• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200ST Bar Risers

nmsharpy

NMSharpy 05 R1200ST
Hey I'm 58 5' 8" and ride a R1200ST I want to raise the bars with the Mv Verholen Bar Riser kit now I know Wunderlich makes a complete Triple clamp, bar and grips replacement for a $1000 but was wondering about this Verholen option, ride height handling etc, etc has any one had experience with this geometry /handling product??

Yes, I have the Verholen risers on my 07 R12ST. I'm 5'10", and this riser kit brings the bars up and back about 1.5". It leaves me still slightly bent over, but I find this position very comfortable. The kit is complete and seems well made; it fit my bike easily.

You should know, however, that the '07 brakes are different than the earlier models, and apparently the shape of the end of the brake master cylinder is different too. With the risers installed, the end of the MC is in contact with the dash housing. I ground a slight amount of the casting away to get clearance.

Thanks Darryl Should have been clearer it is an 05 and I have had it since 07 put 27800 on it since the fall of 07 i have osteoarthritis in the shoulders too much hockey and football earlier and so what I am looking for is a little elbow bend

Wife rides a 05ST with the Verholen risers (she is 5'4" and 125lbs). She still thinks it would be better to have them a little higher so we got the Wunderlich set up with the new top tree, bars etc. Haven't put it on yet but it looks like it will be quite a job. Checking out the handlebar width looks to be about the same as the stock bars and not much higher so I will try to get some risers before I go with the install. As far as the MV riser kit I would say don't bother with it as all it is are two pins to hold the bars to keep them from spinning and a longer brake line. All you have to do is move the bars above the top tree and install the longer brake line (note the brakes will have to be rebled afterwords). Semper Fi had posted the pictures of a Wunderlich conversion on his wifes ST but I can't find them on the website anymore (if he sees this perhaps he will be nice enough to repost.
Hope this may be some insight for you, hope it helps.
Larry

That's a correct description of the Verholen risers: the pins relocate the clip on bars from under the triple clamp to above it. This moves the bars up and back about 1.5". It doesn't sound like much, but it made a great deal of difference for me.

Another ST guy here with the Verholen risers. I'm about 5'-6" and it was just enough to make the bike a long distance tourer.

Brian

Verholens

Have any of you noticed any compromise in the ability to "fling" the bike or any other control /steering issues that the change in location of the bars causes? Thanks

No, I don't notice a difference. I would say that with the risers, the lean is slightly more than on an R1100RS (for me, at 5'10"), but that it still feels lighter and handles quicker. Yet the rise is just enough for me to be able to enjoy the bike as a long distance machine, too. I bought mine in April 2007, and it just turned 60,000 miles last week, so it doesn't sit around that much. :)

My wife had the Verholens on her ST, did not like them - a little too much weight on the wrist and hands.

I then put this on her bike and things became much more confortable for her.

DSC01961.jpg

It is from AC Schnitzer

Back