• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Safe place for Guardian Bell? 06 R1200RT

K

kmkahuna

What do you guys think? Is this a safe place for the Guardian Bell on a R1200RT? I zip tied it to the telelever, where any movement of the bell would not get caught....Thought it was worth a post, see what others have done..View is from the left side of the bike, looking up into the cavity between the front wheel and the engine.

Attachments

• 168011_1808425569268_1198820545_32096002_3608620_n.jpg
    168011_1808425569268_1198820545_32096002_3608620_n.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 301
Way out front;

I keep mine on the front axle for years now. Right side. This is my older Airhead bike with a hole there to use. My newer GSA1200 has no axle hole, so i mount mine to the stainless crash bars. Anywhere is good:), at least near the front for those oncoming gremlins. I also use some fetish bears, for my tailgunner position. My rear needs protected too! I picked the "Bear", as my safe angel. A strong symbol to me:). Randy"Polarbear":thumb

Next to your deer whistles? :laugh:laugh:laugh

Money would be better spent in protective gear or a riding class. :thumb

What is the bell thing, anyway? When did this start? I see a lot of them but don't recall ever seeing people do this stuff until maybe 10 years ago.

I found this on the web, but certainly no one believes this. It sounds more like a successful marketing legend. So how did this start, anyway?

"Legend has it Evil Road Spirits have been latching themselves on to motorcycles for as long as there have been bikes on the road. These Evil Road Spirits are responsible for mechanical problems and bad luck along a journey.
Legend goes on to say that by attaching a small bell onto your bike, the Evil Road Spirits will become trapped inside the bell where the constant ringing drives them insane, making them lose their grip until they fall to the ground."

deer whistles installation

Next to your deer whistles? :laugh:laugh:laugh

Money would be better spent in protective gear or a riding class. :thumb
knew a guy who screwed up and installed his backwards. became a deer magnet. hit one within 20 minutes.

Legend goes on to say that by attaching a small bell onto your bike, the Evil Road Spirits will become trapped inside the bell where the constant ringing drives them insane, making them lose their grip until they fall to the ground."

Sounds plausible. Think it would work with a hollowed out cell phone to drive people yakking and driving out of their minds?

Great marketing, warm wishes from friends

What is the bell thing, anyway? When did this start? I see a lot of them but don't recall ever seeing people do this stuff until maybe 10 years ago.

I found this on the web, but certainly no one believes this. It sounds more like a successful marketing legend. So how did this start, anyway?

"Legend has it Evil Road Spirits have been latching themselves on to motorcycles for as long as there have been bikes on the road. These Evil Road Spirits are responsible for mechanical problems and bad luck along a journey.

Well, it might have well been some marketing, or a local custom that went viral, but it sure was a nice gift from caring friends. I like it: mine has the U.S. Navy insignia on it, my old alma-mater, so to speak...
http://www.guardianbell.com/
That's really all it is: Unless you really believe in Gremlins...

Attachments

• gremlin-gregorymathews_capu.jpg
    gremlin-gregorymathews_capu.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 198
Yeah, my wife has one on her bike and loves it. Until she got one, I'd not really heard about them.

bells

I thought the bells only worked on harleys with loud pipes.

I had one that was a gift from my Harley riding brother and law and put it on the rear of the bike near the license plate and someone stole it as I had it zip tied on so it didn't just fall off.

So, if the "karma" doubles when you get the bell as a gift, one would assume that it would be negative karma if you stole one!

And what kind of an A-hole would steal a bell. I mean really. It's not expensive so the only possible reason to do it is that you are a jerk. Sure, someone who steals your helmet, etc., is a jerk, too, but those things are pricey and prone to theft.

So, if the "karma" doubles when you get the bell as a gift, one would assume that it would be negative karma if you stole one!

And what kind of an A-hole would steal a bell. I mean really. It's not expensive so the only possible reason to do it is that you are a jerk. Sure, someone who steals your helmet, etc., is a jerk, too, but those things are pricey and prone to theft.

Please put down the Bell...you have 20 seconds to comply...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MrmUBrT2p4&NR=1

Attachments

• ed209.jpg
    ed209.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 73
I have one on my Harley...never considered putting one on my RT.

put it on the backside of the bike. so when the gremlins fall off they don't get under your rear tire. I hang mine from Lic. plate.

ya I had the darn thing hanging low on the skid plate. But you know I could hear it clunking on the plate and drove me nuts. I thought something was wrong sounded like valves ticking. I had to move it to the back at least if it rattled back there the noise is behind me.

Back