Thread: New Member from Des Moines Iowa

New Member from Des Moines Iowa

I just joined. I bought a new 2009 R1200RT a month ago after owning various Kawasaki's for the last 23+ years. We'll see how it goes.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Welcome! I am sure you will enjoy your new bike. Keep us posted on "how it goes".
    Ken
    2004 R1150RT/2013 F800R
    MOA 144287
    IBA 33680

I have 425 miles on it and I wish this cold would break for a few days so I could take it to Gina's in Iowa City for it's first service. I hate winter.
    My Motorrad

Welcome...Yes winter sucks...enjoy the RT, nice bike.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ponch1 View Post
    I have 425 miles on it and I wish this cold would break for a few days so I could take it to Gina's in Iowa City for it's first service. I hate winter.
    Welcome to the site.
    We just bought two K1300Ss from Gina's, but have not picked them up.

Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I bought mine from Van Wall in Perry. Unfortunately, I have to ride to Gina's for the service, so the roads have to get a bit more clear. I am hoping for some relatively good weather in the next few weeks. If the road was clear, even if it was 30-40˚, that would be fine.

I see you are from Creston. I used to work in Afton. I live in Waukee. Good luck with the new bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Welcome to the site.
    We just bought two K1300Ss from Gina's, but have not picked them up.

My Motorrad

I bought mine from Van Wall in Perry. Unfortunately, I have to ride to Gina's for the service, .
    Did they lose another BMW Tech.?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Did they lose another BMW Tech.?
    Don't know. Nice people, but behind on getting everyone certified. I have heard good things about Gina's and when I talked to Julius, he put my VIN in and said there were two recalls. I would have thought Van WAll would have taken care of that.
    My Motorrad

Don't know. Nice people, but behind on getting everyone certified.
    Unless they can hire some guys with experience, it's going to take time to get the shop up to speed.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Unless they can hire some guys with experience, it's going to take time to get the shop up to speed.
    Yeah, it would help. But finding experienced BMW Motorcycle tech in Iowa is like trying to find hen's teeth. Like I said, good folks. When I haggled, I got the 49L topcase thrown in. Thisg is, someone took the tumbler out and they couldn't get it back in by the time I picked it up. I found an article on this site or some other outlining how to do it and sent it to Matt. You should have see it though when I went to pick up the bike. THe topcase was in pieces...That said, I think I could do it, learn it (was an auto mechanic at one time and do my own car repairs and motorcycle service), but I have no real paid experience with bike repair. What I am trying to say is, may be getting someone who is motivated would work out fine. It's not that I need a job (I am a network administrator), but I like hands on stuff and honestly, the fabric covered box at the clown breeding facility is getting old.

I wish I could help.
    My Motorrad

Yeah, it would help. But finding experienced BMW Motorcycle tech in Iowa is like trying to find hen's teeth. Like I said, good folks. When I haggled, I got the 49L topcase thrown in. Thisg is, someone took the tumbler out and they couldn't get it back in by the time I picked it up. I found an article on this site or some other outlining how to do it and sent it to Matt. You should have see it though when I went to pick up the bike. THe topcase was in pieces...That said, I think I could do it, learn it (was an auto mechanic at one time and do my own car repairs and motorcycle service), but I have no real paid experience with bike repair. What I am trying to say is, may be getting someone who is motivated would work out fine. It's not that I need a job (I am a network administrator), but I like hands on stuff and honestly, the fabric covered box at the clown breeding facility is getting old.

I wish I could help.
    I see that my response here got a response from Van Wall. I wasn't looking for one, but I did get one from Tony Tice, their service manager:

"Regardless, I am sorry for any unsettled feelings you may have about Van Wall. In an effort to earn your trust, I’d like to extend you an offer. I would be willing to pick your bike up at your home in an enclosed trailer and complete your first service. I am willing to cover the cost of this pickup and delivery for free. There are two outstanding recalls we should complete while it is in as well. I’m confident that given the chance, we will prove that we can be the BMW servicing dealer you expect."

That is very nice of them and I will continue to have a conversation with them. I certainly didn't mean to excoriate them, but rather just state some facts. It also was in response to a comment. That said, I appreciate the vigilance from Van Wall as it shows they care.
    My Motorrad

Just wanted to follow up. Tony, the service manager from Van Wall offered to pick up the bike and return it for free for my first service, during which they would take care of the recalls. He picked the bike up this morning and will return it tomorrow. I have to say I was embarrassed that the bike was somewhat filthy having ridden it last week when the roads were messy from salt and sand. That said, Tony was great and it was very nice to offer that service, I am impressed. I believed they took what I said seriously and have stepped up to the plate. You can't ask anything more. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the bike back, but I don't expect any issues.
    My Motorrad

Got the bike back Friday. Everything looked good and they even washed it. Can't wait to get out and ride though. I really want to put some mileage on the bike.
    My Motorrad

Just wanted to follow up. Tony, the service manager from Van Wall offered to pick up the bike and return it for free for my first service, during which they would take care of the recalls. He picked the bike up this morning and will return it tomorrow. I have to say I was embarrassed that the bike was somewhat filthy having ridden it last week when the roads were messy from salt and sand. That said, Tony was great and it was very nice to offer that service, I am impressed. I believed they took what I said seriously and have stepped up to the plate. You can't ask anything more. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the bike back, but I don't expect any issues.
    That's good news. It's a good sign they're willing to put out the extra effort to keep you happy.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878