• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMWNA PreSale Order Program Open

A loss? If you don't buy the bike and they sell it to someone else, how have they lost?

In this case, it's hard to imagine a situation in which a loss would arise -- maybe if you farklized the bike in a strange way or had them paint it a color that would make it hard to sell to someone without a discount.

In the bigger picture, it's Econ 101 (over simplified): With far more demand than supply of goods, a lost sale would cause no harm -- they will have a ready buyer for every machine they can get. On the other hand, a real loss can occur where there is a slow selling model (i.e., more goods than buyers) -- someone backing out of a contract for such a sale would be a lost profit to the dealer (something for which a deposit can help compensate).

I did not get a final answer to that question at the Orlando dealer....they didn't know if it was refundable or not - and if they don't know, who does? Hence my question.
They didn't know?? Horse-hocky.

From what I have gathered from various sources, BMW only required the dealers provide proof they had actual buyers, by:

-- sending in a buyer-signed form, and
-- sending in a photocopy of the buyer's driver's license.

My understanding is that BMWNA did not also demand that the deposit money be forwarded to NA -- or otherwise provide guidance as to whether the deposits should be refundable (and if I were a dealer principal, I would howl if they did -- that would be infringing on the dealer-customer relationship, a *very* touchy area for all vehicle dealers, as well as State Corporation Commissions). Moreover, BMWNA only sells bikes to dealers, and they go to great pains to *not* have a direct contractual vehicle sale link with the customer (for litigation-related and a variety of other reasons). You can expect that the last thing they would want is to get involved in the dealer-customer contract drafting process (refundable/non-refundable being just another term to be negotiated in the dealer/customer contract).

In fact, BMWNA said in their pre-order program announcment that all the following "should be discussed in your negotiations with the dealer": "determine your final price, agree in advance on the trade-in value of your current motorcycle, holding deposite, financing options/preapprovals and so forth."

Bottom line, you're being fed a line -- that dealer can choose to do business on a refundable or non-refundable basis as he/she sees fit. The fact that a straight answer is not being produced would be setting off all kinds of alarm bells in my head.

The fact that a straight answer is not being produced would be setting off all kinds of alarm bells in my head.

Yes. :uhoh When I signed up with my dealer (Denver), they assured me it was refundable. They keep the money; they don't send it to BMW.

- Kate

Yes. :uhoh When I signed up with my dealer (Denver), they assured me it was refundable. They keep the money; they don't send it to BMW.

- Kate
Why the :uhoh? The alarm bells would be for a dealer that *wasn't* willing to plainly state their deposit refund policy -- yours did. You should be golden. :thumb

I have two issues that remained unresolved....three actually if you count the fact that they couldn't give me a read on the value of my trade. That I understand, because I'm going to ride it until the new bike arrives, so reserviing thre right to make that call at the time of the deal is okay with me, as long as I get a reasonable "ballpark" idea now.

First issue is they either would not or could not give me a final price. I think that is the first item in the list of things to get resolved. Nothing. Not even a vague guess as to what it might be. All I got was a very general it'll be what it is. Second issue, is the deposit refundable. Now this could have been the Salesperson, because I found that answer totally unacceptable and stated so. Didn't matter to them. Like you, it raised major alarms. I have access to the dealer in Daytona, although I'm told it's the same Owner....so who knows. At this point, I'll take it as a sign I should wait a bit. Thank for the info...ride safe everyone. :usa

I have two issues that remained unresolved....three actually if you count the fact that they couldn't give me a read on the value of my trade. That I understand, because I'm going to ride it until the new bike arrives, so reserviing thre right to make that call at the time of the deal is okay with me, as long as I get a reasonable "ballpark" idea now.

First issue is they either would not or could not give me a final price. I think that is the first item in the list of things to get resolved. Nothing. Not even a vague guess as to what it might be. All I got was a very general it'll be what it is. Second issue, is the deposit refundable. Now this could have been the Salesperson, because I found that answer totally unacceptable and stated so. Didn't matter to them. Like you, it raised major alarms. I have access to the dealer in Daytona, although I'm told it's the same Owner....so who knows. At this point, I'll take it as a sign I should wait a bit. Thank for the info...ride safe everyone. :usa
Good instincts on the deposit.

On the price, to be fair, even today there are only the *roughest* of only *ballpark* numbers leaking out of the mothership -- it appears that the dealers truely are nearly as much in the dark as the rest of us -- frankly, I don't believe even BMWNA knows what the MSRP will be yet. They are likely investing a *huge* amount of work in trying to get the numbers narrowed down in the next couple of months (just imagine the factors they have to consider! exchange rate, BMWAG's (likely also still not finalized) pricing to NA, exchange rate projections, anticipated demand vs. pricing to be competitive with other tourers in the market, projections of the progress of the U.S. recovery, etc., etc. -- glad I'm not responsible for this job ...).

Surely there's no binding contract when a dealer doesn't yet know a selling price. What can the buyer and the seller even agree to?

The way my dealer put it, if I'm remotely interested in the K1600's then sign the form and leave a refundable deposit. About all I've bought is the option to buy the bike only if all the details (such as price) eventually fall into place in an acceptable manner. If they don't, then I take back my deposit and the dealer sells the bike to the next guy in line. And I've lost my place in line until the supply catches up with demand. Meanwhile I think I get a free T-shirt. And the dealer gets a K1600GT to sell, maybe to me, that he otherwise wouldn't get.

Surely there's no binding contract when a dealer doesn't yet know a selling price. What can the buyer and the seller even agree to?

