Thread: TIRE WEAR...unique wear RT12

Rtinger

TIRE WEAR...unique wear RT12

Bike: 09, RT1200, low suspension

Recently, my bike started to wobble at 45mph. I had been feeling a light oscillation on the handlebars periodically, but did not pay much mind to it. Until, I let go of the handlebars at around 45 and the bike started wobbling ferociously such that I had to grab back the grips or loose it...Sheet! I was back on the same trip as the Goldwing--on which I spent a lot of money getting rid of that inherent wobbling Goldwing flaw.

The bummer is that I only had 7,489 miles on the Dumflops original tires. They had a lot of thread left in them, cause I am a city slicker rider and have not had any touring time on my RT--yet! The front tire did appear to have a little bump-piti-bump on the edges of the wear-band. The rear was getting a little flat.

I was expecting 12,000 miles given my current driving conditions though I have been whipping it around the curves like a typical RT rookie: Wow! look how fast I can take this curve!....I have gotten over that now and have returned to my civilized driving manners prompted by a ticket and the fact that I am over how great this bike handles on the twisties...acting my age is a difficult challenge for me!

Mech recommended frequent air-pressure checks. But, I kept my air between 40 and 38 in the rear and between 32-34 in the front--give or take...

I hope this wear malady is unique to Dumbflops...What says You about your tire wearage???

Front end is scalloped and rear end is squared off. BTDT

Tire milage is difficult to predict as it has factors of road coarseness, your weight, how you accel/decel, if you ride solo or 2 up, etc etc etc

When I had my RT 08 i get about 8K or so on my Continentals, and switch to PR2 which went to almost 9

On my KGT i blew thru a pair of Z6's in 6K, and then went to PR2 and have 15K and looking good.

Tire pressure i keep @ 40/42

I ride solo, as wife has her own bike, BTW we replaced her Z6's with 8k - this gives you a good differentiation of tire between bikes in the same area.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Change the rear tire

You can't look at a motorcycle tire like a car tire. You can wear a car tire down to the wear bars.

A motorcycle tire has a profile. That profile flattens as you ride if you ride a lot of straight up. Since the bike must lean to turn, unlike a car, you get poor performance when the profile degrades. I find that about the last 15-20% of a tires "legal" life is not worth riding. Change your tires, and I bet your problems go away. Keep changing them when the ride degrades. I get about 2000 good mile on a Z6, about 5000 out of a Pilot Road 2. But I'm also very, very hard on tires. My throttle is like an on/off switch.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Change the rear and if your front has much in the way of cupping you will also benefit from a front change.

The consensus tire for decent mileage on an RT is the Michelin Pilot Road II. You want the B model of it for the rear. About $275 for the pair from various mail order suppliers.

Some of us who anticipate killing multiple sets per year buy when we can get good deals and keep a spare set or two in the garage.

Rtinger
    I went to the dealer and 455 dollars later I had the problem solved with a pair of PR2....

I am thinking about finding a carpenter that can wield me a pair of wooden wheels....

Hey, you got 7500 miles out of a set of tires. That's not bad at all.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Agreed on the 7500. The BT-020 that was OEM on mine didn't last that long and was a very unloveable tire also.

That expensive dealer tire change charge is fairly typical but wasteful. A set of PR2 is $275 (with the B rear and free shipping). Generally you can find a local shop to do them for $20/tire if you bring the wheel in, more if you bring the bike. So you can get the same stuff on your bike for $140 less. Around here that's 3 ordinary dinners out for a couple)

And it is possible to get a set of the Pirelli Angels for $40 less than that and some single compound closeouts, etc for even less. If you use 2 or more sets per year, the savings will buy you a set.

Not to mention mounting and balancing yourself. My No Mar has paid for itself, not only monetarily but I also can use my tires to the absolute maximum point I want since I can change them when ready. Before, I needed to do it when I had time to take them in to a shop, etc. Now I have tires on a rack and I can toss a set on in a couple of hours.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Agreed on the 7500. The BT-020 that was OEM on mine didn't last that long and was a very unloveable tire also.

That expensive dealer tire change charge is fairly typical but wasteful. A set of PR2 is $275 (with the B rear and free shipping). Generally you can find a local shop to do them for $20/tire if you bring the wheel in, more if you bring the bike. So you can get the same stuff on your bike for $140 less. Around here that's 3 ordinary dinners out for a couple)

And it is possible to get a set of the Pirelli Angels for $40 less than that and some single compound closeouts, etc for even less. If you use 2 or more sets per year, the savings will buy you a set.
    yup, or spend about $200 on some tools (HF tire changedr, Mitch's MoJO bar and nylon blocks) and DIY. won't take long to recoup the tools costs. especially if you have more than a single bike.

there is a good thread on pelicanparts describing both the process and discussion of tool choices.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots