• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Riding CO and UT

D

dramer

I would really enjoy some help here!!!!

My good friend and I take a big trip every two years. This year we are riding from Topeka, KS to the Grand Canyon and back. We want to hit some great dirt roads in Utah on the way.

I am wondering if any of you have roads to suggest. We have moderate experience off road. We dont want to over step our bounds but dont mind pushing the limits.

I have a 1150GS and my friend has 1000 vstrom.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

The Moke Dugway (sic) around the four corners and another dirt road that goes from Chama ,NM to Bayfield Co . Good Luck .

Kibler pass between Crested Butte and Paonia CO (12)...Delta to Nucla CO crossing the Uncompahgre Plateau and on into UT.

BURR Trail 2nd;

I second the BURR Trail idea. I did it on myGSA1200 two years ago solo, no other biker friends along. By myself out there was a wierd feeling and a good experience, but I looked around a few times wondering IF anybody would ever find me if I had trouble:). No troubles. From Capitol Reef to Bullfrog on Lake Powell and a good camp is there at the lake20$, no showers, but a big lake,gas and very few stores. Take(pack it) what you need to eat/drink! Took the ferry across the lake at Bullfrog. Really good time on the BurrTrail. Its one lonely ride, few folks out there. HWY12 Utah is a paved, biker dream as well. The part between Capitoil Reef and Bryce NPs is especially worth the ride to 9000'. Hwy89 South to Kibab and on to Jacob Lake and the NRim of the G.Canyon is a great ride and few see the NRim. Its prettier and more foresty than its southern counterpart. See both sides of the canyon, however. "Cameron" Trading Post( A MUST STOP) is at the Eastern side of the GCanyon and a trading post with a great Navajo Eatery in the back. Have a Navajo Taco for sure. I ride FAR to eat these:). The Lodge has REALLY nice rooms for around 100 bucks for two at Cameron. Camping nearby too,unknown facilities. The Hopi Indian Res. is very interesting too and their Silver Art is the best to be had on the planet. Maybe you can ride it back towards CO.. Just too much fun:) around the SW. Happy Trails to ya. Randy

Another CO Pass:)

ON Dirt and not too hard for a GS/GSA. "Ophir Pass", from Silverton to Teluride area is a really nice dirt byway. The Colorado ALPS, this area. I did it two up on my R1100GS years ago and figure the pass is still available and an easy/moderate solo adventurer's choice. The Utah Burr Trail I mentioned, YOU may consider riding it from South to North for your direction from Kansas and the Ophir Pass thing in there. Exit Colorado down by Cortez for the Lake Powell connection to the BURR Trail at Bullfrog, Utah. This will take you North to Capitol Reef and the famed Hwy12 to Bryce canyon and then South89 to the GCanyon. Just some routing tips:). Don't forget a great lunch at the Navajo Cameron Trading Post, a favorite of mine,I never miss:). Randy

Engineer Pass

1126386740_AWDN6-XL.jpg

take this one on your way back home to Kansas.

it goes east from Silverton and ends in Lake City.

this was doable on an oilhead with no luggage... i have ridden this once on the airhead with luggage.

you need to be good with the clutch and throttle, as there are some fairly steep sections.

i wouldn't try this in the rain, unless on a real dirt bike with real tires.

Cinnamon Pass is also an option on this route, more difficult than Engineer.

Ian

Southern Utah - Rt 400 South from Cannonville

Goes south through Cottonwood Canyon toward Page Arizona. I took this road back in the 1990's on a K75 (not recommended) looking for Grovsenor's Arch. On a GS it would be fine. make sure you have a fll tank of gas before you leave Cannonville. Beautiful scenery and you won't likely see anyone else on the road. I hope to get back there some day.

Everyone likes the big name passes.
Engineer Pass has some steep loose rocky sections. I might suggest Cinnamon as an easier alternate.
Ophir Pass seems to be easier from East to West. The loose steep section on the Ophir(east) side will have your clutch burning.
Another good alternate is accross the Uncompaghre Plateau.(my spelling is probably all f'ed up). Goes from Delta, Montrose or Ridgway on the east to Naturita or Gateway on the west. Old highway 90 is how it appears in the DeLorme atlas. Remote Colorado at its best. Easy dirt roads for a looooong way.
From Gateway, John Brown Canyon takes you up the north side of the La Salles and into Moab. Again, easy dirt roads.
There is a dirt route from north of Cortez through Hovenweep NM towards Bluff, UT.
Burr Trail is a great one once you are in Utah.
If you are heading to the Grand Canyon as your final destination you will probably want to stay in Utah as you are travelling east or west. Arizona is mostly reservation along Hwy 160 through four corners and Tuba City.

If you are heading to the Grand Canyon as your final destination you will probably want to stay in Utah as you are travelling east or west. Arizona is mostly reservation along Hwy 160 through four corners and Tuba City.

excellent advice.

not long after this pic was taken on the navaho reservation, the road signs disappeared, the "road" got really narrow and started climbing a steep canyon wall.

i was loaded to the max, didn't want to turn around and danged near made the bike a permanent part of the landscape. :ha

ian

1127188795_EpoLb-O.jpg

No worries:)

The Navajo's are very friendly/helpful Indians and love the lands they occupy. I've had nothing but great riding times in the red dirt. Seems you've got lost and never to be found again and a Navajo will show up from nowhere:). They have bailed me more than once. Randy...a "Polarbear" lost in AZ.:). :usa

The Navajo's are very friendly/helpful Indians and love the lands they occupy. I've had nothing but great riding times in the red dirt. Seems you've got lost and never to be found again and a Navajo will show up from nowhere:). They have bailed me more than once. Randy...a "Polarbear" lost in AZ.:). :usa

yes, the people are simply wonderful, but they do have some mean damned dogs!

more than once on the ride i wound up going down a dead-end canyon, having to turn around and get going real quick with a big mean dog bearing down on me.

not easy with one of these big adventure pigs!

Depending on your route through Colorado, you can't go wrong with the Trough Road and Colorado River Road from Kremmling, CO to the Dotsero entrance to I-70. It is really a county road used by many but is very pretty country and in parts you will be on one side of the mighty Colorado River while on the other is the Amtrak passenger train. I raced them on time. :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...9.53794,-105.935669&spn=2.338411,5.778809&z=8

As far as the passes in the San Juans, such as Engineer Pass, while I can certainly recommend them as some of the most beautiful in Colorado, breathtaking really, these can be very challenging. I rode Engineer with a couple of guys on 1150GS's and I was on an F650GS (east to west). They were more experienced than I and had no trouble. I, on the other hand, had little dirt experience at the time and, though it ranks as one of the highlights of my motorcycling 'career,' it really wore me out. I was toast after that ride. Of course it was summer and even in the mountains is can get hot. Certainly doable, just give yourself plenty of time. You can check out some of the jeep and 4 wheeling videos of these passes by Googling. The 4WD types have lots of vids of the Colorado passes. Books, too, which also 'grade' the passes (for 4WDs) which gives a good idea of what you're in for. I can HIGHLY recommend Backcountry Adventures Colorado, by Peter Massey. This is THE BIBLE and has tons of stuff for 4 wheeling (which, of course, can apply generally to enduro bikes) and TONS of stuff on Colorado and the sites. "Like the other guides in the Backcountry Adventures series, Backcountry Adventures Colorado provides a helpful, concise chart with each trail description, listing starting and finishing point, mileage, driving time, and elevation. Hundreds of photographs and fascinating histories bring the trail to life. "

Enjoy Colorado, it is a GREAT place to ride.

DOG trick ,IAN:)

One I've found to almost always work! Beef Jerky:). The meanest dogs are always hungry too. My jerky is almost always easy to get too and handy and a rushing dog, about to have your leg for a treat, will all of a sudden be your best friend with dried steak in your hands. You just have to act fast and have the jerky ready. Now, this is a trick in itself. Works though:). Randy

North rim or south? South is a zoo, but a wonderful new visitor center. To me, north rim is just much better to experience-1000' higher also. Plus from the north rim, you are just so much closer to Zion, Bryce, and the lesser known but most powerful Cedar Breaks.

If Auto Club member, the regional map 'Indian Country' is terrific. I have worn out many of these over the years.

Your going to get alot of advice, and just about none of it will be misguided. The west is truly amazing. :thumb

I second the BURR Trail idea.

And I'll give it, and the rest of what Polarbear mentioned, a strong third. And this is coming from a local who grew up in south-central Utah, and has spent many a night and day exploring the remote places in the area for a good many years.

Back