• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Planning on renting a bike in Italy

D

david46

I am looking for any information about motorcycle rental, places to see, food, dangers of riding on foreign soil, etc, etc. We will be staying south of Florence in the Tuscany region. I am hoping to get three full days to tour on a motorcycle. Maybe wishful thinking but I would love to do a couple Alpine passes in the Alps? I ride a 1200 G.S, but for three days of riding almost any bike will work. Information appreciated.

Thank you.
Dave.

Italy Rentals & Riding

Dave,

I love to ride in Italy and have connections with a rental/tour company in Italy, Central Itlay Motorcycle Tours http://cimt.it Check out what options might be available to you at the time you are going.

3-day rentals with CIMT are the minimum so it could work out for you. Take my advice and stay in the central part of Italy. There are many good roads and lots to see in Tuscany and surrounding areas. If you try to go to the Alps, you will be riding through some flat country to get there and would be wasting your precious riding time just to get to the Alps leaving you little time there.

Check out Francesco Venzi's site and see if there is information you can glean from it. I have much more advice about roads and riding in Italy and Europe, if you want some more, just ask.

Karen :blah

I would agree, forget the Alps, a day is not enough. The grand views of the Alps are breathtaking, but if you are a corner junkie, you will find the Tuscan region of Italy more intense than the Alps. Ride the right roads and the corners are relentless.

What you really need to do is take 3 weeks, not 3 days.

When you're in Italy time stands STILL... It's everything else that flies; motorcycles, cars & your departure date.

:wow

When you're in Italy time stands STILL... It's everything else that flies; motorcycles, cars & your departure date.

:wow
(Hi Karen! :wave)

When it's time for lunch, then time stands still. After lunch, it rushes to catch up.

I am an honorary member of IRI, the Internet Riders of Italy. Their motto is "piano ma pieni" -- slow, but full. The slow part is a lie, but not the full part. I've never spent a lunch with them that didn't last 3 hours.

How about gear? Do you ship it ahead of your arrival?

I'm fortunate to be able to keep my own bike at a friend's place in Germany. I have a helmet, gloves and an electric jacket stowed with the bike.

But even without that stuff, it's very difficult to stay under the 50 lb. checked bag limit. I have a big roller duffel bag that can accommodate two saddle bag liners, my boots and riding suit. If I put very much more than that in the bag, it will be over weight. If I had to bring a helmet, I think at that point I'd bite the bullet and pay for a second bag.

Another possibility is to buy a helmet over there and ship it home.

Thanks for the feedback riders. I will drop the idea of heading for the Alps. So I now have a few more questions. I have had the pleasure of riding in Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia on perfect (technical) roads. This is what I am looking for, (pfog) any recommendations? Will this work, I am planning to pack all my M.C. gear in a hockey bag? Thanks again, and for sure there will be more questions.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback riders. I will drop the idea of heading for the Alps. So I now have a few more questions. I have had the pleasure of riding in Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia on perfect (technical) roads. This is what I am looking for, (pfog) any recommendations? Will this work, I am planning to pack all my M.C. gear in a hockey bag? Thanks again, and for sure there will be more questions.

Dave

Not sure what roads in PA you rode, but if you were on the back roads of PA, many of the roads there are similar in landscape, but are 10 times as long and have about 2 to 3 times the turns per mile/kM.

I am a corner junkie, and after a week and a half in that region was actually getting worn out, wife couldn't believe it. But some fine wine and a good meal cured that.

Best bets for roads is to pick up a Michelin regional map #359, amazon sometimes has them, and there are book stores that sell them too, just do an internet search. Look for the roads Michelin graciously highlighted in green, you cant go wrong. The roads can be a little rough in places, but for the most part a lot like the roads of the NE.

Check out my ride report from this October here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631082

I still have to finish it, but it will give you an idea of the roads and landscape. There is a video link or two in there as well.

Dave

When I can I will pack as much stuff inside my helmet as I can and carry it aboard. If it won't fit in the overhead you will have to pack it in a bag. In that case, pack other gear around it for protection and first enclose it in a helmet bag. Gloves and other small soft stuff goes inside.

One hint: if you wear your jacket (or carry it as if you are wearing it) You can have them hang it up in flight and you can pack a few small items in the pockets. This way you don't pay for it as excess baggage and it makes more room in your duffle. Again, pack as much as you can in your boots. Roll up socks, underwear, etc.

The advice on Michelin maps is good, a 1:100,000 or 1:200,000 scale vs a 1:400,000. With the more details maps, I have found you can even get yourself through a small city. They're very good. Another option are Italy Touring Club (Touring Club Italiano) maps, you can buy them in Italy, but it will be more fun to look and plan ahead at home with maps from the internet or a good map store.

If you rent your motorcycle through Central Italy Motorcycle Tours (www.cimt.it), Francesco will help you with road suggestions.

Karen

Thanks for the feedback Karen and pffog. I went over to Advrider to view your post. It was just super! I only have three days to ride so the Michelin maps will be a good starting point. Good packing ideas, this will help me. Thanks again guys, and if you think of anything else, please pass it on.

Dave.

Thanks for the feedback Karen and pffog. I went over to Advrider to view your post. It was just super! I only have three days to ride so the Michelin maps will be a good starting point. Good packing ideas, this will help me. Thanks again guys, and if you think of anything else, please pass it on.

