• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Planning on a 2 to 3 month trip to the Southern U.S.

rideaway

Rideaway
I am planning a trip to the southern U.S. by myself in Mar. to May. My question is, it safe traveling alone in that area? I'm sure it will be quite different from what I am used too up here in southern Alberta. Any tips and recommended places to see while I am there would be helpful. I plan on camping and preparing my own food most of the time. I will be towing my bike and trailer south until the weather is a little warmer and then will need to find a safe place to park it for 2 to 3 months. Thanks for any suggestions.

What do you enjoy doing/seeing? First time here?

Yup, first time there. Enjoy nature, seeing new scenery, ocean, mountains, deserts, photography. I tend to not like big cities or really large crowds, but I may go to bike week in Florida but not sure how crazy that gets. I plan on going to as many BMW rallies as I can find. I am looking for warm weather as well so will stay as far south as that requires. Hoping it doesn't get to hot in May. I need to be back home by June 1st. Last June my wife and I did 9000km. and that was too rushed for my liking, so this time I will take at least 2 months and maybe 3. I'll probably be happy to get home after that long, but hoping it will be an interesting adventure.

Boy, you sure did pick a large canvas for your first painting! lol

Riding along the Mississippi River along the E. edge of Missouri is a beautiful ride with lots of old river towns of which many were setteled by the French & French Canadians.
Most of Southern Missouri and Arkansas have beautiful "twistie" type roads, lots of Ntl.
forrests, beautiful lakes, ect.

The Talamina Trail in Arkansas is a beautiful ride, as is Hwy. 7 running south out of Harrison Arkansas.

Pauls suggestion (above) is spot on about the Big Bend area of Texas! On my short list for this coming summer...Hopefully in May before it gets too hot!

Tennessee is full of beautiful rolling hills, lots of beautiful horse farms, ect.

The Southern states are full of history, Civil war sites. Smokey Mountians are beautiful!

There is just so much, it's hard to make suggestions...But I'd say yes in answer to your question of is it safe. Staying out of large cities, which doesn't seem to be a problem for you! lol Even most large cities would be fairly safe, it's easy to tell when you are getting into a repressed area of a city...these areas I would suggest you avoid obviously. You will find the people here very kind, accomodating and willing to help if needed. You will be greeted by strangers with a smile and a kind word in most instances. Long story short, I wouldn't advise you to worry much, just use common sense about your surroundings.

One thing you are possibly not used to is snakes, which you will want to be on the lookout for/aware of. You probably won't see many, but when walking in the southern states, you want to watch for them. Shuffling your feet as you walk to make noise is a good idea, and when stepping over a log, step on top of it, and try to land your other foot 3 or 4' on the other side.

Armadillos (mobile speed bumps) have migrated way north. Watch for them while riding. They are almost to mid Missouri now. You are probably already attuned to deer of which there is an abundance of also.

Have a great adventure!

March to May in the south can be below freezing in March to very warm in May. prepare for both. March to May in the south is when most of our thunderstorms are. bring rain gear. Enjoy the trip.

Arkansas has great state park camping and many Corps of Engineers lakes with super camping.

Ralph Sims

If you go to Bike Week, you need to camp at B-Cubed (Travel Park), with like minded BMW folks. You'll love the Georgia Mountain rally the first weekend in May (Hiawassee, GA).

+1 on the big bend in Texas... so cool... go to the texas state park side it is much better... there are some amazing areas to explore on dirt road... most of them are car friendly... so nothing to stress about...

The southern US is a very diverse place... More culture then modern media lets on...

You can't go wrong in any direction... all of it will be new and an adventure... let us know how it goes.

Pedro in OKC

I live in the NW corner of Georgia. Summerville to be exact. I have lots of land and no visible neighbors. Very safe.

You're welcome to park/camp here as long as you like. It's 60F degrees here today...

Jim

Back