• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

What are you reading?

Again started reading this well liked book by Melissa Holbrook Pierson. I've met her several times, as she's a personal friend of one of my best motorcycling friends.

I was glad to hear that, last summer, Melissa got back to riding on her new-to-her BMW R1150R.

Word has it, she has a new book about motorcycling coming out this fall, and she may be able to do a seminar at the Bloomsburg rally.

Melissa is a truly wonderful writer, and is, most of all, true to herself. She has an insight, backed by careful consideration, that is singular to her. If you agree with her viewpoint, so be it. If not, so be it.

:brow

I really enjoyed that book too; and wrote to tell her so when I saw her name listed on a group on Facebook that I had joined. She sent me a nice reply. Can't ask for more than that!

facinating read

"Life" by Keith Richards. Why this guy is still alive is beyond me. The song writing part was the best.

Mark Twain irreverance - a story for our times

Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War by Joe Bageants

Gone For Soldiers by Jeff Shaara. Good read about the Mexican War 1846-1848. Books centers on the exploits of Winfield Scott and Robert E. Lee. Very well writen about a much overlooked part of the history of the USA, Texas and Mexico in the time before the American Civil War.

Just reread The Cuckoo's Egg, Clifford Stoll...within 48 hours...same as the first time. It's that kind of book. A true story of computer infiltration and hacking before either was heard of and neither was illegal.

Highly recommended

by me! The collected works of Edna St. Vincent Millay- Her opening poem, Renascence is the most beautiful thing I've ever read.

If one likes adventure, take a look at National Geographic's list of "Top 100 adventure books"

Chuck

lastsix

Sounds like it could be a long wait for that one. Luckily they are making the books into a series that starts next month. HBO I believe.

Release date has been announced as July 12. Sadly, I'll be on the road when it arrives on my doorstep. Happily, I'll have at least 1 thing to look forward to after my 2 month jaunt on the GS :)

Currently re-reading Motorcycle Camping Made Easy because... well... just because.

last reads. Have a pattern going.

Insomnia: Stephen King. I forced myself to finish this one. It went on and on and on and on.....

Amsterdam: Ian McEwan: Curiously dark humor read

The Shining: Stephen King. Attempted years ago and couldn't get into it. This time over I really dug. Watched the movie afterwards and I may stop doing that. It's a let down. I've seen it a number of times but after 800 pages of a 2 hours movie, it's like Nicholson couldn't wait to kill his family.

The Innocent: Ian mcEwan. Good book. reminded me of the Spy Who Came In from the Cold which was a great book.

The Stand: Stephen King. Good book till the ending. I hate to say it. Kings a humanist and goodness always seems to prevail in his stories. I find a majority of of his books totally reference Tolkien.

Having just finished two very tough Master's Degree courses with Penn State last week, I thought I was pretty much 'read out'. Besides, I really wanted to get out on Hilda and Heidi. But after the winter respite, I knew I needed to brush up on my riding skills. Out came David Hough, Keith Code, Jerry Palladino, and Lee Parks. Also read a great series on Riding Skills at Sport Rider magazine.

The Corrections: Jonathan Franzen

This book is so good I decided to read it again. Franzen does such a great job with his characters you could swear the book was written about your family at times.

David Brooks "The Social Animal"

Brooks takes brain physiology, philosophy, psychology and sociology out of the arcane, rarefied atmosphere of academia - to the reader's great benefit.

John Wilkes Booth

"My Thoughts Be Bloody" by Nina Titone: Bio about John Wilkes Booth and his brother Edwin, their truly bizarre-o family, and what lead to the assassination.

Reads like a novel.

First Time. . .

on this thread, and VERY glad to find it. Next to throwing a leg over the machine, reading is my #1 passion.

Check this out, esp. K-Kid, who by now has taken his Copper Canyon trip?

God's Middle Finger by Richard Grant, subtitled, "Into the Lawless Heart of the Sierra Madre". Non-fiction, and this guy can flat-ass write. By turns hilarious and terrifying, the author is an "americanized" Brit, equipped with a large set of stones. He penetrates the Sierra Madre Occidental to record the madness that IS the War on Drugs. 2005 copyright, but you can easily see that this will not go well. . . Rather tragic for those of us who have (in the past) traveled these same roads through these amazing mountains.

I guess the State Dept. still doesn't outright call Mexico a "failed state" -- but you can draw your own conclusions about a country where the Rule of Law is (now) based on the AK-47.

MUST READING for any of you GS guys who might want to take that interesting dirt road into the mountains. . .

Regards,

Walking Eagle

Back