• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Billy Joel's 20th Century Cycles

rocketmanli

Chromehead
So, Monday (yesterday) I picked up my bike from Chris Capobianco (631) 219-6773, an independent BMW Master Mechanic in Ronkonkoma, NY, and my friend, here on Long Island, At 43,700 miles, he installed a new clutch and a new diaphragm spring as well as performing a spline lube on my '02 BMW R1200C. I was having intermittent problems, specifically downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear. Well, true to his word, the job was done to perfection, no more problems, and everything was put back together such that it looks like nobody ever touched my bike. Great job, fair price, and now looking forward to my next 47,000 miles! I highly recommend Chris for any maintenance or mechanical work you might need.

My 10 year old daughter Samantha just finished her first full year riding with me, so it was only fitting that we went for a "break in" ride after the repair. It was a brisk 21 degrees Monday, but Gerbings heated liners and gloves made it a perfect day for a ride.

We had heard that Billy Joel opened up 20th Century Cycles in Oyster Bay, in November. The place serves as somewhat of a museum for Billy's (now) 60 bikes which include a Vincent, lots of old Guzzi's, Ducatis, Royal Enfields, BSA's, Triumphs, and a slew of other gorgeous vintage bikes, as well as maybe a dozen old BMW's. All the bikes are registered, insured and ridden. Probably, half the bikes are restored to perfection, and the rest are original but in fantastic shape.

The facility was basically conceived to have a place for bikers to gather, chat about bikes, sit on the couches, and relax. There are a couple of lifts and work benches right out on the display floor, where all the mechanical & restoration work takes place. They're only open Saturdays & Sundays, and are basically closed in January & February, but we figured we'd do some "window shopping" and it also made for a great excuse to get out and ride.

When we arrived, the place had a "closed" sign on the door, but we saw some lights on inside. After a few minutes of peeking through the window, we were greeted by Alex. He is Billy's main mechanic and an expert vintage restoration guy. He said they were indeed closed, but since we came all the way there on our bike, he welcomed us in to stay a while and warm up.

Alex apparently worked for Blue Moon Cycles in Atlanta as a BMW mechanic for about 10 years, and did all of their vintage restoration work. He recently relocated to Long Island, and was hired by Billy when the bikes were stored in Sag Harbor. Now he runs the show in Oyster Bay. He told us stories of how he used to professionally race 125's, and you could tell from talking to him, that he loves his job. What a nice, mellow guy, with a wealth of knowledge, and very generous with his time, especially allowing Samantha and I a private tour, on a day when they were supposed to be closed.

I'm looking forward to going back there when the temperatures are a little higher, to relax, schmooz, and look around a little more in detail at these works of art.

20th Century Cycles Link:
http://www.billyjoel.com/news/20th-c...ors-oyster-bay

20th Century Cycles Grand Opening Photos Link:
http://www.billyjoel.com/photos/20th-century-cycles

alex puls is a good ol' friend of mine, the guy who let you in.

what a lucky dog.... and a hell of a sidecar monkey, too!

he was a sales guy at blue moon, but had his nose into everything.

sounds like an excellent place and I'm definitely stopping by if i am ever in the neighborhood.

ian

Back