• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rusty spoke help

woodrow823

I was hoping to find some good results from some type of chemical.

They're too far gone to be concerned with the chrome.

What works?

Spoles

Amen and #1 with what Darryl says. I laced my Nortomn with stanless spokes. I had a metal polishing wheel and used it to put a chrome like shine on them prior to lacing the wheel and hub together. The spokes along with the Akront aluminum rims were beautiful. Plus side... They will never rust.

wheels/spokes

I'm restoring a 75/6 that had coroded wheels and totally rusted spokes.
I shipped them to Woody's Wheel Works in Denver.
I was blown away with the awesome result. They looked as good if not better than new. He even had chrome weights on the stainless spokes.
If your airhead is a "keeper" this is best investment. If not you still must use stainless spokes.

Paul Tavilla
R75/6
1150 GS
R1100S

After 37 years I finally broke down and had a set of Buchanan's stainless spokes laced onto my /5's rims.

The only other alternative was to painstakingly sand all the spokes with strips of emery cloth and paint them. I've loved this old putt since the day I bought it in 1974, but I don't love it that much.

The stainless steel spokes sound like something I need for my 1974 R90/6.
Great advice on the wheels by Woody's. I hope to do that soon.

Until that time, mine cleaned up well with a Dremel tool and the 511E abrasive buffing wheels.

Mother's aluminum polish got the rims looking good.

Back