• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding pants

Compared to cotton pants, jeans & such. Are these textile riding pants at all comfortable in warm / hot weather?

I've been riding for many many years,..just never tried them. Sure I have a cold weather suit,..[hardly use anymore] but always relied on jeans for most of the year.

I'd like to hear from you guys that use'em

Ron

I'm using the BMW summer pants and Aerostitch anytime else love them both. The BMW summer pants have zip off legs which are great, comfortable, clean easy etc. Wore them 7,000 miles in two weeks last summer out west from Pa and they were excellent. Only around $120.00

Tourmaster Venture Air pants, if most of your riding is in warm/hot weather. Textile where it counts, mesh where it counts less, fully- and well-armored, relatively inexpensive, full zip up the sides, rather adjustable sizing, pull on over whatever you're wearing. Stay away from Joe Rocket mesh, though their non-mesh textiles have come a long way in the last few years. I'd recommend Rev'It textiles but Tourmaster is a smaller (easier, less expensive) step in the right direction. ;-)

WAY WAY better than jeans. Will keep your skin on. Jeans won't.

I wear Olympia AirGlide mesh in the warmer months, and Olympia Rangers in the cold weather. Very comfortable, fit real well, great quality, and armor in all the right places. God forbid you ever go down, your knee caps will thank you for not wearing jeans.

I wear Olympia AirGlide mesh in the warmer months, and Olympia Rangers in the cold weather. Very comfortable, fit real well, great quality, and armor in all the right places. God forbid you ever go down, your knee caps will thank you for not wearing jeans.

+1 for the Olympia AirGlide. And I have a pair or Tourmaster Caliber Pants which are OK, too, with the padded lining zipped out.

I wore my BMW Rally 2 pants with LDComfort long underwear underneath. I was not uncomfortable at all in 110 degree heat. My head was HOT, but my legs were OK. I also wear Tourmaster mesh pants & those are good too.

Not to hijack the thread however I've been needing riding pants and wondering if anyone out there can recommend a good brand of "bib" style pants. These have shoulder straps on them like overalls do. More comfortable for large bellies! :)
Nothing worse than tight MC clothing...

Not to hijack the thread however I've been needing riding pants and wondering if anyone out there can recommend a good brand of "bib" style pants. These have shoulder straps on them like overalls do. More comfortable for large bellies! :)
Nothing worse than tight MC clothing...

Actually you bring up a good point, as I too am adominally enhanced:wave

I wear BMW pants (not the summer stuff), Joe Rocket mesh, and Draggin Jeans. The Draggin Jeans have kevlar from the knees up. Regular jeans are just going to turn into shredded cotton in a crash.

I wear Motoport Kevlar mesh pants. They are a little bulky with the armour, but they have never have been hot in the summer. Easy to get in and out of. Somewhat more difficult to get in and out with the Grotex rain liners attached. As well, they work well sliding on gravel. :ca

Hey, 71243, good question - with lots of good answers, as you've seen.

For about ten years I wore a zip-together leather suit. When I got a mesh jacket, I kept the leather pants, held up by suspenders, for warm weather. I found that my legs were more comfortable in both cold and hot weather than when I wore just jeans. (A layer of insulation from engine heat in the summer and cold air in the winter.)

I think many of the new fabric pants (with armor) provide as much comfort in the summer, maybe more; as much resistance to abrasion as leather (and regular jeans, as others have said, offer about a half notch of protection above shorts) and finally, the whole business of armor for your bony parts has come a long ways.

There are lots of choices and almost as many opinions about them. But you can believe that almost any of them will be at least as comfortable and a lot more protective than a simple pair of jeans.

I just bought an Aerostich Darian light jacket and pants. I like the fit and the armor looks like it would stay in place if I crash. In hot weather I'll wear shorts under them. I rode with just jeans and a riding jacket for many years and just started using armored pants.

I just bought an Aerostich Darian light jacket and pants. I like the fit and the armor looks like it would stay in place if I crash. In hot weather I'll wear shorts under them. I rode with just jeans and a riding jacket for many years and just started using armored pants.
I ride what many call a notorious hot K bike. In fact, the only two times that my legs have been hot during summer riding was when I wore only shorts under my riding pants. In my case it seems as if wearing long pants under my riding pants actually keeps my legs cooler during the summer rides. :ca

For my normal commute I'm generally a jeans guy, but for longer summer rides I wear First Gear Mesh-Tex 2.0 pants. Lots of air gets through, and they're very comfortable. Just do a search for mesh gear at places like NewEnough (now MotorcycleGear.com) and you'll find lots of stuff. Here's their page on mesh pants (LINK). Check out MotoLiberty, too. Here's their textile pants page (LINK). By the way, MotoLiberty's main store is in Dallas.

I do recommend that you try them on first. Your profile doesn't say where you are (I assume in the middle of Louisiana, given your username), but most large metro areas have a some good motorcycle gear stores. NewEnough is very good at swapping sizes for you if something doesn't fit, but its a pain to be constantly shipping things.

You can put suspenders on anything and Aerostich has some good 2" wide ones for about $20. To me that's the key point, not the bib becuase I don't find a bib necessary either for staying warm or keeping out water (my riding conditions are 20 - 100+ with high humidity- doesn't get any colder here). I'm not very heavy and still find that riding pants are heavy enough that they are a lot more comfortable with suspenders so you can loosen the belt and not carry the weight on your hips. Only the kevlar lined jeans and similar light stuff get used without them. Denims are only a lttle differenet from being naked if you go off at anything above walking speed so I'm always wearing some sort of gear even for short runs in town where the lined jeans are the minimum.

Back