• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Swapping Bikes

BCKRider

Kbiker
You are out on a local ride with a few friends, stop for coffee, and somebody asks you (or you ask him) "care to swap bikes for the next ___?"

I've done this twice: 1) I asked - and was granted the privilege - of swapping my K75 for an R1200R. Though I never had ridden an oilhead, I wasn't surprised by the strong response to the throttle. But I was surprised by the lack of a gear indicator on this much newer bike and the vibration just above 4000 rpm. "They all do that." Hmmm. Since my swappee was a former K75 owner, I didn't have any fears for my bike in his hands. We rode this curvy road at moderate speeds and nothing bad happened, and I learned that his bike was not the bike of my dreams. 2) A guy asked me if I would swap my K100RS for his G650 (?) We hadn't gone far before I knew that was another bike not for me. He thought my K100 would get him far to many speeding tickets. Another lesson learned, and again no bad consequences.

I'm sure you have all felt the temptation to ride a very different bike from your current ride, whether that is an old airhead, the latest high hp offering from BMW, a Ducati, etc. You also know this short-term swap will not involve any parking lot practice to get acquainted with the brakes, response to handle bar inputs, etc. There are certainly some dangers.

So what do you do, and why?

Doug, a long time ago, I was told, "Never loan your car/bike or girlfriend to anybody; they may throw a rod in either one.":brow I'm glad that didn't happen to you, but .........

Tom

. But I was surprised by the lack of a gear indicator on this much newer bike

There is a gear indicator in the LCD screen on that bike...Ridden a few...sure seems like. My GS does...same cluster

Anyways...have swapped on rides, owners know each other and would ride bike like it was theirs....since I am on theirs as well. And if something were to happen, would do the right thing. My insurance covers other operators...like my brother or children as well. Helen and I swap back and forth..but we ride the same bikes at times so that doesn't count I guess:love

A quick brake test and slow speed wig wag or two and I give it a go...since we have both ABS and non ABS...linked and unlinked bikes in our stable...very aware of differences between bikes.

Sure have. Was riding a K1100LT at the time and my buddy was riding a Goldwing 1500. Couldn't wait to get back on the K bike.

Never have swapped on a ride. I'm not really interested in the other bikes normally unless I am going to trade anyhow. I'd rather avoid any issues should one of us drop the bike. No matter what, the easiest way to lose a friendship is over money issues. To me it's just not worth the risk to either of us including possible injuries and that includes folks I know who were trained to ride to the same level as I was.

I'm not trying to put anyone down over this, it's just not something I do.

Doug, a long time ago, I was told, "Never loan your car/bike or girlfriend to anybody; they may throw a rod in either one.":brow I'm glad that didn't happen to you, but .........

Tom

:laugh I've heard that paraphrased by some 'Motor Company' enthusiasts as:

My wife - yes, my dog - maybe, my bike - never...

As for me, I often swap (the bike) for short periods with friends. Always makes me appreciate my ride more. :D

JP

It's not something I go out of my way to do, but I've done it on a couple of occasions. It's fun to feel what others are riding and experiencing.

Only when I know the other rider very well have I done this.

While I am not interested in selling now, I am not looking forward to letting
a stranger take a test ride on my K75RT. The transmissions on these bikes take
some getting used to. They are not seamless like many Japanese bikes and
until you learn to pre-load the shifter, they tend to do a lot of clunking in and
out of gear. It took me almost 1000 miles before I really got used to properly
shifting it. It would not surprise me to have someone come back after a test
ride and ask what is wrong with the transmission . After putting about a hundred
miles on this bike, I called the last owner and asked if he had trouble with it, his
reply was no, that's the way they are and you'll learn to do it, just give it some
time. While I was thinking I just bought something that someone else was lucky
to get rid of, he turned out to be 100% correct about just giving it some time, it
has turned out to be the nicest and most trouble free bike I have ever owned.
Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find another K75 owner to buy it someday.

If I know the owner of the other bike a swap is likely to happen. You get to ride something different and see if you might like what your friend is riding. Most of the time I'm glad to return to my bike. The chance to ride an old classic or bike that you have read about but never ridden I see, as an opportunity to learn about and hopefully enjoy something you might never have the chance to ride.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

I would like to add that even though I have rode over 200,000 miles on bikes I am still nervous when I ride a bike I don't own. I have just bought my second used K1200LT I plan on letting experienced riders use it to go riding in the mountains with or with out me. I spent two hours with my insurance agent last week working out the details. I'm not sure how it will work out but I know I'll be a nervous wreck at first.:bikes

Like the people very close to me in my life, I don't swap my motorcycles with others, with very rare exception. To me, a motorcycle is far too personal a choice that I don't want any opportunity for someone else to mess it up for me. All it takes is a little concentration hiccup on their part and my bike is a mess. The moment you assume or accept that person is a good rider is the moment you can kiss your bike goodbye.

