• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding in Big Bend National Park

Voni

sMiling
Staff member
Yesterday ; )

Sunny and 70.

Took a ride and then a hike in Boquillas Canyon.

Can't wait for the border to reopen! (April 2011)

http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/nn335/Glaves/2011 Boquillas Canyon/?albumview=slideshow

P1060844.jpg

Voni
sMiling

Thx:)

Been there twice, once in Summer July heat and then my favorite:) February visit. I definately prefer Big Bend in Winter. I camped and the nights get very cold in Marathon in Febraury, just to the North a few miles and I should have camped in the park where it was warmer near the river. 15* that night I won't forget. GSA1200 hated the morning grind, with 20/50w oil in the boxer and so cold. I loved the rides there and I know you live so closeby. Thanks for the pic, nice:). PS; I also did quite a few miles of GSA dirt riding there, around BB State Park and never felt so lonely, all alone(so few people) out there in nowhere lands... Nice. Randy

To us, one of the very best parts is the solitude. Our first spring break the locals were talking about how crowded it would be.

We were amazed how that huge park swallowed up people and that there were lots of places where solitude reigned!

Cold overnights, even in the park, this time of year. What surprised me was that Rio Grande Village gets colder than the Chisos Basin!

BBNP's Daily report is here:
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/daily_report.htm

Voni
sMiling

Ah, yes. Rio Grande Village!

I camped there for 10 consecutive years during the week of Thanksgiving, along with a lot of other members of the Houston BMW Club. For the most part the weather was very good. However, in '91 and '93 it was cold. VERY cold! The friday after Thanksgiving '93 at about 9:am it was 17 degrees! We rode to Lajitas anyway. It warmed up considerably over the next couple of days and the trip back to Midland was almost pleasant.

There are a lot of really good (funny) stories about these trips.

Ride safe and often,

Jordan

Big Bend

I always save vacation days between christmas & new year and plan to ride there one year in the near future.

I love it down there. The best part to me is the quietness and silence. Did this country boys heart some good. The place is so dark at night that you can see stars forever. Milky Way shows up good. Grab binoculars out of the tank bag, grab a bud light and check it out. Old KLR had a ball through Black Gap Canyon. Be back soon as I can.

Beautiful pictures, thanks Voni. Some friends and I are headed to BBNP for a weeks vacation at the end of this month. Your pictures only whet our anticipation for what we hope to be a great time.

Back