• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aerostich

RevWillie

On the Blue Roads
Since it seems to be monsoon season in the Southeast, it makes me appreciate my Roadcrafter suit by Aerostich. Just a spraying of Scotchguard every year makes it comfortable to ride in our occasional sprizzles that we are having most days around here.

My fellow Gonzos and I have been unofficial Crash Test Dummies for Andy's suits, and we have all been able to ride again after our sudden departures from our bikes. I bought my first suit in '86 and I have never heard of a person hurt by a failure of the suit. We have been hurt while wearing a 'stich but it was not a failure of the suit (mine was a failure of a System II helmet). It is also a good outfit to wear in the humidity pit we call summer.

I highly recommend Andy Goldfine's suits to all riders-they are quality riding suits that can be worn throughout the year. I will still maintain that the Gonzo Touring Team helped design the Darian Jacket system at the '92 RA National in NC, thanks to that wonderful bottle of Scotch that Andy brought to the Rally!

A quality product with many useful features--just like our motorcycles!
:clap

I agree! My 'stich was the best suit I ever bought for riding.

I'm even hauling it all the way to N.Z., hope I don't look too silly wearing it on the plane.... (it doesn't pack well)

:)

Dave in SF

Another vote for 'stich from this satisfied consumer. I got 9 or so years and 200K miles out of my first one, destroyed a BMW suit in 3 years and just reupped for another 'stich.

And SFDave, you better post some pictures of that NZ trip.

Dave

No worries, have digital camera, will take up bandwidth.....

:clap

Great suit, if you are a man or shaped like one

Yep, the suit is just great. Only if you are a man, or shaped like one.

As a curvey female, the Aerostich didn't work for me. To get it to fit in the hips, meant that the upper body was swimming. I wore it, loved it's versatility, but absolutely hated the fit.

Even the two piece for some girls looks to me like an option, but it still doesn't fit quite right.

We just don't rate, percentage wise for Andy to cut a new pattern for women. Plus, women are not all built the same. Just doesn't make business sense for him. Doesn't make money sense for me to pay for all the alterations to get the thing to fit. I might as well buy custom leathers.

Glad to see all the happy guys (and tall thin girls) out there. It is a great product.

Doesn't fit the women

Yep, that's what my wife says about Aerostich suits-they just don't fit most women.

I have heard that some females can work with the 2-piece Darian suits and I know a very few that wear the Roadcrafter suits, but I rarely see women in the suit unless they are very thin and non-curvey. It's too bad,but you are right that it does not make money-sense for him to come up with a new set of patterns for female fit. I wish things could be different so our women riders and passengers could enjoy the suits.

:(

There would be MrsKbasa in her Savannah. She loves it.

101948-M.jpg

I like this picture

Shows why the Savanna is a good girlie fit (two different sizes for the top and bottoms):

231936-M.jpg

Love the suit.

'Stich gets my vote too. Great for commuting and if you're so inclined it's accepted by most outfits running track days or schools (e.g. Code's)

Protection as advertised. I had an unfortunate get-off last summer, landed on elbow (thank you armor) and the sleeve was repaired for just ` $75. Of course I hope I never have to test it again.

Now I've to do something about cleaning and scotchguard though.

Kevin

How about First Gear

I'm loyal to my Aerostich but in Reading Ron Ayers "Against the Clock" he says the First Gear is REALLYREALLY waterproof.

Would like to hear other 1st hand comments.

MarkF

And now totally off topic: We gotta have more pics of pretty women!

waterproof

I have a First gear Kiliminjaro jacket that I've had for about 3-4 years now . This spring it seams to have seen alot of rain and kept me bone dry. (its warm too). The first week of May, this year, I rode to Kansas City from Flint MI area (if you remember that's when they had a record number of tornados ) and on the way back home I rode all day in and out of rain storms and never once even got damp. I have Danese (spelling?) Gortex pants that work just as well. Never tried the stich but heard nothing but good things.

Fitting a Stitch is just not a female problem. I bought a Roadcrafter jacket in my normal size, ie 46 chest, and it was way too small. I sent it back for replacement or adjustment, and they sent me a refund check. Guess they just figured they couldn't fit me. Have since bought a First Gear suit and like it. Not as heavy duty as the Stitch, but probably more usable more of the year too. And yes it is very waterproof, from personal experience. Also use a Joe Rocket suit for warmer weather.

Back