• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pilot R2's

The Pilot Road 2's are Michelins. I just had a set installed last week. ILm liking them very much so far. Only a few hundred miles on them though.

The PR2 has been the "consensus" tire for giving the best combo of mileage and handling on the RT - meaning it gets more "votes"than anything else. If you value omething else- like ultimate track performance- you would want something else.

I've used them as well as RoadSmarts and the OEM BT-020. Compared to these two, the PR2s offer more stable corner turn in and longer life than the RoadSmarts though not noticeably more traction to me. The PR2s are way better than the OEM BT-020 that had poor cold and wet traction.

Whether the PR3s are better remains to be seen. The tread changes from the PR2 to PR3 suggest that Michelin is trying to reduce perceptible tread noise and improve wet weather braking and possibly cornering. What effect they have on mileage isn't going to be known for at least a year until owner reports begin to surface though perhaps Michelin will publish their expectations and design goals for the PR3 eventually.

No reason not to buy PR2s. Just remember that there is a B load range rear for the RT so get the right tire. No B load range for front in the PR2s. Have read that the PR3s have load range B for the RT available for both front and rear but have not personally confirmed that. Both PR2s and PR3s come from a plant in Thailand though my current PR2 load range B rear was made in Spain.

Yikes

Don't want to start a verbal feud.....I had the Metzlers on my R1200R and really found them great in corners and driving in general....I'd like to try the PR2's but man, if you don't like'm, tough titty said the kitty...an expensive thing to be stuck with......without checking on loads of websites, are they comparable in price?...my local bmw tech had his tires stock on at 45% off....maybe I should see if he has any PR2's.....

tires

Just one more persons opimion . I have had three sets of PR2's and really , really liked them. They were great in the rain, great in the twisties, just great all around except - I have a K1200RS with the PR2's and it handles fantastic but the tiresw started to cup at about 6000 miles. I then only got about 8000-8500 miles out of a set. The cupping got a little noisey and developed a slight vibration. Incidentally, I check my air pressure every time i go out on a ride. no issue there. FWIW Metz's are wearing great with excellent traction as well. No cupping at 8500 miles.

PR2's

Just spoke with my tech and he can give me 45% off in stock PR2's...he said he never uses anything else and as far as engineering is concered, nothing comes close..he likes the metz's but says they will wear quicker....he's offered me a set for 280 plus tax and installation.....anyone want to buy a pair of Bridgestones with 1000kms on them (600 miles)???? I'll let them go cheap!!!!!:D

thanks

Just got a set of PR3's for that price from one of the Internet tire dealers. We do our own mounting, so no issues with finding someone to mount them.

And you can keep those B-Stones! :laugh:laugh:laugh

PR2's

ok..bought a pair at 45% off list....will get them mounted soon...heard good things about these..hope to be content with their performance...

tj

Back