• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Current BMW Navigator IV

I just looked on the Garmin website and the latest software update listed is December 4, 2009, version 3.5. I predict renewed interest in the product because of the integration with the K1600s and given the products small demand to date, wonder if they will suddenly be on backorder if people go ahead and buy one now? I would hope if there is a firmware/software update required to make them compatible, that the current units could be updated using the Garmin web updater? I did see mentioned in one of the accessory documents posted on the web a mention that a new part number would be available to allow for purchasing the Navigator IV without the cradle. I currently use a Zumo 665 and really like the weather service feature but I assume that the BMWs will not support that service?

A better/bigger question... since the software and connector for the BMW nav IV is the same as the zumo 660/665, will these fit in the k1600? I bought my 660 when all that was out was the BMW Nav III, and I dont want to pay another 1000 dollar premium especially if the format, connections, firmware, and software are all identical

The 660 will probably support some of the functions

But it will lack the integration with the bike's computer system. I currently own a 665 and love it.

A better/bigger question... since the software and connector for the BMW nav IV is the same as the zumo 660/665
That is not correct -- the NavIV's firmware is quite different from the 660/665 (I've owned both a 660 and a Nav IV). And while the Nav IV and 660 have the same physical connection and will sit in the other's dock, their docks and their firmwares enable different functions and provide different responses -- they are just not interchangable.

, will these fit in the k1600? I bought my 660 when all that was out was the BMW Nav III, and I dont want to pay another 1000 dollar premium especially if the format, connections, firmware, and software are all identical
BMW has already indicated that the 660/665 will fit into the K16's dock. The units will function in the K16, but they will not have any of the integration with the bike's computers that the Nav IV will provide.

I hate the idea of having to pony up for a Nav IV while I have a perfectly usable 660, but that's what I will probably do. A small consolation for me: I will be able to leave my 660 in the dock on my R100RT, so no more need to remember to swap a GPS between bikes. But for $800+, I'd rather have to deal with the bike-to bike swaps!

BMW has already indicated that the 660/665 will fit into the K16's dock. The units will function in the K16, but they will not have any of the integration with the bike's computers that the Nav IV will provide.

Thanks for the info didn't know BMW had said that.... however if this IS true then BMW and Garmin should be able to make a specific firmware Update for the K bike interface... The arson they won't will probably be profit motivated and I like you will probably cave and buy a new one, and someone will get my old one for a significant discount!

Thanks for the info didn't know BMW had said that.... however if this IS true then BMW and Garmin should be able to make a specific firmware Update for the K bike interface... The arson they won't will probably be profit motivated and I like you will probably cave and buy a new one, and someone will get my old one for a significant discount!
You're right -- it will never happen. BMW's not a bunch of dummies; you can bet their contracts with Garmin have very strict language controlling the availability of the firmware for the Navigators to *only* BMW Navigator applications -- I'd bet a sizeable portion of my 401K that their contracts prohibit Garmin from offerring such a flash upgrade for the 660/665's even if Garmin wanted to.

Same sort of thing happened when BMW contracted with J&M for an intercom for the K12LT -- John Lazzeroni (the J of J&M) could sell the helmet headsets to all comers (it was a standard item J&M sold for all their audio products), but he couldn't sell the lower portion of the headset-to-bike cable, which was slightly different in pin count -- there was some difference which made it proprietary to BMW, IIRC. Even though J&M was the source of that cable part, they had to refer buyers to their BMW dealer to buy one because their contract would not allow them to sell it directly.

Last edited:
I've got the 665 on my GS, and my wife has the Nav IV integrated into her 2010 RT. I can tell you both units talk to the same Garmin software on my home cpu, and they both accepted the same updates Garmin 665 provided via web to prevent the unit shut-down gremlin in the 660/665 series (which also impacted the Nav IV). That's the best I can do... :)

Back