• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Resolve to Make Your Motorcycling Dreams Come True in 2011

Voni

sMiling
Staff member
If you attended the Women Who Ride Seminar at the MOA Rally in Redmond last summer you were fortunate to meet some amazing women who had exciting adventures to share. AND you were challenged by one of them, Alisa Clickenger, to go after your dreams.

To speak and make it so.

She's recently had an article published in WRN (Women Riders Now) entitled "Resolve to Make Your Motorcycling Dreams Come True in 2011."

http://womenridersnow.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=3796

I know I changed my words from saying I'm hoping to make a million miles to I WILL make my goal of a million miles by December 2011. Amazing the power of words.

What challenge are you planning for 2011?

What will YOU do?

Voni
sMiling

Yes.

I didn't attend the seminar in Redmond but that's been my resolution anyway!!

I am:

Trailering to Florida, then Riding to Mardi Gras, in New Orleans.
Riding to the MOA Rally in Pennsylvania.
Flying to the UK, borrowing a motorcycle, riding to the Isle of Man and watching the races.
Doing as much solo moto camping as I can pack in. (get it? pack...? nevermind...)
Training for Moto Marshalling of bicycle races/triathlons.
Taking my KLR off pavement as much as I can.
I'm sure there will be more, but this, dammit, is My Year for Riding.

:dance

I think I'm suffering from some sort of mental block. Last year was my Alaska adventure. I don't have any plan for this year. I must need therapy.:dunno
I do plan on attending The MOA and RA rallies though. That should count for something.

I plan to make my first solo trip this season (other than up to the cottage, that is). I want to know I can go off on my bike and be self sufficient for a few days.

There's nothing like your first solo ride!

I'm remembering Paul riding with me to the edge of town where he turned off to go to work and I headed off into the great unknown. I was crying I was so scared. I rode over 600 miles that first day before I stopped for the night - not because I wanted to but because I knew how to go, how to gas, and how to go again, but I didn't know how to stop.

But, oh, the adventure was so worth it. I rode from Topeka, Kansas to the Rafter Six Ranch the other side of Calgary, Alberta for the first ever Lunatic Fringe Rally.

Oh, the amazing memories . . .

Go, CLowry, go!

Voni
sMiling

I didn't attend the seminar in Redmond but that's been my resolution anyway!!

I am:

Trailering to Florida, then Riding to Mardi Gras, in New Orleans.
Riding to the MOA Rally in Pennsylvania.
Flying to the UK, borrowing a motorcycle, riding to the Isle of Man and watching the races.
Doing as much solo moto camping as I can pack in. (get it? pack...? nevermind...)
Training for Moto Marshalling of bicycle races/triathlons.
Taking my KLR off pavement as much as I can.
I'm sure there will be more, but this, dammit, is My Year for Riding.

:dance

Now, THAT's a plan! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Voni
sMiling

I think I'm suffering from some sort of mental block. Last year was my Alaska adventure. I don't have any plan for this year. I must need therapy.:dunno
I do plan on attending The MOA and RA rallies though. That should count for something.

You DID your big ride. And that's huge. The rest you'll make up as you go along.

I know you ;)

Voni
sMiling

Thanks Voni. I feel better. Maybe something will pop into my head like Nova Scotia??
Clowry, of course you can do it. And we'll be waiting to hear your ride report.

I plan to make my first solo trip this season (other than up to the cottage, that is). I want to know I can go off on my bike and be self sufficient for a few days.

You'll love it and I know you can do it. I'm looking out the window at the snow right now. What to meet for coffee? We can whine about the winter non-riding season and talk about solo riding. I was really nervous about taking that step and now I'd never go back. Voni's mechanic saved me the first time a tried it with no clue how to look after the bike. Thanks, Paul.

Holly

I was at the seminar in Redmond and the energy was palpable! It was so inspring to see all of those powerful women! Does anyone have the name of the woman who had riden through Asia and Australia? She was at Redmond and was riding across the US to go home to the UK! She was missing her sweetie. Wow! Now that was a case of fortitude and I bet she's got stories too!!!!
I think I said that I'd put on more miles and indeed I did! Almost 14,000 since I got the bike in November 2009. Now it's up on the lift and Bike Boy is making it road worthy for another few thousand. I am one lucky woman!

