• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who will be the GS Giant?

Good morning, Giants!

Scorebooks are REALLY being emailed out today! :type

Oh....and Giants are known for their patience!

The Intermediate GS Loop from Bloomsburg was recently scouted for issues. The road surface is mixed and there are a few sudden deep pot holes that can catch you off guard so do not be too confident with speed because this route will teach you. I bottomed my forks three times hard enough to wonder if I had damage ...lucky I did not because part of this ride has no cell coverage due to deep woods between two mountains.

There are too steep areas that make this an intermediate venture complete with a narrow single lane meandering up or down the mountain. In one spot passed a Road Closed sign partly washed down the mountain and being placed there due to erosion issues. The public highway entrance from the other direction does not reflect this hazard.

Part of this route is on an old railroad bed that once hauled lumber and ice from the mountain spring lakes then it stopped at the Tannery for a load of hides before being liked with the Jersey Central lines to the east. This trail has problem areas with ruts, run off issues, and there are places of hand sized loose rocks that play with your tires and suspension. The road side grow is tight to the edge of the narrow path so be mindful of oncoming traffic, ATVs, horseback riders, and speeding Jeeps caring not that you share the road. Of course there will be walkers and fisherman along the Bowmans Creek thanks to a popular swimming hole.

Once upon a time a friend of mine hit a bear in the a.... because it was eating berries on a blind corner. Besides the negativity one could do this way by being careful on street tires ..... Michelin Pilots to be exact. I can't remember if they were 2s or 4s because there is too much dust on the side walls. :)

The important factor, its a long GS loop, and in places you have the whole area to yourself. Deep in Penns Sylvania...... and not a sound of a Banjo but you can pick up your sheet music in the GS Giant Area.

gps file for Gypsy Tour Routes

Having difficulty saving the file. Getting "invalid" when using Internet Explorer as browser. Tried w/ AOL, msg is something about it being cancelled and to hit refresh....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(btw I was saving the gdb file for Garmin and Broadband is working fine.)

hermy's big dog adventure

When is the Hermy's Big Dog Adventure or is that part of the altrider giant loop? I was looking forward to riding the black dakar, tight single track and goin through those tunnels! I thought that ws the altrider giant loop. I could be wrong though?

When is the Hermy's Big Dog Adventure or is that part of the altrider giant loop? I was looking forward to riding the black dakar, tight single track and goin through those tunnels! I thought that ws the altrider giant loop. I could be wrong though?

Altrider's loop is Wednesday morning and BMW PCs trip to Hermys is Friday morning. So with the Gypsie Tour, Altrider and BMWs GS ride you will see alot of dirt plus there is more locally.

Altrider's loop is Wednesday morning and BMW PCs trip to Hermys is Friday morning. So with the Gypsie Tour, Altrider and BMWs GS ride you will see alot of dirt plus there is more locally.

Thanks for the info Statdawg. Will the BMW PCs trip be back in time for the GS Giant competition on Friday?

Thanks for the info Statdawg. Will the BMW PCs trip be back in time for the GS Giant competition on Friday?

The Judges are on the GS Ride.

;) So keep them in your mirrors for a little Icabod Crane action on the return.

:bow

Attachments

• Ichabod.jpg
    Ichabod.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 58
Registration for the GS Giant Events is now CLOSED.

But you can still get in on the action at the rally by signing up at the GS Giant area, located inside the racetrack. Or... if you're a last minute Gypsy Tourist, show up at The Forest Lodge on Sunday, July 17 and get signed up there.

It looks like the Friday morning BMW PC ride is filled up, though, and they'll be pretty busy on Thursday, too... doing "Taste of training" sessions on the GS Giant Track.

There is a GREAT deal on MSF training ahead of the Rally... and you can even rent a dirt bike, both for training or for riding on the track.

Much other stuff, like ride-in movies, special seminars that aren't on the schedule (because the Giant isn't all that organized.... :ha ) and free stuff.

Hope you can make it. and a GIANT Thank-You! to people who registered early. :nod

My GS Giant Scorebook has arrived, been printed and perused. I'm in the Big Leagues now boy.

Very nicely done also.:wave

[Much other stuff, like ride-in movies, special seminars that aren't on the schedule (because the Giant isn't all that organized.... :ha )

There is nothing free, riders have to get down and dirty. ;)

Folks, its has been an adventure inviting guests months in advance and they didn't decide to join us till after everything went to print. Its almost as bad as those registering late. You just don't know who is coming...........

:hide

The presentation and seminar situation happens at some Horizons Unlimited meetings, there will be open time, so the organizers will walk through the camping area looking for someone with a powerpoint presentation ..... don't worry my sharp eyes will be out looking on Rally Wednesday and Thursday. And in the spirit of that storied rider community we have Rene Cormier attending our event and he has offered his time to give everyone a Road Scholar eductaion unless someone else is delaying his journey........and we can't find a projector. :ca

Then our Gypsie Tour leader Patrick Trahan of Dakar fame had a terrible accident in west Africa and is now in Physical Therapy. Best wishes to Patrick and thank you Twisted Throttle in supporting him and us. Patrick is another Canadian. :ca

Now, Twisted Throttle is kind enough to find a replacement so they are sending a German Trainee that some how ended up in their luggage from Garmisch. He is coming to the BMW MOA rally to learn English since our members are so PC on the forum, what better place to be embraced by such a nice family..........I hope our French speakers do not confuse him. :german

And I heard a rumor, whoever wins the GS Giant event(s) has to Chair the GS Giant in Missouri ........ the show me state. :whistle

Its been an adventure..........and thank you for being part of it.

Christopher Dawe
a.k.a. Herr An'al
GS Co-Chair and Local Resource Chair

Ian, Chris, and all those who have worked so hard on this event, I want to say thanks. This sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Just received scorebook, fixin to send to Kinko's to get printed. Then I realize my number is 13, HOLY MOLY what did I do? How can this be, they don't have a 13th floor in office buildings, NO one numbers a race car 13. How can I ever get my helmet on straight knowing this?

Just had to vent, by the way, if this counts as BS points against me please retract the last paragraph.

Still looking for more folks to rent small bikes for the Trials track and MSF Training so please spread the word around.

Dan

Ian, Chris, and all those who have worked so hard on this event, I want to say thanks. This sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Just received scorebook, fixin to send to Kinko's to get printed. Then I realize my number is 13, HOLY MOLY what did I do? How can this be, they don't have a 13th floor in office buildings, NO one numbers a race car 13. How can I ever get my helmet on straight knowing this?

Just had to vent, by the way, if this counts as BS points against me please retract the last paragraph.

Still looking for more folks to rent small bikes for the Trials track and MSF Training so please spread the word around.

Dan

i actually thought about this when sending out your score book. "should i just skip to 14? i asked.

"no... this is karma. Dan is such a good rider that he needs some psyching out."

others should thank me. my evil plan is working. :evil

ian

Its a wolf .......... its a wolf !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i actually thought about this when sending out your score book. "should i just skip to 14? i asked.

"no... this is karma. Dan is such a good rider that he needs some psyching out."

others should thank me. my evil plan is working. :evil

ian

It is for 12 jurors and 1 judge, the wearer is his own Judge and Jury ....... a Lone Wolf biker

:bow :bow :bow

Back