• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2 GS911 Questions

J

Jack D

Can the GS911:
Change idle speed?
Calibrate the temperature sensor?

Thanks

No. It can read and clear fault codes, capture the readings of various sensors in real time, and perform some service operations such as parking the stepper motors and resetting the service needed indicator. The service functions supported vary according to the type of bike you have.

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/bmsk

As i recall it actually does something having to do with the idle speed. Perhaps setting it temporarily as a baseline for synching the throttle bodies. Have a look at the online info on their website to be sure.

As i recall it actually does something having to do with the idle speed. Perhaps setting it temporarily as a baseline for synching the throttle bodies. Have a look at the online info on their website to be sure.

It can lock the steppers on hexheads so you can measure the idle balance, not the idle speed. I'm not aware of any way to adjust the idle speed on a hexhead. Perhaps the dealer can do something with the GT-1. :dunno

Merry Christmas

It does have the ability to reset the idle steppers for idle calibration but it cannot change the idle speed. The steppers can drift because they cannot determine exact position.

This is the same procedure that a dealer can perform on the GT-1 when a customer complains of poor idle.

I have used it with little success but others claim it has improved idle.

It does have the ability to reset the idle steppers for idle calibration but it cannot change the idle speed. The steppers can drift because they cannot determine exact position.

This is the same procedure that a dealer can perform on the GT-1 when a customer complains of poor idle.

I have used it with little success but others claim it has improved idle.
Actually - as best I can tell - the idle steppers are reset on every startup IF you let the bike complete it's startup sequence (where the instruments do their fun thing..)

Next time you go to start the bike, put a finger on the left side stepper motor before you turn the key on. Then turn the key to on - you'll feel the stepper do a full close and then open slightly. Unless I'm quite mistaken - it's exactly the same thing the GS-911 tells it to do for a reset. I suspect you are someone who often allows the bike to complete the startup sequence before hitting the starter button. Since I noticed this - I've tried to also. :clap

FWIW - I spent a lot of time chasing an intermittent bad idle on my '07 R12R. I finally found it - a damaged wire shorting to ground on the O2 sensor harness was intermittently killing the O2 signal from one sensor (#2, which is on the left cylinder.) Found it with the GS-911's sensor tracking function. Without the GS-911 I'd still be scratching my head over it. Great tool!

Not sure what you idle issue is but you can also force the bike to relearn idle by turning the key on (not start), open the throttle fully and allow to snap closed, repeat two more times, start the bike with no throttle.

This solved the poor idle I acquired after several very cold starts requiring lots of throttle...

Talmadge

Understood guys, thanks.

Don, I have noticed the same upon startup but from what I have read and come to understand is that the steppers are told to move so many increments one way or the other but they have no idea where they are in relation to position. Apparently, the reset puts them back on track. And this is exactly what the dealer can do - apparently it's documented in a service bulletin.

Take a look at this from Hexcode - http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/iac

My idle issue is very intermittent and normally is at its worst when the bike is fully warmed maybe after an hour or so ride and can get slighty worse the hotter it gets. Come Spring I plan on tracing the O2 sensor wiring to check its connections based on your findings. Hopefully, it's routing is similar to your R and can easily be exposed - here's hoping.

Understood guys, thanks.

Don, I have noticed the same upon startup but from what I have read and come to understand is that the steppers are told to move so many increments one way or the other but they have no idea where they are in relation to position. Apparently, the reset puts them back on track. And this is exactly what the dealer can do - apparently it's documented in a service bulletin.

Take a look at this from Hexcode - http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/iac
Hmm.. link doesn't work.

Actually Stephen and I have discussed this at some length, and while it's still speculation, I think we both agreed that it's entirely possible (and probable IMHO) that BMW included the recal process as part of the startup sequence - if people let the sequence complete. Since the function is there in software (and triggerable by the GS-911 or dealer's computer,) it would be trivial (and make sense) to have it triggered by the same trigger that does the instrument reset.
My idle issue is very intermittent and normally is at its worst when the bike is fully warmed maybe after an hour or so ride and can get slighty worse the hotter it gets. Come Spring I plan on tracing the O2 sensor wiring to check its connections based on your findings. Hopefully, it's routing is similar to your R and can easily be exposed - here's hoping.
Since your bike is an '07 - it's certainly possible. On the R12R forum that I hang out on, several people did look at theirs after I found the problem with mine, and none of them were routed quite the same way.. (some were kind enough to include photos) but it's possible whoever the hamfisted wire harness installer was the day mine was built also had his hands on your '07.. It is lots easier to check on an R12R since the wiring is hanging out in the open if you lay down next to the bike.. it's pretty well concealed on an RT.

Good luck!

Not sure what you idle issue is but you can also force the bike to relearn idle by turning the key on (not start), open the throttle fully and allow to snap closed, repeat two more times, start the bike with no throttle.

This solved the poor idle I acquired after several very cold starts requiring lots of throttle...

Talmadge

On the hexhead - it only requires turning the throttle fully open with the key on for the ECU to learn the throttle position. The oilhead did require the three-time sequence, after resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery.

Yeah, it looks like the entire site is unavailable at the moment.

Don, have you tried using the reset on the GS-911? Seems it takes a moment to go through as you can hear the steppers being moved around. Not sure it's quite that extensive on the startup routine - or if it even needs to be.

Hexcode.co.za Down?

Is this common? I got a new GS-911 for Christmas :) and have been trying to access the site since receiving my device with no luck for days. I was beginning to think they were out of business. Without access one cannot even begin doing setup or downloading software.:banghead:

Is this common? I got a new GS-911 for Christmas :) and have been trying to access the site since receiving my device with no luck for days. I was beginning to think they were out of business. Without access one cannot even begin doing setup or downloading software.:banghead:

They are on vacation. This was posted to the GS-911 mailing list:

Wishing you all a happy and Merry Christmas!

We are closed for our annual summer break. Our office will reopen on 10 January - until that time email support will be intermittent, at best.

Best wishes
The HEX Team

I suspect no one is home to check on any web problems.

Don, have you tried using the reset on the GS-911? Seems it takes a moment to go through as you can hear the steppers being moved around. Not sure it's quite that extensive on the startup routine - or if it even needs to be.

Yes - it sounds the same, but IIRC, the GS-911 reset does it twice.

Back