• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Broken Zipper

D

DrCiao

So, the zipper on my Reflect Leather Jacket isn't doing so well. You zip it up and the zipper splits. Anyone ever have a zipper replaced? Thoughts?

So, the zipper on my Reflect Leather Jacket isn't doing so well. You zip it up and the zipper splits. Anyone ever have a zipper replaced? Thoughts?
Not familiar with the jacket but if you don't have someone locally that does alterations a good source for the service is the local drycleaner. Sometimes a cobbler with a more stout machine is needed for leather. Really not a bad fix.

Zipper preventive maintenance & repair

This is on my website from when I used to repair tankbags:
Here is your chance to "do it yourself" following these simple directions. First it is important to clean and lubricate your tankbag zippers. They are full of the road grime that you routinely wash off of your bike. I use a silicon spray, apply liberally, wipe zipper with a clean rag, reapply and operate the slide. What a difference!

You should also be aware that most, but not all BMW tankbags use locking tab zippers. To release the lock you pull out on the pull tab, perpendicular from the direction of the slide travel.

If you have a zipper that seperates after being closed, you can often repair this by squeezing the slide together with a pair of pliers. You want to squeeze it just slightly, not to the point that the slide binds on the cloth portion of the zipper.

Note: This method works on any zipper that is not too worn, including jackets, pants and Stitches. Lube your tent zippers too, nothing worse than a 2AM nature call and being unable to get out!

Is there any chance you can send the jacket back to the manufacturer and get them to repair it? I did that with a pair of pants where the long leg zipper failed.

I asked the shop where I got the jacket and they said it was just out of warranty, so sending it to BMW wasn't going to happen. They had a local person they used for repairs, but as I live over an hour away, I kept the jacket for a safe and warm ride home.

Sometimes a cobbler with a more stout machine is needed for leather.

I'd take it to a local "canvas" shop. The guy down the street did the zippers on my sailing foulies and they turned out great. I think he charged $20 for the zippers and labor for the bibs, and the jacket.

Yup, either a shoe repair place, they do more than shoes, like purses, etc. Or a good dry cleaner. Last year I had a jacket zipper replaced. I went to the fabric store and picked out one I liked, the same length as the one on my jacket. The teeth were much larger. I then took the jacket and the zipper to a dry cleaner that does alterations....and they replaced the zipper for about 25 bucks. Bargain! Jacket is as good as new.
BTW, my zipper was doing the same thing as yours....those little teeth get worn out.

Are we doing metal or plastic zippers? Metal will scratch the paint?

I found a local shop that wants $45 to do the zipper. That's not including the zipper itself.

Sometimes your slider gets out of whack. I'd take a long look at it, and a slider on a working item and see if you notice a difference in clearances etc. Sometimes a firm grip with a leatherman or needle nose and you are back in business. They can "loosen" if they get pulled or tweaked too hard.

Maybe you did this already, and I'm insulting your intelligence. But if someone else looks here and is having this problem give it a shot.

Rob

There used to be a place in the mid west around Chicago called, I think, Dr. Zipper. they would replace your zipper and/or add a three inch extension via two zippers to your leather jacket.
Don't know if they are still in business but I think I saw an ad for them in Rider magazine last year.

I used them about 10 years ago to replace the zipper on my Heine Gerike Paris to Dakar jacket.

AGS

Hey Lmo1131, what was the name of the sailing place that did your jacket? Was it actually in Pismo?

Bob Weis (post #6) gave some GREAT advice. Maybe he can elaborate and "zippers" become a sticky in this forum. We all have more plastic zippers than we can count. Maybe he (or you) can answer my first question: what common products contain silicone for cleaning and "greasing" zippers? Most of these automotive products don't list ingredients. Is WD40 good? I've been using something called "Eagle One Protectant" with good results, but you probably wouldn't find it in the US.

If you have a zipper that starts then separates, here is my addition to Bob Weis' advice: After cleaning and lubing the zipper, make sure the slider is all the way down then insert the little metal tab all the way and zip up only a couple inches. If the zipper separate, un-zip pulling gently on alternate sides. Take a very close look at the gap in the slider where it meets the gap in the little metal gizmo at the bottom. If it is wider, THIS is what you want to gently squeeze with a needle nose plier. When that gap is identical, the zipper should work, assuming something else hasn't been wrecked.

Worked for me on a very nice rain jacket which hasn't zipped for over a year. God, I love this forum!

Are we doing metal or plastic zippers? Metal will scratch the paint?

I found a local shop that wants $45 to do the zipper. That's not including the zipper itself.

There ya have it...get 'er done...

Back