• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMWNA PreSale Order Program Open

mneblett

BMWNA has sent to the dealers a K16GT/K16GTL pre-order program -- check your dealer or www.thefutureoftouring.com for details.

Basically, if you want one of the first K16's, and you're willing to accept fully-loaded bike, you can get in line. The only real choices are GT/GTL and color. No pricing yet (except the destination charge is $495). BMW promises some "behind the scenes" updates and a t-shirt for participating in the pre-order program.

Insert standard "I have no interest" disclaimer [HERE].

Yeah, put me on the hook for an unknown amount of $$$$$$, not. I know you're really not obligated but still.

I like the bike but c'mon - they really seem full of themselves with this one.

This type of program exists for only 2 reasons
1) Get a better idea of interest to gauge production (though at this stage supplier contracts for all components will exist with at least some minimums so the bits prices can be set)
2) See how far pricing can be pushed. Obviously they are stalling to get some good reviews and to hedge any currency issues before setting pricing which looks pretty silly this late in the game. Yamaha announced the Tenere list price a long time ago and its not getting here any sooner.

I'm not expecting to see a lot of these on the road- like the wing or the LT, this is a special purpose bike. Were it lighter or sportier, it might get more spillover.

Count me out

Wow, a free T-shirt!! You can bet I will not line up for laying down a down payment without knowing the price or preformance, weight, and some comparisons with other bikes like BMW's own LT and GT or even the RT.

Despite the possible weight issues, reliability issues etc etc, I want this bike. Got some lottery tickets for Christmas, need to turn in the small winners and try again. Either they will be all gone *(highly likely) or I will be ordering one. Otherwise, it will be a few years.

Come on lottery

Rod

"show me the money"...where have I heard that before ?:stick
Hard to expect anyone to jump up and down without knowledge of the $$$ involved !:deal

That said the GT does look like a posible replacement for my RT...:heart

"show me the money"...where have I heard that before ?:stick
Hard to expect anyone to jump up and down without knowledge of the $$$ involved !:deal

That said the GT does look like a posible replacement for my RT...:heart

You guys are under estimating the demand for this bike. The two dealers that I deal with in my area have sold out their allotment before the price was announced. Some GT's still available, but the first batch of GTL's are sold out.

The price in Canada has been set at CAD$24,100 for the GT and $27,225 for the GTL.

GTL options: Safety package: Tire pressure monitors, adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control, $100

Package 1: ESA II, alarm, central locking panniers, LED aux. driving lights, ground lighting. $1850.

Iron Horse here in Tucson says $28,000-30,000. Do you really want to pay that much for a motorcycle?

A man's got to know his own limitations! (Clint Eastwood--Dirty Harry)

Jack

Iron Horse here in Tucson says $28,000-30,000. Do you really want to pay that much for a motorcycle?

Jack

Yeah! There are always those who are willing to pay a premium for being among the first ones to be seen! It used to happen all the time with cars.
The last crazy thing I personally remember was the 1990 Corvette ZR-1. Some ( I refrain from using adjectives) people paid up to $100,000.- for a car that had a MSRP of $60,500:doh I know of one guy who waited until April 1990 to get his and he paid $6,000.- under sticker. The dealer he got his from couldn't sell the 3rd and last car from his allocation and traded it to another dealer in Wisconsin.:stick

Canadian Currency conversion

If $27,225 CAD is accurate for a GTL (Base?) That converts to $26,761 US at todays exchange rates. Add $1,385 for the premium package and you have around $28,100 plus shipping. Very competitive with a 2010 Gold Wing with promised substantial performance and technology advances! This would not be out of line with pricing strategy to capture market share of the luxury tourer segment and in fact, closely resembles BMW's statement in the pre-sales program announcement regarding pricing to be announced.

There was NO financial commitment at my dealer to participate in the pre-sales program. If I don't want to pay the eventual price, maybe I can sell my order position! (Just kidding)

well, i already told the kids,

"when i die, you ain't gettin' nothin!"
i want them to be SAD at the funeral.
:violin

Pre-Ordered

Preordered a 1600GT at BMW Omaha. Around $25k, fully loaded. Should be there in May 2011. Oh the wait...

I pre-ordered a GT in Denver. The dealer had no firm price yet but said it would be "pushing 24K", which is about what I expected. With tax and license and delivery, that comes out close to $26K. That's about the limit of what I'm willing to pay. If it comes in much more than that, I'll just put a lot more smiles on my RT.

BUT I get a free T-shirt. :dance (c'mon, man - a t-shirt? :rolleyes)

- Kate

Last edited:
Just curious....supposing the exchange rate reverses and the pricing goes up quite a bit from wha't been rumored here...what happens to your deposit? Is it fully refundable or non-refundable? I assume all they folks placing orders know the answer and I'd be curious to hear it.

Just curious....supposing the exchange rate reverses and the pricing goes up quite a bit from wha't been rumored here...what happens to your deposit? Is it fully refundable or non-refundable? I assume all they folks placing orders know the answer and I'd be curious to hear it.
That's strictly a matter between you and your dealer -- my deposit is refundable; other dealers don't have the same policy. It's the dealer's protection from loss if you back out of a deal -- if there's no loss, there's not much reason to keep a deposit, but some dealers don't go with this logic (e.g., to deter frequent mind changes). Negotiate the point if it is of concern to you.

A loss? If you don't buy the bike and they sell it to someone else, how have they lost? I did not get a final answer to that question at the Orlando dealer....they didn't know if it was refundable or not - and if they don't know, who does? Hence my question.

Back