• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mesh Cargo Nets

terryjj1

May seem silly but I was wondering what the status quo is on make and size of mesh cargo nets?...:scratch

New to camping for 2011 so getting the correct info is vital before the money starts flying out of the wallet...:wave

I think two would suffice....for a R1200RT..I've only ever seen pics of them.....does BMW make specific ones for their bikes?...:scratch

thanks in advance..

In the beginning I have used mesh cargo nets but straps are really the safest, most secure way to pack your gear. :gerg

Having a bike that really wasn't meant to tour I've had to come up with a way to secure bags (made for the bike) and all the other things I want to take for camping (tent, bag and air mattress, kermit chair, etc.) I tie everything down with straps first, once it's all in place I secure it all with a cargo net. I consider the cargo net a bit of insurance. So far so good. It's probably not the best pack job but it works for my bike.

Attachments

• GR3 May 15-17 2009 013.jpg
    GR3 May 15-17 2009 013.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 737
Yikes

Having a bike that really wasn't meant to tour I've had to come up with a way to secure bags (made for the bike) and all the other things I want to take for camping (tent, bag and air mattress, kermit chair, etc.) I tie everything down with straps first, once it's all in place I secure it all with a cargo net. I consider the cargo net a bit of insurance. So far so good. It's probably not the best pack job but it works for my bike.

Susan,

That is quite the packing job.......all this stuff was secure and left you worry free?

Very impressive......I guess a cargo net is my next purcahse....is this cargo net a BMW one or just generic?.....

Wow, Sue, that's an impressive job!

Ever since I found Rok Straps, I stopped using bungees and cargo nets. Here's a shot from camping in Death Valley, in 2005:

PA031561_med.jpg

The little parcel rack on my R60/2 doesn't give much of a platform to strap stuff to, but it still works. The gray bag has my tent, sleeping bag, pad, mess kit, stove, and a few other bits in it. The tan bag has a nice fold out chair. The "enduro" hard bags are suprising small, and have some extra clothes in them.

Susan,

That is quite the packing job.......all this stuff was secure and left you worry free?

Very impressive......I guess a cargo net is my next purchase....is this cargo net a BMW one or just generic?.....

Generic.....nothing special. Was under $8. Straps are ROK (pull to tighten)and the bungee cords are the heavy duty adjustable type. Nothing has budged on my rides to rallies. I got lucky on the first worry free trip and haven't changed the pack since. The older bungees are just to lift the tent and chair as not to block the brake light.

Difference?

Wow, Sue, that's an impressive job!

Ever since I found Rok Straps, I stopped using bungees and cargo nets. Here's a shot from camping in Death Valley, in 2005:

PA031561_med.jpg

The little parcel rack on my R60/2 doesn't give much of a platform to strap stuff to, but it still works. The gray bag has my tent, sleeping bag, pad, mess kit, stove, and a few other bits in it. The tan bag has a nice fold out chair. The "enduro" hard bags are suprising small, and have some extra clothes in them.

thanks Darryl,

What is different and better about ROK straps as opposed to just straps?...I see the reasoning behind dangerous bungee cords.....that is a very cool picture and bike....

thanks

thanks Darryl,

What is different and better about ROK straps as opposed to just straps?...I see the reasoning behind dangerous bungee cords.....that is a very cool picture and bike....

thanks

Rok Straps don't use hooks. Instead, they have loops on each end and a Fastex type buckle in the middle. You separate the two ends and then run each side around a tube and through its loop. It can't come loose and the soft webbing won't mar your paint. Then you buckle them together.

One side is just a long piece of webbing that you can tighten through the buckle. The other side is a piece of flat, bungee-like material (but about the width of three bungees), that provides some give and tension to the whole thing. Once buckled together, you pull on the webbing to tighten it.

Darryl, check out the new seat (what you can see of it). Thanks to you I have a really comfy ride now. :wave

Glad to have been able to help. It looks narrow in front, is that so you can get your feet down? The seat on my modern bike (07 R12ST) is like that.

I've got four bikes with Rick Mayer seats. I just rode my modern bike down to LA for Xmas, to see the folks and the in-laws. 6 hours each way, and no problems.

PAul,

Straps as in the type you can pull to tighten or bungee type cords?

thanks

I have used Helen Two Wheel straps for really tightening luggage down. They come with a D ring, similar to your helmet's. During the last two riding seasons, I have also used ROK straps, another good product, although I can't get stuff quite as tight with these as the Helen's (no longer distributed by Helen). The ROK straps make for easy removal if something is needed inside the bike. Neither of these straps will scratch the paint work. Have used straps with metal buckles successfully in the beginning, with no paint scratching.

However, with two of my three camping tents, each tent will fit inside the GIVI 50L top box, with space leftover for other items. Being better organized, I now try to strap far less to the bikes. The exception will be the newest tent (8'x14' with a large vestibule), and maybe a fold up chair when travelling. It is not unusual while travelling on long trips, to have only a tank bag strapped on either bike.

I always travel with an empty wet bag and a set of unused straps, for any neat souvenirs that I come across that need to be strapped onto the bike and carried home.

Glad to have been able to help. It looks narrow in front, is that so you can get your feet down? The seat on my modern bike (07 R12ST) is like that.
I flat foot with no problem. I wanted more height and upright position. Using the original seat that is what Rick came up with per my requests.

i like the nets, though they can and do stretch out. I keep one on the bikes seat at all times.

If you decide to go with the nets, these bungee anchors are a life saver:
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/products/product.asp?Item=BBUD
On each side case I have 2 on top and 1 on the rear

I may get out the sewing machine and rig up some locking straps.

I keep a net on the bike for emergency use only. I also have a set of ROK straps permanently on the bike to attach misc loads to the luggage rack. Yesterday they were used to get 30 pounds of cat litter home. Here they are in use bringing new toys home about 4 years ago.

1139617868_Hyigu-O.jpg

I've also used Hellen 2 Wheels straps (and some of her bags). I still use them on the vintage bike.

1139632340_qNeqH-O.jpg

The other straps I use are Andy Strapz from Australia. Expensive suckers! The ones pictured below are 1 meter long single straps. I've also a double strap used to strap my sleeping bag on the other pannier.

1139635876_LV6KS-O.jpg

I would only use straps for the heavy

stuff that you carry when touring. But i also carry a mesh cargo net for putting my jacket liner or extra shirt under when my luggage is full. Or ocassionally when i my camelback is empty. And that is about the most that i would trust one of those nets with.

YMMV

Nice pack job.Also nice bike,I have never seen that model before.:thumb

+1 on ROK straps. I have a cargo net too. The cargo net is great for strapping light items to the back seat, like a pair of walking shoes, a backpack, etc. It's quick and efficient, but when I used it for heavier items (a carry-on suitcase) it shifted alarmingly when I braked or accelerated. The cargo net I have just wasn't heavy duty enough. For camping I now put my bulky or heavy gear in a North Face waterproof duffel bag and strap it down with ROK straps to the back seat. It worked great on a 12 day trip last summer, everything felt very secure.

Back