• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Buying a 1998 K1200RS Issues to look for?

rozemab

Hello,

I'm a fellow BMW owner lurking from the airhead forum.

Getting the K bike itch and I wanted to know the forum's opinion on the 1998 K1200RS. I have been looking at a model with low mileage (3400) that appears to be in excellent condition but the owner does not know much about the history of the bike.

Reading different sources indicate the '98 had some major issues. I was wondering if those issues are a show-stopper or not. From what I have read 1) defective fans, 2) possible head gasket failures 3) defective main seals/frying clutches 4)drive shaft high wear issues at the pinion gear.

I realize that one reported problem does not make all bikes suspect but since I have not followed the K bike scene since ~1996, I need some education and guidance on what to look for when I go visit and ride the bike.

thanks, Brian

Just a thought,

A 13 year old bike with more than one owner ("seller doesn't know much about the history of the bike") that only has 3400 miles?????? That's less than 300 miles a year!!!

How did the original owner plop down $16K of a bike and not ride it at LEAST that much the FIRST year.

How did subsequent owners not ride it?

The mileage can't be right. Do a smell test. If it smells like fish, somethings probably fishy.

:dance:dance:dance

While we all know there are a few bikes out there that just don't get ridden, I have to agree with Lee. I would try to do a DMV search to determine prior owners or at least if mileage was recorded at the prior sale. If it truely only has this low mileage, then of course, all the rubber/hoses, etc will need inspection or replacement as any bike would. But the darned thing is not even broken in if that is true mileage. None of the issues mentioned should be a show stopper if you are mechanically inclined and get a reasonable price. Like any brick, they run forever..........Mine is still running very strong and I still love it.

Get the Vin # and take it to local dealer and see if any work has been done to it.

I called BMW NA and confirmed 3 or the 4 recalls were performed on the bike. The forth recall is free of charge too.

Have not called the local dealer. Can they see maintenance records for other dealers, even those out of state?

1998 k1200rs recalls

what recall were there for that year model, the priciest issue i found on my 1998 k1200rs when i bought it with 16,400 miles on it. [didnt get ridden much] was the steering stabilizer, that was 250 dollars . ouch
r.eaton
m1aspring@gmail.com

what recall were there for that year model, the priciest issue i found on my 1998 k1200rs when i bought it with 16,400 miles on it. [didnt get ridden much] was the steering stabilizer, that was 250 dollars . ouch
r.eaton
m1aspring@gmail.com

r.eaton,

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/09/1998/bmw/k1200rs/index.html

Recall ID #41611 - ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Recall Date: SEP 12, 2000
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Model Affected: BMW K1200RS
Units Affected: 2368 Recall Details

Recall ID #64830 - ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Recall Date: SEP 12, 2000
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Units Affected: 188 Recall Details

Recall ID #31820 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Recall Date: OCT 14, 1998
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Units Affected: 1000 Recall Details

Recall ID #1771 - SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Recall Date: AUG 08, 1997
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Units Affected: 973 Recall Details

1998 k1200rs dampner

the dampner puked its oil out leaving a trail of oil down the fork.
thank you for passing on the info on the recall, i will have to do some ck,ing on them
ride safe
rus

Have not called the local dealer. Can they see maintenance records for other dealers, even those out of state?

They can not see what service work was done at other dealers, but they can see what recalls were done.

I only ride at night, I don't think radar can see me then, right? :laugh

My other rides are a 1977 R100 and a 1958 HD panhead. I don't know the meaning of going fast on a bike!

You will learn what fast is! Trust me.

The fastest I've ever gone on a bike was on my K12RS, and it surprised me at how little difference it felt from legal speeds. Things just went past a lot faster!

Oh, and that darkness/radar thing..........its an urban myth!:laugh

Tom

Back