Dave.[/QUOTE
Your'e on the right track, but don't forget to check each airlines baggage rules -if your'e using more than one the rules will likely change. The "wear what you can" and "put as much in carry on, then check the rest" approach is what works best. Make sure you don't encounter the Delta lady (they wear red blazers) that is kind of like the "soup Nazi" from Seinfeld shows! She/they will tag anything that doesn't look like it fits into the above situation. As e.g., she wanted to tag our neck pillows AND our luggage wheel racks (which could have been left on the carry-ons and much more that really wasn't anything remarkable, such as is common to see people trying to sneak aboard and stow. You could stretch the envelope and wear all your gear then take it off onboard.
Has anyone tried boarding while wearing their helmet?:D

I am hoping to get three full days to tour on a motorcycle. Maybe wishful thinking but I would love to do a couple Alpine passes in the Alps?

Thank you.
Dave.

You can do it Dave.

I drove all the way down from Rovereto to Livorno taking nothing but back roads and made it in under 9 hours.

You can take the A11 to Lucca, then the SS12 to Modena (its twisty till Maranello) and then the A22 to Rovereto or further. Sure the Autostradas will be boring, but the SS12 will make up for it. Besides, Modena to Verona is all flat, so you might as well take the Autostrada.

From Rovereto, you can ride the Kaiserjaegerweg (ultra narrow), Passo Manghen (very narrow), Passo Lavaze, Passo Brocon and the southern Dolomites passes before returning back to Rovereto.

I can tell you where to stay in the Rovereto area.

The Kaiserjaegerweg...
402773688_JMbbj-L.jpg

The Kaiserjaegerweg...
402773675_3Rxdp-L.jpg

How about gear? Do you ship it ahead of your arrival?

I bring my helmet and Aerostich suit, kidney belt and gloves on as carry on. I can't afford to have them lose my riding gear.

The helmet is in a padded helmet bag and the rest of the gear in a soft backsack.

In my 16 straight years of riding there, I've only been hassled a few times at airports. I just indicate its a helmet...end of story and I keep walking. I'll wear it on-board as a hat if they push it.

In my 16 straight years of riding there, I've only been hassled a few times at airports. I just indicate its a helmet...end of story and I keep walking. I'll wear it on-board as a hat if they push it.

I have worn my 'stich, boots & helmet onto the plane before to get around the one carry-on rule. got some bizarre looks.... :ha

ian

I have worn my 'stich, boots & helmet onto the plane before to get around the one carry-on rule. got some bizarre looks.... :ha

ian

So will I if I ever have to. Besides, an Aerostich might make a good North Atlantic survival suit if we ever go down.

As for airlines, they must be getting pretty desperate. I was charged $25 for one checked luggage by Continental and US Air while flying stateside. :rolleyes Pi$$ed, I asked if they want to charge me for my shorts and socks too. :D

They're worried about a 50 pound bag...why don't they worry about overweight passengers. Hey, if they start charging passengers by their weight, it would put those kazillion weight reduction companies out of business.

You can do it Dave...............

I drove all the way down from Rovereto to Livorno taking nothing but back roads and made it in under 9 hours..................

It is possible, and you suggested some great roads, some of my favorites. But you have to admit, he can't do the area justice. And many riders don't like these roads, as they are very technical. My guess is less than 10% of even "corner lovers" like this stuff, many prefer open sweepers, they don't know what they are missing IMHO.

The Tuscan area has some very nice stuff too, not the views, and breathtaking scenery, but ample corners, for even the hard core corner nut.

It is possible, and you suggested some great roads, some of my favorites. But you have to admit, he can't do the area justice.

Certainly not in three days, but it'll at least have given him a taste and a desire to come back.

And many riders don't like these roads, as they are very technical.

Hell, the very odd time, I pray for them to end like last summer when I had to get somewhere, but I refuse to take anything but the twistiest of roads...might as well stay home if I don't.

My run from Gasthof Winkler in Tr?Âpolach to Foxi di Vallarsa was a mere 438 km (272 miles), yet it took exactly 9 hours to get there.

Route if you want to follow along...
Gasthof Winkler to Sutrio

Sutrio to Ovaro over Monte Zoncolan

Ovaro to Ampezzo

Ampezzo to Navarons - Killer route.

Navarons to Longarone - Killer route to Barcis.

Longarone to Levico Terme via Belluno, Feltre, etc.

Levico Terme to Foxi di Vallarsa over the Kaiserjaegerweg

My guess is less than 10% of even "corner lovers" like this stuff, many prefer open sweepers, they don't know what they are missing IMHO.

My long time friend and his wife who joined me last June on a rental motorcycle for two weeks now knows the difference.

I'm fortunate to be able to keep my own bike at a friend's place in Germany. I have a helmet, gloves and an electric jacket stowed with the bike.

But even without that stuff, it's very difficult to stay under the 50 lb. checked bag limit. I have a big roller duffel bag that can accommodate two saddle bag liners, my boots and riding suit. If I put very much more than that in the bag, it will be over weight. If I had to bring a helmet, I think at that point I'd bite the bullet and pay for a second bag.

Another possibility is to buy a helmet over there and ship it home.

When I went over, I carried my helmet on with me along with my riding jacket. I was able to stuff several items in my helmet/bag. This helped keep my weight under 50lbs. and the need for a second checked bag. My helmet bag did fit under the seat in front of me.

Not knowing, carrying on these essentials was a blessing because my checked bag landed four hours after I did. Since I had my helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. I was able to go to the shop, check my bike and then ride back to the airport and gather the remainder of my gear later.

Back