YES! First solo ride. Wow. I got all sorts of advice and warnings, mainly form non-riders. And then I did it and found it wonderful and liberating. The warnings were good to keep in mind, but mainly in the back somewhere where they didnÔÇÖt interfere with the thrill of doing it. What people didnÔÇÖt warn me about, though, was that I would be seriously hooked from then on.

An Alaskan trip may encourage a year off. I rode to Alaska in ÔÇÖ08. In '09 I rode only about 1200 miles. (Last year was another down year, but for other reasons. :()

However, this year I will ride in each of the 48 contiguous states. If I still have energy, IÔÇÖll hit the Canadian Rockies, too. Oops. Make that: And when things get warm (late August) I will ride to Jasper.

Thanks for the article, Voni. :)

- Kate

1. I will master the U-turn box on my 1200 GS.

2. I will improve my off road skills significantly by not worrying about what I may scratch, dent, or break.

I rode from Topeka to the Rafter Six Ranch the other side of Calgary...Voni

You might have sat at our table...

731392723_ZfZxP-M.jpg

Women's Empowerment

I hope this is appropriate for this thread, and I think is IS.

Alisa Clickenger and I, Karen Thomson of AVID MotoTours http://avidmototours.com/womens_empowerment.aspx are putting on a women's learning tour; the Women's Empowerment Motorcycle Tour June 24-July 2, 2011. It is set up somewhat like a rolling classroom and our aim is to teach women who already ride how to tour on their own.

Alisa and I have gotten so much out of our motorcycling we want to give back to our chosen sport and bring more women into the fold. We want to empower them not just for motorcycling, but build their inner self to apply to their total lives.

We are signing up tour members now. If you're interested or know someone who might be please check out my website and contact Alisa or me.

Alisa also has her own website that includes all her adventures in Central and South America on her DR650 at MotoAdventureGal.com http://motoadventuregal.com .

Been traveling alone for a few years, love the freedom. Last summer had my first flat, not much drama....a tow, new tires, and on my way the next morning.

For me this is the year I start Rallying, starting with the Cal 24. Did an 8-hour mini-rally last spring and honestly, never I'd I ever had more fun on the moto. Really looking forward to this year.

I was at the seminar in Redmond and the energy was palpable! It was so inspring to see all of those powerful women! Does anyone have the name of the woman who had riden through Asia and Australia? She was at Redmond and was riding across the US to go home to the UK! She was missing her sweetie. Wow! Now that was a case of fortitude and I bet she's got stories too!!!!
I think I said that I'd put on more miles and indeed I did! Almost 14,000 since I got the bike in November 2009. Now it's up on the lift and Bike Boy is making it road worthy for another few thousand. I am one lucky woman!

You are!

I can't remember her name, but was very impressed with her enthusiasm.

Good for you Malaszka! Goals are for breaking!

Voni
sMiling

You'll love it and I know you can do it. I'm looking out the window at the snow right now. What to meet for coffee? We can whine about the winter non-riding season and talk about solo riding. I was really nervous about taking that step and now I'd never go back. Voni's mechanic saved me the first time a tried it with no clue how to look after the bike. Thanks, Paul.

Holly

Who could resist helping a gorgeous blond adventurous!

He says "Your'e welcome!"

Voni
sMiling

YES! First solo ride. Wow. I got all sorts of advice and warnings, mainly form non-riders. And then I did it and found it wonderful and liberating. The warnings were good to keep in mind, but mainly in the back somewhere where they didnÔÇÖt interfere with the thrill of doing it. What people didnÔÇÖt warn me about, though, was that I would be seriously hooked from then on.

An Alaskan trip may encourage a year off. I rode to Alaska in ÔÇÖ08. In '09 I rode only about 1200 miles. (Last year was another down year, but for other reasons. :()

However, this year I will ride in each of the 48 contiguous states. If I still have energy, IÔÇÖll hit the Canadian Rockies, too. Oops. Make that: And when things get warm (late August) I will ride to Jasper.

Thanks for the article, Voni. :)

- Kate

They just didn't comprehend that you could get hooked. What an uplifting hook it is!

Great Goals. Hope you'll share your pictures and adventures here. We'd love to hear them. Jasper in warmth! Makes me sMile ; )

Welcome, Kate!

Voni
sMiling

1. I will master the U-turn box on my 1200 GS.

2. I will improve my off road skills significantly by not worrying about what I may scratch, dent, or break.

Say it and you will make it so! Especially when you know we're counting on you, Newstar!

Voni
sMiling

Back