring and oil filter today so I can make usre the oil is fresh, (it looks new) and a fresh filter before it hits the road.

Where is the best place to order a stainless steel brake hose? I really dont want to wait a month for it to come in.

Hey Loraz, Re-psycle would be closest to you. I'm not sure if they carry that kinda stuff, but the postage would be cheap and quick.

Back