• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT needs new shoes....any advice.?

L

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

After 20+ years of riding today I had my first flat on my '02 RT. I ran over something that made a pretty good sized hole in the rear tire so I need to replace it. I am going to be using the bike for commuting, long day/weekend trips. I am looking for recommendations on what tires everyone would suggest? I'ld like a fairly soft compound with good rain handling. I'ld like to get a least 7-8k out of a rear tire if possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am currently running a 170/60/17 rear tire. The closest size appears to be 180/55/17. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Lee - It looks to me like the Pilot Road 2 is available in the 170/60/17 size (according to Michelin's online fitment guide). I'm on my fourth set of PR2's and replace them at about 10K miles, and as far as I'm concerned they're unequalled for RT's. However, I've heard whispers that the PR3 will be here very soon - maybe they will be even better.

Lee - It looks to me like the Pilot Road 2 is available in the 170/60/17 size (according to Michelin's online fitment guide). I'm on my fourth set of PR2's and replace them at about 10K miles, and as far as I'm concerned they're unequalled for RT's. However, I've heard whispers that the PR3 will be here very soon - maybe they will be even better.

Thanks for the info!!! Michelin has the same size tire I am running but it also says the 180 will fit as well. I'll call cyclegear tomorrow to see if they have either of them in stock. I've been told that if you take your wheel in that they will mount/balance it for free.

I bought the Pilot Roads 2. The guy at cyclegear mounted/balanced it while I waited. I am planning on carrying the front to him in the morning. Thanks!!!!

FYI: Tire Calculations

While the 180/55-17 should fit, it will have a slightly smaller circumference compared to the 170/60-17. This will cause about a 1% speedometer error:

from the online tire size calculator

This will result in a slightly higher speedometer reading than BMW's already +2-3 mph overstated speed.

from the tire calculator

Is there any downside going from a 170 to a 180?

I'm not sure of the OEM size tire for your bike, but I always default to the manufacturer's recommendation. Back in the day I would want to go wider, because bigger must be better, right?

Experience showed that wasn't necessarily the case, as the factory optimizes the handling of the bike for the recommended size tires. In Germany, it is illegal under the TUV regulations to run an incorrect size.

The change contemplated above is a minor one and should have a minor effect on handling. Going to wider tires generally slows down the turn in when cornering. That said, the amount of difference in only going from a 170 to a 180 could be less than just changing to a tire with a different tread profile within the same size range. There shouldn't be a big difference.

Is there any downside going from a 170 to a 180?

170/60*17 will fit these rims: 4.00/4.50/5.00/5.50
180/55*17 will fit these rims: 5.25/5.50/5.75

I think the RT has a 5.50 rim size, so you are OK as far as rim fitment. I'm not sure how much clearance you have between tire and swing-arm on the RT. Maybe it will fit, maybe not. :dunno Handling will change as others have mentioned.

Back