• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who will be the GS Giant?

Vol. at the Rally or before

Hi folks and Randy. I rode up to the rally with Randy last year and pre rode the trails for the GS rides. We ran into deep snow on one of the trails and had to modify the ride. Anyway I'll be coming from Chicago this year and would like to help out. Randy sorry to hear you might not make it. If some one would get in touch I'll be glad to do most anything.

Joe

volunteers, don't be shy!

joe - thanks, and pm sent.

Folks, in order to have truth in advertising (that is, to pull off what we're promising in this thread) we neeeeeeeeeedz volunteers!

*especially* needed is a person/team in western PA to help us pull off the GS Gypsy Tour. :ear

Ian

Detour from NYC area

Gentlemen,
I am planning to ride to the rally from the NYC area. The goal is to absolutely avoid highways (other than having to cross the Hudson river), largely avoid roads that have numbers and whereever possible avoid pavement.
Potential ride partners are welcome, and so are suggestions of not-to-be-missed roads.

Welcome Dirtric

Gentlemen,
I am planning to ride to the rally from the NYC area. The goal is to absolutely avoid highways (other than having to cross the Hudson river), largely avoid roads that have numbers and whereever possible avoid pavement.
Potential ride partners are welcome, and so are suggestions of not-to-be-missed roads.

Dirtric, welcome to the forum and GS Giant. There is a scouting trip in order to link some dirt roads from Hancock NY to north of the rally site and link with the western Pa GS venue. *This review must assure the roads are not closed or damaged from our long winter.

Heading south or down the Delaware I think our dirt roads are limited so it would be a combination of surfaces.

For back road paved, which way do you plan to cross the Delaware ?

Would you be interested in forming your own group say meet at the Ear Inn then venture here on Rally week Tuesday or Wednesday ? On my end I could make a map or GPS file for your plan.

I am very much interested in forming my own group to head there from NYC. I am planning to cross the Delaware Rider at the Delaware Water Gap, coming from the north, though not as far north as Hancock, I do know some troublesome and fun routes south from Hancock to the water gap, though, if you're interested.
From Delaware Water Gap I am planning to head towards the rally site in a southwesterly direction, staying well north of I78/US 22.
Planning the route on the GPS is half the fun for me, but I will happily accept tips and suggestions!
Dietrich
Dirtric, welcome to the forum and GS Giant. There is a scouting trip in order to link some dirt roads from Hancock NY to north of the rally site and link with the western Pa GS venue. *This review must assure the roads are not closed or damaged from our long winter.

Heading south or down the Delaware I think our dirt roads are limited so it would be a combination of surfaces.

For back road paved, which way do you plan to cross the Delaware ?

Would you be interested in forming your own group say meet at the Ear Inn then venture here on Rally week Tuesday or Wednesday ? On my end I could make a map or GPS file for your plan.

Hey Joe H;

Randy here, glad to see ya here again. Chicago? I'm still trying on my end to make Pennsylvania and saving dollars as fast as I can to get over the "gas pinch" this year:). SO, look for me again, as I am still plugging away at this coming riding season and still riding the GSA1200. Get your GSA back? Make contact with Visian(IAN) as he needs guys like you:)...Randy

Randy here, glad to see ya here again. Chicago? I'm still trying on my end to make Pennsylvania and saving dollars as fast as I can to get over the "gas pinch" this year:). SO, look for me again, as I am still plugging away at this coming riding season and still riding the GSA1200. Get your GSA back? Make contact with Visian(IAN) as he needs guys like you:)...Randy

Hey Polarbear... I've been in communications with Joe and have just sent him an assignment... converting GPS routes into Google Maps for those that are not GPS rocket scientists.

Is there anyone else out there that can help with this? We've got a goodly number of Adventure Detours courtesy of various friends around the country and we need to create corresponding Google Maps.

Is there anyone who knows how to do this automatically? I am using Garmin Basecamp (basically Mapsource for the Mac) and I can view a GPS route in Google Earth like a charm... but when you try to do the same thing in Google Maps, no joy.

Ian

Hey Polarbear... I've been in communications with Joe and have just sent him an assignment... converting GPS routes into Google Maps for those that are not GPS rocket scientists.

Is there anyone else out there that can help with this? We've got a goodly number of Adventure Detours courtesy of various friends around the country and we need to create corresponding Google Maps.

Is there anyone who knows how to do this automatically? I am using Garmin Basecamp (basically Mapsource for the Mac) and I can view a GPS route in Google Earth like a charm... but when you try to do the same thing in Google Maps, no joy.

Ian

Yes.

If you'd like to send me a sample file I'll convert and send you a link. Save the route as a .GPX file first.

Yep:)

I have a great friend, West Coast Phil James(F800 Dirt guy) that did this very task for us in Redmond at the rally, with much success, so I'll go look him up to see what he thinks he can do. Aok! GS Riders for all the pre rally rides last year lined up for this guy to upload their GPS's and it worked out swell. We'll see. Glad Joe Hutt is in contact, as we had a great time last year en route and at the rally. Joe was a great, very worthy helping hand on a F800GS and also owns a GSA1200...:)....Randy

First time looking at the GS Giant tread. Hoping to join in on the fun this year. Sounds like a great time is coming together.

First time looking at the GS Giant tread. Hoping to join in on the fun this year. Sounds like a great time is coming together.

Hey RH - great to hear that you found this.

Lots going on, you can read about it here over the next two months, and in the BMW ON. Be sure to Like on "The GS Giant" on Facebook, too.

Don't know what your plans are ahead of the rally, but if you're planning on joining the GS Giant Gypsy Tour, the Whispering Pines Campground will be your home on the last night of the ride.

HOWEVER... you don't have to be on the Gypsy Tour, or even a GS Giant competitor to camp here, should you be looking for a place to stay near Bloomsburg ahead of the rally.

The GS Giants will be showing up on Tuesday PM, July 19th, but ahead of that it's clean and green. just don't hog up all the space.

Here is a peek at the facilities:

2010-687-L.jpg

Nice shady camping on flat, soft grass.​

2010-689-L.jpg

2010-693-L.jpg

2010-690-L.jpg

Pretty darn nice facilities.​

2010-691-L.jpg

2010-694-L.jpg

Look forward to seeing you there! :thumb

Ian

Thanks for the campground info, looks great. I need to look into some of these rides and events and hopefully hook up with some of you before and/or during the rally. Looking forward to some well needed time on the bike.

our volunteers are out scouting routes, and man is there ever a great number of adventure rides across the state of PA.

Gypsy Tour riders are especially in for a treat.... and registration is now open!

IRELANDB%252520176.JPG

Owl's Nest Road

DSC02401.JPG

Near Emporium, PA.

Thanks to Rich Russell, volunteer ride scout.

Back