• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

12LT rear brake noise

2whelman

A friends 97 K1200LT has a loose brake disk on the rear. Simply too much clearance on the rivets. There is very little wear on the disk, has not been abused. We have been told by others that this was not an uncommon problem on the 1st year Lt1200. Any advise on eliminating the problem other than replacing entire unit? I believe that this is a "floating disk" by design, but a bike that has the BMW label on it should'nt be heard clanging down the road at low speed. Any recalls that I don't know about? If I remember correctly, the bike only has about 35k on it. Has been doing this only for the last 15k or so.

Don't know if it was a typo or not...but the first year for the K1200LT was '99, not '97. Apart from that...yes, there is/was a service bulletin for the rear rotors and perhaps the pads. Not 100% sure. My dealer was nice enough to change my rotors AND replace the (CRAP) BMW pads for EBCs. I haven't heard a peep out of them since. That was about 15K miles ago.

Back