• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where are all the riders?

mneblett

I did my usual commute today to/from Northern Virginia/downtown DC on my FYKRT. Temps upper 20's/low 30's -- didn't even plug in the heated jacket under my 'stich.

Normally I see at least a few bikes out and about, but today I saw *none* on the way in, and only *one* on the way home (another beemer :D (nekkid R1150R)).

What's up with that?!? I guess we'll have to rename the area Northern Wimpland! :rofl

Just be careful on those cold tires, as I recently found out on my 94 R1100RS. Treat cold weather riding, even on dry clean pavement, with much the same respect as rain riding. I asked too much of my front tire, too soon, in 35 degree dry weather and low sided. Allow at LEAST ten miles or more before you can expect the tires to be up to a temperature level that provides nominal grip. I'm fine but I have some cosmetic repairs to do this winter. That ol' 94 RS is a tough bike, its fine, I picked it up and rode it home.

I have been cold weather riding for almost all of my 38+ years of riding, and this was the first time I had an issue due to cold tires. An eye opener for sure. Up here in Wisconsin I usually ride from March 1st to December 1st. Its really white up here now so the RS is sleeping just fine in the garage.

No worries about dry, clean pavement for me. I rode from Santa Cruz (SF Bay Area) down to my folks' place in LA yesterday, and it rained most of the way. I took US-101 and a couple smaller roads rather than get on I-5. It wasn't bad, but I only saw one other bike in 6 hours of riding, a newer GS model.

It's pouring here right now, but I've got to go out and visit some friends soon. That's what good gear is about.

No worries about dry, clean pavement for me. I rode from Santa Cruz (SF Bay Area) down to my folks' place in LA yesterday, and it rained most of the way. I took US-101 and a couple smaller roads rather than get on I-5. It wasn't bad, but I only saw one other bike in 6 hours of riding, a newer GS model.

It's pouring here right now, but I've got to go out and visit some friends soon. That's what good gear is about.

When it rains "up to 2 inches an hour" and widespread flooding is predicted lots of folks won't ride. Now I suspect that was a different part of California but ....

My son Brad took a spin on his motorcycle from Fort Bragg (NC) to the sand at Myrtle Beach, SC Saturday - not another bike in sight roundtrip.

But then again, it was 37 degrees in Myrtle Beach and he was sipping hot chocolate when he phoned! :banghead

When it rains "up to 2 inches an hour" and widespread flooding is predicted lots of folks won't ride. Now I suspect that was a different part of California but ....

It rained pretty good here in The Valley (the San Fernando Valley, north of the main LA Basin) last night, but it has slowed down to a steady, but not hard, rain now. I know better than to go through flooded intersections, so I will detour to avoid them. The big problem here is that it doesn't rain at all for 10 months, and then there's a frog-strangler. The drains fill up with trash in the dry season and then form a plug under the pressure from the water.

I've seen a few, mostly HD's or beemers and one wing, bout the same as usual for this time of year in this area. Fewer commuters overall seeing as how it close to the holiday and more people i know at work are off this year for extended days due to feeling a bit (I say "bit") more confident in having a job to return to than last year!

RM

Back