• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

3/4 length jacket or waist cut jacket.

M

Merlin III

I am buying a new custom made MC jacket and I need to decide on whether to get a 3/4 cut or a waist cut. I guess there are advantages to both.

The way I See it a 3/4 cut gives you a little more protection from the elements and you don't have to zipper it to your pants for slide protection. The waist cut is better in summer and looks better, but you need to zipper it to your pants for full protection if you go down. Others have told me that the 3/4 is more uncomfortable when riding as it tends to ride up and bunch up.

Any thoughts?

Can you give us some more information about what type of weather you expect to wear this new jacket? I like waist length for summer and 3/4 length for cooler temps and bad weather, all for the reasons you already mentioned. Best bet is to either go to shop that has a lot of similar products and try on various cuts while you actually sit on your bike, or order online from a place that has a no-hassle return/exchange policy.

What specific jacket are you referring to? You will probably get better suggestions from other members who have already bought the same jacket.

as i get older

and perhaps a bit rounder, i find the 3/4 length jackets to be much more comfortable. In my experience, they don't ride up and allow that annoying draft up my back. :hungover

YMMV

+1 for 3/4(regardless of weather.)

Sit on the tail and they don't ride up, but I wouldn't count on it not riding up if you don't have it zipped to pants in a crash though either.

Certainly had my share of waist-length garments over the years, but last several years, its either been the Tourmaster Transition 3/4 jacket, or the Olympia X-Moto 3/4 jacket - both are so comfortable and functionable, that I'll be a "3/4 guy" for the rest of my riding days.

Hope you find what you're looking for! :thumb

Well, I mostly use 3/4. And I still zip them to my pants. If I slide feet first the jacket will still ride up my body and leave parts of me exposed. Also, it keeps it from bunching up when I'm sitting on the bike. Otherwise it kind of rides up like you mentioned.

Thanks for the responses so far. I live in 3 season Maine. I am looking at a custom made Motoport kevlar jacket. It cost 500 dollars, so having one of each is out of the question as is having it made and returning it.

Zipping the jacket to the pants is good for safety and weather protection and even substitutes for a belt or suspenders. I don't see any practical advantage to the 3/4 style other than room for additional pockets to carry stuff you don't want to carry in your tank bag.

I wear a waist cut / mesh when it's hot and 3/4 length when its cool / cold. Last years cross country I wore a waist cut and carried extra rain gear. JMHO Good luck in what you decide. :thumb

I have a waste cut jacket and a 3/4 jacket. In fact, the waste cut is the Motoport Kevlar mesh jacket you're considering ordering. It's a comfortable jacket, but I wouldn't say it's more or less comfortable than a 3/4 jacket--just different. I wear the mesh jacket during the hot days and the 3/4 jacket during the cold days.

When I first started riding, I looked for all around jacket/pants to keep costs down. What I've determined is that they really don't exist. Whether you get a 3/4 or waste cut should depend on your riding conditions. Do you ride more during cold weather or during hot weather? If you find yourself riding in mostly hot weather, then I would get a waste cut mesh jacket, and a simple rain jacket to go over the mesh jacket for colder/wet days. The Motoport kevlar mesh jacket is a tight fit, with little room for layers. At least that's the way mine was built. If you ride mostly during colder weather, then you might want to think of a 3/4 jacket with plenty of vents. That might be a better compromise.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Not all of it will apply to you, but I hope you get some good information out of my experience.

Jacket

I really like the cut of the Cortech waist-cut jackets as they are cut shorter in the front than the 3/4 jackets but cut quite long in the back. My GX Sport jacket measures 29 inches from the bottom of the collar to the tail of the jacket. My Advanced Sport is cut in similar fashion. This is more than 4 inches lower than my Vanson waist-cut jacket.

Zipping the jacket to the pants is good for safety and weather protection and even substitutes for a belt or suspenders. I don't see any practical advantage to the 3/4 style other than room for additional pockets to carry stuff you don't want to carry in your tank bag.

I'll confess to a waist-length yellow mesh jacket that is reserved for extremely hot touring.

But as for advantages of the 3/4 length, I find it nice not to have to attach a jacket to pants in order to keep a draft (and water) out of my waistline.

Also, as you pointed out, tons of storage options.

To each their own - for me, 3/4 hard to beat for style, comfort and weather protection. :thumb

I wear a Motoport mesh 3/4 jacket that has worked extremely well in weather from 28F (with Gerbings and liner) to 106F (without liner or Gerbings). Not aware of it bunching up. Next time I'd order a left sided wallet pocket, as well as the standard right hand one. Good product that I've tested by low siding on gravel. It and I held up quite nicely.

Waist cut vs. 3/4 length Jackets

I have BMW jackets and pants and have been very satisfied with the quality and performance. I purchased the BMW gear, after experimenting with other less expensive gear (Joe Rocket leather jacket, leather pants, Olympia Airglide mesh, First Gear mesh). I discovered that like all things, you get what you pay for. I waited for the BMW gear to go on sale, since it can be expensive at list price.

I use the Tourance 2 (3/4 length jacket) and pants for cold weather. As others have stated, the 3/4 length jacket covers you more and keeps the drafts and water out. The Tourance 2 gear is waterproof, so no extra rain suit is necessary. The pants have detachable suspenders. I have ridden with this gear in temperatures ranging from 28 degrees F to 65 degrees F and have been comfortable.

I never attach pants to jackets with zippers because it is a pain when you have to go to the bathroom. I am an old guy and when you are an old guy, when you have to go, you have to go, and do want anything hindering your progress toward that objective. Young guys with more agility and less urgency may feel differently.

In the summer, which is hot and humid in North Carolina, I wear the waist length BMW Airshell Hi-Viz mesh jacket and BMW Venting Machine mesh pants. I have used this hot weather gear in temperatures ranging from 65 degrees F to 103 degrees F. Below 65 degrees, the airflow becomes a bit chilly for me. Above 100 degrees, it is comfortable while moving, but any gear at that temperature is uncomfortable while stopped/standing at a traffic signal.

I want as much airflow in the summer as possible, so a 3/4 length jacket is not good for that because it covers too much of your body (jacket overlaps with pants to form a double layer from the waist to mid thigh).

If you live in the North, you may find that one jacket/pants combination works for you the whole year round. In warmer climates, especially combined with the humidity we have in the South, we tend to have separate gear, appropriate for the season.

Bill

Why not just buy the one that feels good to ya? That fits YOUR needs?

Long for touring, short for town / local. If you have to pick one REALLY good as it appears, go with the long. Lots of nice short jackets with good clearance pricing that work good. I'm sure you know all the closeout sites.

I have a long torso, so a lot of short length jackets ride up above the belt line. For that reason, I usually find 3/4 length more comfortable.

Back