Thread: Garmin 276 cx

Garmin 276 cx

Is there anyone else out there that has more bad habits besides motorcycles? Unfortunately I can't resist and share my time with multiple cash draining interests. Hence my interest in an all purpose GPS. The newly released or updated Garmin 276cx seems to be the best fit for off road trails, street and water navigation. It's slightly large for a handheld but could be used in a pinch. It seems to be the answer to my many applications once I install a universal mount, likely a Ramball set up. So my question is has Garmin finally made a "fits all uses" GPS? Is something better? It appears to be pure GPS without numerous added features that are already existing in other devices such as phones.

I would appreciate any feedback good or bad before I pry the money from my clenched fist.

Thank you, Leon
    2013 BMW R1200RT
    Leon
    Kelowna BC Canada
    2013 BMW R1200RT

I, too, like the non-Moto-specific units, I've been using an Montana for about 6 years now. This new 276 is very appealing, but like the Montana, it lacks Bluetooth. And now that I've tried that type of wireless communication, my next GPS has gotta have it.

If you haven't read the review in the BMW ON, Dan Townsley wrote up a very positive review of this unit, November issue, iirc.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e || '07 Xchallenge || '14 Grom

I used an original version of the 276 - it was better priced than the moto-specific versions back when I was using it. I would have upgraded to a newer version had one existed at the time as the memory was lacking for map coverage. Great if you were in a quarter of the continent, but not so much if you wanted all of the east, west, upper US & Canada, etc. It was durable, I dropped it multiple times and it kept on working fine.

The 276cx looks like a great replacement to the original IMHO if it's even only half as durable as the original.
    Dave...
    ----------------
    15 R1200 RT
    83 XN85 D Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    If you haven't read the review in the BMW ON, Dan Townsley wrote up a very positive review of this unit, November issue, iirc.
    Dan also takes an active part in a very lengthy 276cx thread over on advrider.com, where he is known as DRTBYK.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

There is a very extensive thread on the new 276cz on the advrider forum.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    There is a very extensive thread on the new 276cz on the advrider forum.

276cx

Still using my 10 year old 276c and no complaints other than battery showing it's age and more memory would be nice. It's served well for car, bike, hiking and boating - just never had a need for it in an aircraft! The cx is tempting with all the upgraded features but still in a bit of sticker shock after scouting prices
    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA
    '14 R nine T

Quote Originally Posted by talmadge_w View Post
    Still using my 10 year old 276c and no complaints other than battery showing it's age and more memory would be nice. It's served well for car, bike, hiking and boating - just never had a need for it in an aircraft! The cx is tempting with all the upgraded features but still in a bit of sticker shock after scouting prices
    I bought a 276c back about then too. Sticker shock then too. Now I cost it out per year of reliable use and it seems pretty inexpensive to me in hindsight. Due to features it is now a secondary unit but is still mounted on my bike(s) and goes where I go.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/