• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brake Fluid Change R1200R

badgertom

I was hoping to change the brake fluid on my bike (R1200R) when I read that bikes with ABS brakes should be taken to BMW Mechanic. I believe the concern is getting air into the line and causing the brakes to malfunction. Yet, I believe it is possible to change the brake fluid without gettting air into the line by carefully using a brake bleeder and slowly filling the reservoir while "pumping" out the old fluid through the bleeder. This way the line is always filled with fluid and the chance of getting air inside the line is eliminated. Since the service manual recommends a change every 2 years I believe it would be very costly to have a mechanic do this all the time. Would my method work on the BMW ABS brakes?

Please read the tech article on bleeding brakes.

There is a fine article on bleeding brakes here on this site. You can do it yourself but you need to make or purchase some very specific tools to do so. The article is quite specific and I'll post a link here as soon as I can.

Here you go Tom

send me your email address and I'll send you a PDF of how to do it. Too big to attach on this site.

Only if you have a 2007 or later RT. Prior to that year model the process was MUCH DIFFERENT.

No - if you have any 2007 and newer BMW it has the second generation non-whizzy brakes. A fluid flush article on the website was done on my 2007 R1200R and is documented in a DIY here: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=38825

BTW - the first year for the R1200R was 2007.. just a FWIW. The R12R never has had whizzy brakes (thank Dog!)..

The bottom line of this is that non-whizzy brakes bleed like anything else on the planet. If you have a solid general knowledge of brake systems there are no "gotchas" in doing them and it doesn't require any unique tools.

A basic reminder- start by sucking the particulate crap out of the bottom of the reservoir an don't let air into the master. Even a tiny bit of air in the master will produce a very poorfeel for the whole system.

I purchased and installed speed bleeders... no need for the might vac.

+25 on the DYI section! Step by step with pictures, a tools list and other things needed are all there.

I purchased and installed speed bleeders... no need for the might vac.

+25 on the DYI section! Step by step with pictures, a tools list and other things needed are all there.

+1 on the speed bleeders, and I've heard rumors BMW suggests their techs not use a vacuum bleeder on the new EVO-II brake systems, something about it damaging seals in the ABS unit.

...thanks for this thread, now I wished I'd found it before posting the question..doh!
Glad to know the '08 R12R ABS bleeds like everything else in the world...:D

Still don't know the purpose of removing the calipers though...

Back