• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

What are you reading?

George C. Marshall: Organizer of Victory, 1943-1945. By Forrest Pogue. Should be on the field grade and/or the senior leaders reading list as published by the Chief of Staff. It's a textbook on leadership.

I'm glued to Duma Key by Stephen King.

Faithful fan of his story telling and character development, this is the first of his I've loved in a long time.

Voni
sMiling

The Last Stand , by Nathaniel Philbrick. Its the story of Custer, Sitting Bull, and the battle of the Little Bighorn. Really enjoying it too.

Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris, the last of his trilogy on TR. the first two were The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and Theodore Rex.

Really well done books. Makes you appreciate what a unique person TR was. He would never get anywhere today.

The world as it is : Dispatches on the myth of human progress by Chris Hedges. Not an easy book to read because of content. A very political point of view. An eye opener.

Ghost Rider: Travels on the healing road by Neil Peart (drummer for 'Rush') a moving Novel that traces Niel's travels around The Americas on his hex head after the untimely death of both his wife and daughter.

I'm in the middle of: Lucille & the XXX Road, by Jim Oliver. He & I graduated from Topeka H.S.,class of 61. While we have lived far apart most of our lives , we both have been riders for a long time. Our 50th reunion gave us a chance to talk a lot and he sent me a copy of his book about his trip across Russia on his 1150GS-Lucille. He & a buddy went un-assisted across all of Siberia(unlike the two movie guys they had no nannies) and the rest of Russia in 2004. While not the best bike travel book I've read, I appreciate Jim's candor about himself & it makes for a good short, but interesting read & a chance to dream about a bike trip of your own .

Fields of Peace

Its a portrait of the Pennsylvania Germans, their history, customs and meeting challenges being Amish or Mennonite.

Throw Them All Out by Peter Schweizer. Schweizer is a research fellow at Stanford U. and became interested in find out if an elected official's roles as members of committees which write laws put them into a position to benefit form this knowledge. The results were intresting.

From the review,

"This book is a manual on ways to give money legally to elected officials. The Pay-to-Play regime and the flow of insider information can be used by even the most novice traders using an online brokerage account. One big story is how Congressman Spensor Bachus used a private meeting with Fed Chair Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Paulson. Bachus was in the role of Ranking Member on the House Financial Services Committee. He used the dire information presented to him in this meeting to bet heavily that the market would go down, using leveraged trades. Bachus, working with Bernanke and Paulson from July 2008 to November 2008, scalped $50K out of the falling market. The book has lots of war stories like that."

The most freightening thing is that since these are the people who make the laws, all of this is completely legal.

One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey

by Sam Keith. The story of Dick Proenneke's cabin buiding adventure was taken from his journal notes, was also the basis for the documentary "Alone in the Wilderness," seen on PBS and available on DVD and video.

Just started a Neil Peart book Travelling Music, very good so far and I have read 3 other books by him so I'm sure it will be a top 10.

Attachments

• imagesCA16V9LK.jpg
    imagesCA16V9LK.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 51
Studying to become a USGA golf rules official. Currently reading the Decisions On the Rules of Golf, 2012-2013. 599 pages of absolutely riveting dialog, designed for the insomniac. Highly recommended for the bedside.

Just finished the Hunger Games trilogy; I hope the movie isn't as gory. Before that, Auroa to Ariel - The Motorcycling Life of J. Graham Oates. - adventure touring in the good old days.

Back