• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How do you clean your riding gear?

wcycle

Last year I purchased an awesome woman's BMW Belice riding suit. I love the suit and get a ton of compliments on how I look as if I came right out of the BMW catalog...lol. However, after many riding miles in all sorts of weather conditions it's starting to look nasty. The pants are the darker color so they're not too bad but the majority of the front of the jacket is lighter and now very dirty looking. I'm not sure how to get it clean and would love to hear some ideas from others who have tried and succeeded or things not to try. I want to look like I just came out of the catalog again and not like it was 20,000 miles ago:D Thanks for any suggestions!!

Ride often and ride safe!

Last year I purchased an awesome woman's BMW Belice riding suit. I love the suit and get a ton of compliments on how I look as if I came right out of the BMW catalog...lol. However, after many riding miles in all sorts of weather conditions it's starting to look nasty. The pants are the darker color so they're not too bad but the majority of the front of the jacket is lighter and now very dirty looking. I'm not sure how to get it clean and would love to hear some ideas from others who have tried and succeeded or things not to try. I want to look like I just came out of the catalog again and not like it was 20,000 miles ago:D Thanks for any suggestions!!

Ride often and ride safe!

I suspect there is a washing instructions tag somewhere in the garment. I know there is in my Aerostich stuff.

We have a number of riding outfits including several from BMW (Commuter, Airflow, Savanna) and have used Woolite on delicate with great results. These suits have been washed many times without issue. I've had the Commuter jacket for 10+ years which gets washed at least every year and it still looks good even with the occasional use of Shout stain remover.

Take out all the armor and close all the pocket zippers. If it has a liner remove it as well. Just hang to dry. Using a dryer is not recommended for most gear.

If the garment needs to be waterproofed again NikWax can be applied. I have also used 3M Scotchgard Fabric protector to keep jackets from staining but test it before applying to the entire garment.

We have a number of riding outfits including several from BMW (Commuter, Airflow, Savanna) and have used Woolite on delicate with great results. These suits have been washed many times without issue. I've had the Commuter jacket for 10+ years which gets washed at least every year and it still looks good even with the occasional use of Shout stain remover.

Take out all the armor and close all the pocket zippers. If it has a liner remove it as well. Just hang to dry. Using a dryer is not recommended for most gear.

If the garment needs to be waterproofed again NikWax can be applied. I have also used 3M Scotchgard Fabric protector to keep jackets from staining but test it before applying to the entire garment.

I too use Woolite and wash in the handwash/delicate cycle, air/fluff dry and then hang it up to thoroughly dry.

There is a line of products called Nikwax that are made for washing and caring for for gore-tex and waterproof clothing.

I have used the Nikwax product for a number of years on my Aerostich suits. It works well. Every other year I use Revivex to refresh the Gore tex. Do not expect anything to remove the road splooge that darkens the lighter color material. My Hi-Vix Darien jacket is permanently dulled. Even Aerostich says it is impossible to restore the original color.

I picked up a bottle of Granger's G Wash Spray Cleaner at my local outfitter, and I use it with a nail brush to scrub the bugs off my suit.

Also, some washing machines have a hand wash setting.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great options. I think I'll try the Woolite and maybe some spot removers and see if I can get it somewhat clean.

For the waxed cotton (Barbour) or the Olympia riding suit I like to soak them for an hour in more than warm but not scalding water using Woolite or Nixwax. After some soaking it's out on the lawn and a rinse inside and out with the hose. Air dry with reasonably constant attention on the line on a sunny day-good to go. Gary BTW 126149, welcome to the forum!

crud = cred

4964222149_fe9029ecef_z.jpg

Clean it. We're supposed to clean it? :jawdrop

I have a Rally 2 Pro suit that I've washed the pants once, and a Darien Jacket also washed once. Both times I used Nikwax products, which did a fair to average job cleaning. The pants required a second wash to get clean--I wasn't too happy with this.

Any way, that's my $0.02.

The last time I was in a local store to pick up the Tech Wash and Nick Wax, the clerk pointed out that most people don't put their garment in the dryer. He said that is the most important part as the heat bonds the Nick Wax. I've only dried my suit once, but I'll have to try it again. I have the 2-piece Roadcrafter.

Oh, to get out the grunge, I use a nail brush after smearing straight Tech Wash on the soiled spots, then a sponge, then more nail brush. With patience I've been able to get my cuffs, especially, almost clean again (they're Hi Viz yellow). Then I put the garment, without rinsing, into the washer.

Muriel

I used to remove the armor and wash in a machine. But now, all I really want to do is get the sweat out from the inside. I hang my suit in the shower and use the shower head to run water through it.

Sometimes if it is really dirty, I fill the tub with some warm water and dish detergent. I soak it a while, then wash in the shower as above. I like this since it is quick and easy and I don't hassle removing the armor.

For waterproofing, I use a waterproofing spray from REI (for backpacking) to renew the waterproofing once a year.

Never had an issue.

I run it on gentle cycle in a front loader only (per the instructions on the tag) with and extra rinse (my chioce here). I leave the armor in. It hang dries unless it is really warm out in which case I go ride and let nature handle the rest.

I just hang the Olympia high vis mesh jacket on the hooks at the car wash and give it heck with the high pressure hose. Then I saturate with foam from the foam brus and let soak while I wash the bike. Then rinse both well, 100 miles later it is dry. 3000 Miles later it is due again. This is really nice on those 100 degree summer days.

You can also have dry cleaned, remove armor first.

Rod

Back