• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wiring harness/instrument cluster

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
So, I'm trying to solve my intermittent neutral light. Symptoms I've noticed: light flickers while bike idling, goes off and on (when it should be on), turning the handle bars can sometimes effect the light, and while moving the main wiring harness at the main plug at the instrument cluster ever so slightly-the neutral light goes on and off. I've determined that the harness is good with a digital multimeter (DMM). So, I bench tested the instrument cluster (with a spare motorcycle a battery and alligator clips) and determined the light socket/circuit board was not working properly. Since many people have complained about this weak link in the cluster, and my lack of time to find repair solution, I ordered a new one. The lights in the Instrument cluster work great now; however, I was not pleased to find my problem still persists. At first I was baffled--most likely due to my frustration that I hadn't solved problem. I double checked the wiring harness using a DMM and it checked out good again. I bench tested the instrument cluster, as I did previously, and it works fine. I double checked the bulb holders and sockets, and everything is good. I swapped bulbs from one without the problem and that did not help. So, this leads me to one probable cause, one of the female connectors in the main wiring harness plug is too big, but I can't quite figure out how to compress them slightly for a better fit. Too much and I may destroy the plug let alone possibly having trouble removing the plug. Anybody have a good suggestion here?

Wiring Harness . . . .

I think the plugs on the harness are female where they enter the cluster. I had a similar situation. The cluster connections are s/s and the harness are alum. The cluster recepticles are slit so they could be tightened up a little or there could be a broken solder connection. Make sure you lubricate the connections with dielectric grease. The harness is over $330. and a few hours to replace.
Good Luck!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

Just remember that dielectric grease is non-conductive by the very nature of the name and, if you add too much in the wrong place, could actually make things worse. Still, it is great for getting plugs to seat properly and keep moisture out of connections.

Did you ever get this sorted out? Was it a break in the wiring harness under the steering head?

Interesting solution! I've replaced the plug with a good used one to handle a similar problem, but your idea seems much simpler. I like the idea of drilling a hole through to the back side - and silicone seal would probably be enough to seal and retain it.

Back