• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Moving to Boulder/Broomfield?

pauls1150

MOA #24991, south of Los Angeles
Hi All,

Next week, I'll be flying out to Colorado for a job interview with Ball Aerospace in Broomfield. If this results in a good offer, I'd probably go for it and then have to move everything from my present house out to the Broomfield area.

Besides the necessity of having to re-adapt my old bones to snow country -

Might anyone be able to clue me in on what neighborhoods I should look at?

I presently rent a small 2 bedroom house plus detached garage, and everything is pretty much filled up with possessions and stuff - all the standard furniture, some appliances, plus bike plus lots of toolboxes, a couple of guitars (note avatar) and a big amp, and so on.

I'd like to find another 2BR house with a garage, reasonably secure & safe;
It's important to me to be thrifty, so I'd be willing look at, shall we say, somewhat "depressed" areas, as long as they're fairly safe (crime rate) for a single guy who's neither large nor buffed; house & garage actually have to be secure-able for obvious reasons;
I make noise, so an apartment or townhome is out of the question (and townhomes have other issues that I will not deal with);
It would be nice to have easy access to the local bike shops (Denver & Foothills, I believe).
I'm totally ignorant of the general public utilities there, but I will say that I'm not into the idea of propane or septic tanks, I like "real" city utilities.

Any ideas or guidance much appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

Townhomes have "association" fees and dictate how long the grass in the yard may be and what color you can paint your walls. Some won't let you change your own oil in your own garage. NOT happening.

My son and daughter-in-law rented in Boulder for a few years, but did their house-hunting in Broomfield and Westminster. Those two are less expensive than either Boulder or Denver. They got a lovely 3 bedroom house with a large garage and good sized back yard for a very reasonable price.

Thank you, Holly!

and Kent - as a former aerospace electronics tech for over three decades, I can state without reservation that there isn't any company out there that hasn't contributed to some expensive failures. Most don't make the news. We were all made well aware of the infamous O-ring issue.
But this is off-topic...

More inputs regarding where I should be looking would be much appreciated.

Paul

Paul... The Boulder area is a great place to put down a few roots. Last year a publication named it #1 community in the U.S. I don't know about that, but I have a son who moved there fresh out of college to work for HP and he really likes it there. I'm about 75 minutes away but know the area fairly well, and there's a little bit of everything there. You will be able to find what you're looking for.... whether in Boulder or in the surrounding communities. Just let a realtor know your interests, and they will know where to show you around. Would mention Boulder is on the pricey side relatively speaking, and this leads to a community mostly of more senior residents... and Univ of Colorado students. Broomfield is mostly a bedroom community of newer housing, families, and commuters. But there are a lot of communities in this area not far from Ball Aerospace, offering what you are looking for.

Oh, and FWIW, the Boulder area is loaded with great rides just to the west.
nod.gif

Boulder is it

Yes, Boulder is your place!!

In fact, I think they're the only place in Colorado still accepting refugees from California. :laugh

piperjim

A couple of Colorado questions:

Does Colorado have annual (or bi-annual) vehicle inspections?
(Some states don't; the cars here in CA often have crap tires or no brake lights...)
If I go to the local DMV to register my bike (or is it done some other way?), will they actually look for the charcoal canister?
And if the answer to the above is "yes", will they look closely enough to see that it's actually hooked up and not just occupying the space? How closely? (I can fake the vacuum lines.)

Thanks!

some counties, including Denver, have annual emissions for auto. Entire state has emissions for diesel. no part has emissions or other inspections for m/c.

you 're okay with no canister on the bike. If bike is currently registered & titled in CA, it should just be a Transfer of Reg, get newe Title, no inspection req'd. costs are not bad- i pay about $50 annual for reg & prop taxes on my 2001 R11S.

Look to Dacono/Firestone/Frederick area as well- jsut a bit north of the Broomfield/Westminster area, if you don't mind a 20 minute commute.

Boulder is nice, but pricey. Its the better location if you have dredlocks, or only listen to The Dead. Locally, its known as the Independent Republic of Boulder.

Like Farson said, contact a local Real Estate agent, give him/her your particulars, including price range and how far you are willing to go on your commute, and let them do the legwork for you.

You do your license at DMV offices- that is statewide- any will work for you. Registrations happen at county tax offices (County Clerk)- in the county in which you reside.

Snow country? Only if you want it. We've had like 2 or maybe 3 snowfalls this season, in the northern Front Range (Broomfield is Central Front Range) for a total of about 10 inches. Central and Southern mountains have had more like 10 to 12 FT of snow. Same thing for the Western Slope- lotsa snow; but that's about 200 miles west of Denver area. Get ready for extreme localization of weather, with very rapid changes- you have a major thunderstorm, 10 miles away is bright sunshine and no water at all. Ever catch a Thundersnow? Wild, lemme tell ya.

I've been to Paonia, good place. Never did the 100K, but I've criss-crossed CO several times on multiple road trips. I've also skied Breckenridge, Copper Mtn., Ski Cooper, and Winter Park/MJ (the rental car did a full 720 on the way back one late afternoon, on the upper south side of Berthoud Pass - real pucker factor, but was incredibly lucky!).
Too early to say when an actual move would be - we've only had two "first phone contacts" (one w/ HR and one w/ a real engineer, which I thought went pretty well), and our first face-to-face will be this Thursday morning.
If I accept an offer, then I have to decide "HOW" to move - rent a 32-foot U-Haul with car carrier, or since I don't have another person to help me load & unload, maybe just pay the big bucks for a commercial mover.
And of course there's the big issue of Where - should I get a temporary furnished corporate apt while I store everything and look around, or bust butt and grab a 2BR house immediately... lots of variables to get through with this!

BTW - We have micro-climates all over the L.A. area too! The weather reports that you probably see are either at LAX (Los Angeles Int'l Airport) or USC (University of Southern CA, just south of downtown LA). Where I am now is damp & cooler due to the ocean; but 10 miles inland it's hotter & drier, and they even get an occasional tornado! More inland from there gets you more desert effect.

I haven't moved in like freakin' forever, but if something dynomite showed up, I'd take it. But what I'd do is set up temporarily and get to know the area and talk to co-workers. Then make an informed decision. But if you've already got "stuff" with you, you might have to pop for a house. Maybe rent a house somewhere and look to go permanent after you got the lay of the land.

Good words. Yeah, I've been here for 26 years now, and "stuff" accumulates... we tend to expand into the available space. A short-term temporary would be easier on the brain, but then I effectively have to move twice... geeze...:dunno

..... Get ready for extreme localization of weather, with very rapid changes- you have a major thunderstorm, 10 miles away is bright sunshine and no water at all. Ever catch a Thundersnow? Wild, lemme tell ya.

Yes, and a thunderhail, thundersnowhail, and thundersleetsnowhail.:uhoh:bluduh

Welcome to CO, Paul, and I can attest to what Steve Farson said; the riding west of the Denver/Boulder area is incredible.

Statdawg, THANKS! I've just added their home page to my "home search" folder in the favorites/bookmarks.

Everybody else -

Again, THANKS! Got back last night from the all-day interviews, and overall things seemed to go pretty well; all the different engineers & senior techs I was passed around to seemed pleased (or at least satisfied) with what I said and how I presented myself. (Didn't need the galoshes or ski parka, the long johns hid nicely under the monkey suit; gawd how I hate those! My sinuses did react to 5000 feet elevation.) Many of the guys there ride, a definite plus for everybody. Now that they have my formal signatures, they can do the "real" background & past experience checks, and find out if I am worthy or scum. I should hear back in about 2 weeks...

Paul

Back