• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What if your SO doesn't share your passion?

Another thread got me thinking about how lucky I am to have my mechanic, Paul, who shares my passion for motorcycling. I'm wondering, how do you cope when the one you enjoy sharing life with doesn't see motorcycling as as compelling as you do. . . .

Voni

Have something you do like doing together.
It doesn't have to be everything
. :brow

some thoughts

My brother rides a lot and has done so for 30 years. In high school, his girlfriend said" You will have to choose between that motorcycle and me". He said he has never looked back.

His current wife rides a Softtail.

I ride alone.

My guy partner absolutely dislikes my motorcycles so much and my passion for them so much that the "M" word is limited to 10 minutes per day! He says that any vehicle that is inherently unstable at rest is crazy and dangerous. "If ya can't back it up on grass easily it's too big for ya"! I have often helped my male campmates at a rally to back up on grass. Anyhoo, I will just do my thing, plan my trips, get the nerve up to actually leave and voila, my happiness and confidence level keeps growing with every trip. I did have an accident while riding alone....the only problem with that was that there was no one to hit the kill switch so the bike burnt to a crisp after it seized. It seems BMW's don't shut off when horizontal and have EFI! So lesson here...don't get knocked out so you can switch off the bike! My partner was a gem though in coming 1500 miles west to rescue me! So I got back on the horse in '09 and got my plans for this summer...without him...sniff!
He should'a known I loved motorcycles...there was one R65LS parked in my livingroom when he first met me in '87!!!

My guy partner absolutely dislikes my motorcycles so much and my passion for them so much that the "M" word is limited to 10 minutes per day! He says that any vehicle that is inherently unstable at rest is crazy and dangerous. "If ya can't back it up on grass easily it's too big for ya"! I have often helped my male campmates at a rally to back up on grass. Anyhoo, I will just do my thing, plan my trips, get the nerve up to actually leave and voila, my happiness and confidence level keeps growing with every trip. I did have an accident while riding alone....the only problem with that was that there was no one to hit the kill switch so the bike burnt to a crisp after it seized. It seems BMW's don't shut off when horizontal and have EFI! So lesson here...don't get knocked out so you can switch off the bike! My partner was a gem though in coming 1500 miles west to rescue me! So I got back on the horse in '09 and got my plans for this summer...without him...sniff!
He should'a known I loved motorcycles...there was one R65LS parked in my livingroom when he first met me in '87!!!

:wave Hi Sue, good to see you on here. Hope to see you in Paris, and of course in PA. I'm looking for help in Awards and Tallies...;)

my wife & I have been married for 28 years and she has no interest in riding. she will help me work on my bike, encourage me to take trips and has even told me to go buy a new bike once or twice but as i said she has no interest in riding. this year she will attend her first BMW MOA national rally, but she will be in her car not on my bike. she is really looking forward to the national, in fact maybe more then i am. i am happy Bloomsburg is only a couple hours away for us and she can get to experience the rally without having to trek half way across the country.

I hope you'll bring her to the Women Who Ride seminar on Saturday. She'll see LOTS of others who share the passion!

Voni
sMiling

Nice post Sue, the worst I ever managed was a Norton gearbox in exploded view on the coffee table.

Unfortunately Chrissy swept it all into a cardboard box to help clean up, and I then had to reconstruct it from drawings. Second time assembled it worked properly......Rod.

Back