[[snippage]] About all I've bought is the option to buy the bike only if all the details (such as price) eventually fall into place in an acceptable manner. ...
Precisely -- you're purchasing an option (I thought about mentioning that in my previous posts, but figured I'd get branded as being too lawyerish :D ).

Whether your dealer is willing to refund some or all of your money if you decline to exercise the option is a matter of the terms of the bargain struck with him/her. Of course, I'm assuming that everyone knew to ask about this term/condition of the contract before they handed over the deposit money, right? :whistle :bolt

My dealer did not require a deposit

I filled out the forms, faxed them in, my dealer received notice of receipt via email from BMW, I have not received a confirmation call from BMW yet, so I wait. No deposit required, yet...

I placed an order also on Jan 31. They took a $500 deposit copy my DL and had me fill out a BMW form. They told me BMW would contact me to confirm (nothing so far). The dealer said they would refund my deposit. Order the Premium Package Upgrade. Yes I will be a Beta tester. Did two things I thought I would never do. Buy new. Buy first year model .

Furman,

The 2011 K1600GTL in Royal Blue Metallic will include the following:

Standard Package*

- Bluetooth

- Audio system with Sirius and GPS prep

- Xenon headlights

- Radio software

- Heated seats

- Heated Grips

- Cruise Control

- Multi-function display

- Anti-Lock Brakes

- Luggage Rack

- LED turn signals

- Top case in body color

- Comfort windscreen/footrests

- Chrome body kit

This spec. will run $23,200.00 plus $495.00 freight

Premium Package Upgrade*

- Includes all above equipment PLUS:

- Adaptive headlight

- Dynamic traction Control

- Tire Pressure Monitor system

- LED fog lights

- Electronic Suspension Adjustment

- Central Locking System

- Alarm

This spec. will run $25,845.00 plus $495.00 freight

So from here, we would need to discuss which Package interests you for the order and work up an accurate total out the door to expect will Pa. tax and tags. We are recommending that once folks know they are committing, to begin attempting to sell their current machine is looking to let it go. We may be able to accommodate with a consignment come Spring time, but there is no guarantee of an on time sale by the arrival of the special order K bike. It is recommended that it be sold prior to itÔÇÖs arrival in May or June as we are in no way able to control what the trade in may or may not be up until then, and with the current used market- our end will be extremely conservative.

I placed a preorder (Jan 31)at Montgomerville Cycle Center here in Pa. Just got off the phone with the owner, he was at the BMW motorcycle meeting in Las Vegas last week. He told me not to expect delivery intill late summer. More orders where placed then expected. Still have my RS:D Was hoping to have K1600GTL to take to the BMW Rally, doesn't look like its going to happen now.:cry Maybe they will have all the recalls fixed by then.

2011 BMW K1600 GT Pricing!

I received a call today from my dealer Cross Country BMW in NJ and was told that the GT would be price at $24,595.00. They were not sure if the destination charge of $499.00 would be included or waved. They also mentioned that the GT model would come "GPS ready", meaning you will still have to purchase the Garmin GPS unit (approx $660) separately. The top cast is also an additional cost of about $900.00. I forgot to mentioned you still have to pay the appropriate state sales taxes.:blush

The finally-official prices I've received are:

K 1600 GTL

Base price $23,200 + freight = $23,695

Premium package price $25,845 + freight = $26,340

K 1600 GT

Base price $20,900 + freight = $21,395

Standard package $23,045 + freight = $23,540

Premium package $24,540 + freight = $25,035

The finally-official prices I've received are:

K 1600 GTL

Base price $23,200 + freight = $23,695

Premium package price $25,845 + freight = $26,340

K 1600 GT

Base price $20,900 + freight = $21,395

Standard package $23,045 + freight = $23,540

Premium package $24,540 + freight = $25,035

*With the premium package on the GTL model is the Garmin GPS included, because on the GT is not included. The fog-lights and Top-case truck do not come with GT, thats an additional cost.

*With the premium package on the GTL model is the Garmin GPS included, because on the GT is not included. The fog-lights and Top-case truck do not come with GT, thats an additional cost.
The Nav IV GPS does not come with any of the bikes -- it is an MSRP $899 extra.

Well after a lot of thought I got in on the last day of the pre-orders today.

I have been considering a bike for more of a touring ride and protection than my '06 GS offers, but I just couldn't bring myself to a GTL.

A GT in red will be coming my way just about in time for my anticipated retirement. Told mid to late summer for delivery, but I really don't care. Being one of the last to pre-order puts me way at the end of the line.

After buying this, I'll probably have to keep on working and not have enough time to ride!

Maybe not.....

BTW - I'll be keeping the GS for more fun rides in the National forests around here.

Well after a lot of thought I got in on the last day of the pre-orders today.

I have been considering a bike for more of a touring ride and protection than my '06 GS offers, but I just couldn't bring myself to a GTL.

A GT in red will be coming my way just about in time for my anticipated retirement. Told mid to late summer for delivery, but I really don't care. Being one of the last to pre-order puts me way at the end of the line.

After buying this, I'll probably have to keep on working and not have enough time to ride!

Maybe not.....

BTW - I'll be keeping the GS for more fun rides in the National forests around here.

Congratulations! Great retirement present. I bought myself my first new vehicle when I retired. I bought myself a loaded F-150. Like my truck, your bike will be the last one you will NEED but necessarily the last one you will have.

ChooperGuy.. Congrats..

Won't you be the cats meow!? GS and new K1600Gt....

(NO, my face is not green with envy-sarcasm :) )

ENJOY!!!

K1600 GT Sweepstakes?

So, when are we going to see a K1600 GT sweepstakes drawing? Bet that will generate some serious interest!! How about a K1600 as a grand prize at the BMW MOA International Rally?

Back