• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to the world of the Flying Brick...

philcycles

but an airhead from way back. I jumped in with both feet and bought a 1999 K1200RS. What a great bike.
Any good tips esp. about tires? Non standard tele bikes seem to be very sensitive to tires.
Just for spice I also own a 1994 Yamaha GTS1000 and it's REALLY sensitive.
Phil Brown

It comes down to your style of riding. After 19+ sets on my '00 RS, I really like the Bridgestone 010/020 F/R combo. Hated the 020 front. I think these may have been updated in the last year with a different designation. In that time I have been very pleased with Mich Pilot Roads. I currently have MEz6 on at the moment and since I really enjoy the Mich PR2ct on my K13S so much, will likely go to that on the RS as well. I found that the bike really is sensitive to front tires that have a center groove, and the BT020, D220, and others of similar design are just not fun for me on the K1200RS. On my bike those styles really tracked rain grooves, cupped early and really made a lot of road noise. And since my travels generally wear the tire pretty well from side to side, the softer fronts are fine for the rear I would use them with.

Have run Michelin Pilot Roads, Bridgestone 020, Metzeler Z6 and Pirelli Diablo. The Pilot Road and Pilot Road 2 were pick of the litter, followed by the Pirellis, then the Metzeler. I wouldn't mount another set of Bridgestones, too snarky in the wet and on tar snakes. Pirelli Diablo Strada gave the best overall mix of mileage and handling for the money.

YMMV, of course.

Best,

GTRider

fwiw, the Diablo Strada has been superseded by the Angel ST. its a dual compund version, similar to the Road Smart, PR2, etc.

and, "whats the best tire for my XYZ?" is THE most common thread on most boards. do a search, read last month's recommendations. nothing has changed.

fwiw, the Diablo Strada has been superseded by the Angel ST. its a dual compund version, similar to the Road Smart, PR2, etc.

and, "whats the best tire for my XYZ?" is THE most common thread on most boards. do a search, read last month's recommendations. nothing has changed.

Kinda like battery and oil threads.

Back