This comment by another posted make me go "hmmmm": "But I was surprised by the lack of a gear indicator on this much newer bike".

Never felt the need for a gear indicator on any bike I have ever ridden. Why have to look down at some gauge or indicator to tell me what I already feel? For my riding I prefer to feel what is right.

I've swapped rides with friends a number of times over the years. I've accumulated seat time on on some pretty neat bikes that way ... Ducati 750 F1 & Hailwood Replica, Guzzi LeMans & V7 Sport, Ariel Red Hunter and Square Four, an HP2 etc, as well as a lot of more tame machinery.

Everybody has always taken it easy on the rides as it's just about enjoying the machinery.

Can I?

I ride an old R80/7 and while we own several other bikes it has always been my bike of choice for long trips. Somehow people think I should get a newer bike and they offer me to test ride their's....and I do. I enjoyed all the other bikes I rode but nothing comes close to the feeling of my old one that seems to be tailored just to me. I love the S bikes...but would collect nothing but speeding tickets, I enjoyed the touring bikes....but they seemed to be "too comfortable", I love the GS...but I am too short,...they are too heavy, they vibrate, they do not vibrate,too loud, too quiet, too technical...etc. Everytime I think I found a bike I could like some nice owner would let me test ride it and I found out I didn't - saved a lot of money that way. As for me... I always offer riders to get on my bikes..especially if they have never ridden a BMW. As for "Old Blue" young riders just love to try it out and instantly fall in love with the old bike! Swaping is good as long as it is clear that any damage will be taken care off!:thumb

I really appreciate it when people let me borrow their used bikes so I can see what it's like. I do the same thing for people who are into it.

IMG_0031med.jpg

P5023585crop.jpg

100_2490_horz.jpg

P5010705-1med.jpg

Last edited:
Back when the Hurt report first came out, I remember being impressed by a statistic that said most accidents happened to new riders (first 90 days I think) or those on borrowed bikes. Riding an unfamiliar bike can be problematic if you encounter a situation that requires intense braking or maneuvers.

As for loaning a bike, you really want to know something about the rider's skill and mindset. Even a minor tip over on a faired bike can be really expensive. I've also met a few would be test pilots who gave every vehicle they borrowed a 10/10ths workout.

I have no problem letting my bestest HD buddy ride any of my bikes. He rides them better than I do. I am however, not interested in riding his land yacht-Ultra Glide.

I'll convert him yet!

Doug,

Are you sure that was an R12R?

An R12R has a gear indicator - actually much bigger and easier to read then the one on the K75 (and it doesn't get confused when it gets wet out..)

Vibration above 4k - - well you can feel the engine. But along with that, around 4K is when the engine becomes interesting (not running out of breath like the K75..) 5K it comes ALIVE.

And almost everyone who has ridden an R12R - comes back and buys one. Especially if they came off a K75.. (BDTD..)

As a track instructor I sometimes drive student cars BUT I will never flog someone elses machine like I will my own. For one thing, I didn't prep it or even know for certain (beyond usual tech checks) that it is sound. I've gotten to drive a whole lot of very pricey stuff I'd never buy as well as develop my own opinions of the relative merits of some very expensive toys.

Same holds true for bikes not mine- but I will ride one if interested and its offered.
Day after tomorrow I've been offered a chance to use a friends K bike so I don't have to bring my RT- not sure yet what I'll do because I prefer mine but I want to ride and mine may not be there.

I've seen competent racers abuse and destroy engines on loaners- forgetting to use their skills in a courteous manner and then not covering the damage. Another reason I won't flog someone else's too hard- I coludn't do that with a clear consciece and don't want to buy anyone else a motor. But for more gentle street use, this isn't really an issue.

As a track instructor I sometimes drive student cars BUT I will never flog someone elses machine like I will my own. For one thing, I didn't prep it or even know for certain (beyond usual tech checks) that it is sound. I've gotten to drive a whole lot of very pricey stuff I'd never buy as well as develop my own opinions of the relative merits of some very expensive toys driving stuff owned by others.

Same holds true for bikes not mine- but I will ride one if interested and its offered.
Day after tomorrow I've been offered a chance to use a friends K bike so I don't have to bring my RT- not sure yet what I'll do because I prefer mine but I want to ride and mine may not be there. Not a question of beating it to death- jut a casual street ride- and I have done some work on that bike so know it is in OK shape.

I've seen competent racers abuse and destroy engines on loaners- forgetting to use their skills in a courteous manner and then not covering the damage. Another reason I won't flog someone else's too hard- I couldn't do that with a clear conscience and don't want to buy anyone else a motor. But for more gentle street use, this isn't really an issue.

I have loaned one of my own track toys to others who normally drive similar stuff- but that had a rotary motor that for practical purposes can't be over revved and had a very soft clutch to help protect the tranny from shock loads- plus a whole lot of other stuff done to make stuff track reliable.

Back