Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: freezin

freezin

Damn it's cold here. I rode to work today, and left the bike parked outside. Went out at 7pm, I guess the temp was in the high 20's. Hit the starter and the bike went wha,wha,wha, and finally kicked over. I live in a high rise, and there's no ready access to an electrical outlet in the basement. Hope the batt is fine tomorrow after it warms up over night in the garage. Didn't use the heated grips on the way home for fear of draining it further. Man tho, it is fun to ride this time of year, it's the only time I get to spend outside! Thinking about a gerbings setup, but not sure the battery (and the checking acct) can take it.

Anyone else still riding in the northeast?

S

What model bike are you riding? What battery is in it? How many miles is your commute? Is it stop-and-go, or more steady riding? At what speeds?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelh View Post
    Damn it's cold here. I rode to work today, and left the bike parked outside. Went out at 7pm, I guess the temp was in the high 20's. Hit the starter and the bike went wha,wha,wha, and finally kicked over. I live in a high rise, and there's no ready access to an electrical outlet in the basement. Hope the batt is fine tomorrow after it warms up over night in the garage. Didn't use the heated grips on the way home for fear of draining it further. Man tho, it is fun to ride this time of year, it's the only time I get to spend outside! Thinking about a gerbings setup, but not sure the battery (and the checking acct) can take it.

S
    As Paul says, throw us a little more info. If you want to, fill in your profile a little. Use the User CP in the upper left. Yeah I'm in the Northeast and still riding-a little, carefully and selectively....It's a tough time of year (on the charging system) for the bike to bring the battery back up after a couple of starts. If you add the Gerbings and are doing short runs you will need a maintenance charger. Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

dhgeyer
    I'm riding in NH. Heavily insulated riding pants with long johns - not electric. Heavy socks, MC boots. Gerbings jacket liner and gloves, with heated grips on the bike also. Balaclava. Good down to low 20's so far except my feet get a little cold. I just bought a few pairs of those chemical foot warmers, and that will help. I don't want to mess with another harness for electric socks.

2009 R12R - no electrical problems. Can't run electric clothes off the Beemer plug with hexheads - have to install some other solution, but that's another thread.

Just filled in my CP.

I'm in Philly, on a 2009 G650GS. The dealership just put a new Yuasa YB12AL-A in the bike. I've been riding every day... some days its just the 2 miles of center city to work, and some days I go farther (out to manayunk which is about 15 miles of highway.) I've been using the grip heaters all the time, which maybe is a mistake.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I'll just get one of those jump-starters and keep it at work.

Today looks brighter, if not warmer

S

Just filled in my CP.

I'm in Philly, on a 2009 G650GS. The dealership just put a new Yuasa YB12AL-A in the bike. I've been riding every day... some days its just the 2 miles of center city to work, and some days I go farther (out to manayunk which is about 15 miles of highway.) I've been using the grip heaters all the time, which maybe is a mistake.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I'll just get one of those jump-starters and keep it at work.

Today looks brighter, if not warmer

S
    Great on the extra info. 2 miles is really not enough at these temps. There is not much of a battery (by comparison) in the new bikes, BTW I'm not a fan of booster packs for these new bikes . It would be nice to see you get a maintainer wired direct to the battery so you can plug it in once and a while. IIRC you have a 400 watt alternator in that bike and that's at about half throttle so that gives you an idea about the limited recovery 2 miles will give it (remembering you have headlight and signals in use also) . I using a small Battery Tender brand unit-actually have three-to keep batteries up here. Good luck and stay warm, Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Hit the starter and the bike went wha,wha,wha, and finally kicked over. I live in a high rise, and there's no ready access to an electrical outlet in the basement. Hope the batt is fine tomorrow after it warms up over night in the garage.
    Is it difficult to take the battery out of that bike? If I was worried, I'd take it with me inside and plug it in.

BUDDINGGEEZER
    If I had no electrical connection I would investigate a solar battery charger.

Ralph Sims

...I'm in Philly, on a 2009 G650GS. The dealership just put a new Yuasa YB12AL-A in the bike. ...
    If your G650GS is like my X-Country, then you probably won't want to run electrics. You charger puts out 400 watts I believe. My X-Country only did about 260W. But the kicker was testing it (done by the dealer) and finding that running the engine under normal load took all 260W. When the cooling fan switched on, the battery started to discharge. (That explained why I had to call my wife to bring a charger when it wouldn't start one cold day after filling the tank.) In any event, with a relatively small charging system you might want to run a check to see how much extra you actually have before plugging in heated gear.
    Dan

Ya know... I HATE this time of year... ya can never find a pair of light-weight gloves when ya need 'em

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Careful Lew, We'll all stomp our feet and make Califourniea fall into the Pacific.
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

a 2 mile drive at anytime or anytemps is not enough to recharge the battery from even one starting attempt. find a longer way to get to work is one solution, getting a solar-powered charger that can reside on the bike while it sits at work (assuming it sits outside) would be another viable option.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

i am in NYS and i am still riding. it's been cold here lately, in the low 20's each morning but it warms up a bit in the afternoon. i think it got to 32 this afternoon. you definitely need heated gear for any extended ride in this weather. i'll continue to ride through out the winter as long as there is no ice or snow on the road.

Careful Lew, We'll all stomp our feet and make Califourniea fall into the Pacific.
    Well, there is that to consider....

I've only lived out here about thirty years. Before that it was two-wheel life slogging through the ice and snow of southern Indiana and Illinois. Best I could come up with was riding with Hippo-Hands (the original Vetter product) and a snow suit. Don't think the old /5 would pull driving lights, let alone heated seat and grips.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Supposed to be cooler tonite................

Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA