• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Things Worth the Ride in Pennsylvania

Hey Statdawg
Thanx for the correction on the Martin Guitar factory. If I can swing it I may spend a little $$$ there and ship a classical guitar home. I already have a steel string Martin.

Here is a top secret one for you vintage AMA riders. In the town of Shunk is a small garage owned by Ed Fisher. He's the father of Gary Fisher an AMA racer from the '70's.

Ed was a factory Triumph rider in the '50's and has a great collection of bikes and even better stories to tell if you catch him on a good day. The garage should be easy to find since the town is not much larger. Very unassuming place filled will all types of bikes and they all run. Just stop in and I hope you catch him. He loves motorcycles and you will like traveling that neck of the woods on the twisty road.

I worked for Ed when he had his shop in Parksburg and watched his son race at Daytona back in the 70's.. We try to get together at the Oley Antique Swap meet in April of each year..

Bills Old Bike Barn

Bill's Bike Barn is located on Route 11 in Bloomsburg, PA adjacent
to Bill's Custom Cycles, minutes off of I-80.

Their website calls it a "A Unique collection of Vintage Motorcycles and Americana Memorabilia".

www.billsbikebarn.com

Jim Thorpe

Jim Thorpe is a scenic ride from Bloomsburg. It is always featured as one of the best mountain bike places in North America. From the many summit trails one can see the Leigh Gorge that offers white water rafting, bicycling paths, flyfishing and a train excursion. The town is situated in a tight river valley and was dubbed Little Switzerland of America long before North Caroline and Colorado resorts took the same name. Its the former home of the Packer family, industrialist that owned the Leigh Canal, Bethlelem Steel, Leigh Valley Railroad and descendants stretched their reach into health care, and they founded Leigh University.

The original town was named Mauch Chunk and was later renamed when the destitute wife of Olympic athlete Jim Thorpe was looking for a proper burial place for her husband. The town raised money and he is entombed on a hill not far from village center. The main reason to get Jim Thorpes body to town was the draw to create a major sports complex on the flats of the Leigh River, a grand football stadium and baseball field would attract teams and boost the declining town as king coal was fading as residents were switching to cleaner fuel oil. Thankfully someone remembered the terrible flood that destroyed the canal docks and locks in the late 1800's and thought it wasn't a very good idea. However today the warehouse industry is attempting fate. And the son of Jim Thorpe is trying to have his fathers remains returned to Native American land in Oklahoma for a proper burial. http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=5323950 So I am not sure if this outdoor adventure town will be renamed Mauch Chunk once again. But regardless of coal, sports, historical imporatnce the people here are innovative and will always prosper with the change of fate.

The Packer mansion is worth seeing and the village streets offer many eating and shopping opportunities among its eight national historic buildiings. Race Street looks old world with its many stone townhouses built for the craftsmen that the Packer family employed. There is an attempt to bring back the gravity switchback railroad, Americas first rollercoaster that was once used to bring coal down the mountain from Summit Hill to the Leigh Canal and later thrill early American tourist.

Another interesting stop is the old Jail, a few Molley Maquires were hang there, some may have been innocent. For those enjoying the paranormal the place is haunted. Many people catch orbs on their photographs and staff feel being watched and others get touched. For those that don't believe in such things there is a feeling of reverance in the place. The famous hand print that doesn't exist can be seen, the reproduction gallows sit at one end of the block add to the attraction as if the ghost do not wish to be forgotten.

The ghosts of the Molly Maguires are all through the coal region. There is even one warning people in Centralia to stay away from the toxic fumes, another haunts the Bloomsburg Jail and Court House. To learn more of their history read their account. Matter of fact if it were not for their struggle to improve conditions in the mines, the recession of the 1870's, the Latimar Massacre where protesters were killed by Luzerne County Sheriffs and add the mining strike of the early part of the twentieth century our entire national labor enviroment would be differant today. For those that believe in fair wages, benfits and job security ought to thank the coal region of Pennsylvania. All I ask is at least ride our roads.

More info

http://mauchchunkhistory.com/historical.html

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3WBapwu_wmc" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I worked for Ed when he had his shop in Parksburg and watched his son race at Daytona back in the 70's.. We try to get together at the Oley Antique Swap meet in April of each year..

:bow

I thought there would be someone among us that knew him.

Hey Statdawg
Thanx for the correction on the Martin Guitar factory. If I can swing it I may spend a little $$$ there and ship a classical guitar home. I already have a steel string Martin.

Beware as I think you can only by accessories like strings and t-shirts.

I've been drooling over the catalog as well and hope to make a visit.

The off limits area at Hermys is another site to be seen.

Moto Morini is in there.

Not really..if they're not busy..ask Herm or Chris to show the collection of Moto Morini and (pre-Hinkley) Triumph parts that they have left.. However they have been advised about the Rally..so they are gearing up for that

Not really..if they're not busy..ask Herm or Chris to show the collection of Moto Morini and (pre-Hinkley) Triumph parts that they have left.. However they have been advised about the Rally..so they are gearing up for that

I saw them many times over the years including visiting Herm Sr. at the warehouse or Union House. He is a great cook.

The main attraction for me in PA is the plethora of small twisty back roads available. There is some very nice, off the beaten path, technical stuff if you look for it.

I saw them many times over the years including visiting Herm Sr. at the warehouse or Union House. He is a great cook.

Ooooh! The Union House is a must for GRAVY FRIES!!!!!

I just finished my low-fat southwest turkey casserole dinner. Thanks....now I'll be thinking of gravy fries all night. :bluduh

Oops! Misspoke....I got the Union and the PC Hotel confused.

Still want gravy fries tho...

Speaking of Triumph's and MotoMorini, did you ever visit Guy Zerby's shop in Spring Mills (on PA 45)?

Ooooh! The Union House is a must for GRAVY FRIES!!!!!

I just finished my low-fat southwest turkey casserole dinner. Thanks....now I'll be thinking of gravy fries all night. :bluduh

The PC Hotel's fries are too big.......order a small.

The Union House has nice Italian food but their crab cakes rock.

Speaking of Triumph's and MotoMorini, did you ever visit Guy Zerby's shop in Spring Mills (on PA 45)?

I was up there about (2) years ago and he was kind enough to show me around his shop. There are still several never sold (pre-Hinkley) Triumphs out on his front show room. Might take another ride up there this summer now that I've recently picked up a '73 TR5T.

Back