• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

just ordered a set of these for my r12r (Storm Handguards)

f14rio

winter hand guards. i figure between them and the heated grips, i should be good to go. btw, i took a new years day ride at about 40 degrees and they would have been useful.

10362-425x350.jpg

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4880/594/

I put a set of those on my R12R before my fall trip around Kentucky this year. Early mornings in the low 40's/high 30's with lightly insulated gloves and my hands were fine. Only one morning did I need the grip heaters. One word of caution: be careful if the lower mount bracket. I didn't carefully check the clearance with the tank and now have a nice bolt head sized nick in my paint:doh
Very painful stoopid mistake on my part, I'm generally much more careful. I think you'll like them for the money.

We were also out New Year's Day, and went out for breakfast at the Hampton Bays Diner. Great day for a ride, except for the local traffic caused by Sunrise Highway being closed due to the propane issue in Shirley. Didn't see many bikes out though. Can't imagine why as it was crisp but dry all day. Perhaps our paths will cross someday.

was that the Long Island BMW Riders Club breakfast?

i was there.
sat next to charlie viola
ed flanagan
4876400781_ee44180e27.jpg

I have handguards on my GS. Worthless in cold weather.
I tried Hippohands. A bit better, but still requires heated grips. A bit awkward because you have to stick your hands in and they are a bit restrictive.
I now use Gerbings heated gloves. Toasty down to single digits, and optimum use of the electricity.
This morning I started out at 7 deg. F. Sunny all day, wonderful riding!

I've got the Barkbusters (S-7) on my RT. They extend the low end temp of any glove by about 10-15 degrees. So I find it comfortable to ride with normal weight gloves at temps down to the high 30s at any speed using just the heated grips. Below that I change to winter gloves or my Gerbing G-3s but I hate thick gloves so try to avoid them.

I agree that Barkbusters are great for 40 degree riding with normal gloves. It helps to tune their install angle so fingertips are well protected.

The Gerbings are decent but even with Barkbusters get a bit marginal at the highest speeds when the temps get to 20 or less. Below there I'd be thinking of my Wunderlich stuff or Hippo Hands though I dislike those at least as much as heavy gloves.

I have the GS handguards (the original, since NLA) on my R12R, and with the Wunderlich version of Hippohands - I'm comfy right down to about 32F. I actually have to turn the grips down to LOW from BAKE - my hands get too hot. That's with thin gauntlets on.. uninsulated.

Once you're used to the Wunderlich goobers - they are a non-issue, I only notice them when they're not there and it's cold or raining out (they are WONDERFUL in rain.. keep rain off the gloves, and keep it from running up the sleeve of my Roadcrafter.)

I own an old pair of Gerbing heated gloves, and found them too bulky and lumpy to manage the fine control a bike needs... and the heat was uneven (hot in spots, cold in other spots.)

Folks - I'm moving this to the GEAR section, since that's what it's a discussion about, and more people may find it of interest there.

HANG ON.. (and for your safety and protection, please keep your hands and feet inside the thread while it's moving...)

Whoosh.......................

I have the GS handguards (the original, since NLA) on my R12R

My bro in law had the GS version on his '07 R12R as well...when he bought an '09, they said they didn't offer them anymore..we took them off the '07. Got one dealer to find an spare set still in a box for a wreck repair.
I wonder if it was due to the design change and the problems they had with rotating against the levers. I recall getting warning labels from BMW to put on my GSA inside guards...I stuck them on my sidecase instead:)
Handguards def help as windbreakers, wouldn't call them useless.Have them on Helen's R1150R as well. I added the winglets from Wunderlich to my '05 RT that extended up from the mirror grommets.They helped knock the wind off the hands as well as an occasional rock . Anything helps.

My bro in law had the GS version on his '07 R12R as well...when he bought an '09, they said they didn't offer them anymore..we took them off the '07. Got one dealer to find an spare set still in a box for a wreck repair.
I wonder if it was due to the design change and the problems they had with rotating against the levers. I recall getting warning labels from BMW to put on my GSA inside guards...I stuck them on my sidecase instead:)
That's exactly why they discontinued them.. the newer design was much less liable to rotate against the levers (I had mine do this once or twice until I made a small change to the outer mounting, making it much harder for this to happen.)
Handguards def help as windbreakers, wouldn't call them useless.Have them on Helen's R1150R as well. I added the winglets from Wunderlich to my '05 RT that extended up from the mirror grommets.They helped knock the wind off the hands as well as an occasional rock . Anything helps.
Agree entirely.. the handguards also are very nice in rain.. as long as I keep moving my hands stay relatively dry with them... so mine stay on all year. The guards also help shape the Wunderlich muffs so they aren't near the controls.

Back