• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

91 K100RS 4V w\ABS Radical Turn Signals

mindtrainer

My friend Gilbert bought a 91 K100RS 4 Valve bike that had been sitting for a very long time. He now has the engine purring like a kitten but the turn signals are giving him a chalenge.

When he turns on the bike without even starting the motor some of them will blink only if he holds down the switches. The symptoms will change almost every time he shuts off and turns on the bike.

He has checked and cleaned the ground wires under the tank. He cleaned and or replaced every bulb and socket. We have tried 2 other blinker relays.

Here are more symptoms:

Sometimes the Motrinic or ABS warning relays seem to make a blinking sound.
Sometimes the blinker relay buzzes.
Sometimes the turn signals will work and the next time others will work.
I have seen them all work some of the times.

There seems to be no pattern in what causes the buzzing or blinking sound.

All of this was demonstrated to me without starting the motor.

The bike has a New fully charged Battery. Battery connectors are clean.

He says that when he test rode the bike he doesn't think that the ABS braking system was working.

Any suggestions or advise will be passed on and is appreciated. Thank you.....

I'd be looking at the central grounding point, which is located under the tank on the center-tube of the frame. It's a threaded stud welded to the tube. Take the nut off, clean (sand) each of the ring connectors and the surface of the frame that the connectors contact. DO NOT USE GREASE on the connectors... replace all the connectors and snug up the nut.

Having lots of odd-ball electrical problems usually indicates some central point is acting up. The central ground is the most "central point" in the entire electrical system on a K bike.

Central Ground is Clean...

Don,

Thanks for chiming in. The central ground was one of the first things my friend Gilbert looked at too. He owns 2 other K Bikes and an Airhead. And has owned, sold & maintained many more. But despite his experience and my 2 cents worth we are pretty much baffled.

One other point. His electrical problems are confined to the turn signals. With the possible exception of the ABS brakes. Why other relays feel & sound like they are blinking at times is odd.

The bike starts and runs fine.

Do the later bikes have a problem with dust in the starters? On the K75s, if the starter is dirty, problems arise with the electrics.

Do the later bikes have a problem with dust in the starters? On the K75s, if the starter is dirty, problems arise with the electrics.
No - an entirely different circuit/starter.

One other possibility is a failed wiring harness. Not a frequent failure - but it does happen. There are a LOT of wires running in rather restricted space, and at times the harnesses have been known to short. This is difficult to troubleshoot - but wiggling the harness while the wacky-stuff(tm) is happening may give a clue, if it gets worse or better, you have a suspect area. Also check any sections of the harness that are tie-wrapped to the frame.. BMW has traditionally assigned the strongest gorilla in the plant to install these, and they are almost always way over-tight (they just need to be tight enough to keep things in position..)

Checking Wiring harness... Still Looking

Happy New Year Everyone...

My friend Gilbert has since stripped, checked and re soldered the entire front lighting wiring harness. Once while the front fairing was removed it seemed the the turn signals worked perfectly.

The next time the ignition switch was turned off and on the problems returned even with the fairing off.

He is now going to start looking at the rear lighting harness. I told him not to strip it; just disconnect it and see what happens.

I'll keep you all informed as to his progress....

When you say "stripped" - do you mean he unwound the cloth tape around the harness?

The headlight/turn-signal wiring is in the main harness (that runs up near the backbone of the frame) - to really access that harness section requires R&R of it. There are two control sub-harnesses for the left/right bar controls and depending on the model there may be some small harnesses going to the actual turnsignal housings (some do, some don't..)

Yes

Yes, he unwound all the cloth in the front of the bike and soldered all the brown grounds together and even drilled a hole and screwed another ground.

Right now he has pretty much given up...

He says that he can manually blink them using the normal switches. In other words they don't blink.

Thanks again for helping Don.

Gilbert thinks he found the problem...

My friend Gilbert has been playing with the problem relentlessly for a while now. This evening he called me and told me he thinks he knows what is causing the problem:

The turn signal canceling button is stuck in the on position. If I understand him right it's constantly canceling the signal but I guess since it's located on the pod with the starter button it may even be somewhat intermittent.

Just for the record my friend Gilbert is French and does not feel comfortable writing in a forum in English.

I will write more about this issue when next I see him in person and see this bad switch for myself.

I used to have problems with the turn signal cancelling switch, too---until I squirted some WD-40 in there---now everything's fine.:dance

Bon chance, Gilbert!

Back