• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Oil Sensor

J

Jack D

My 2006 RT seldom shows a check mark next to the oil status indicator. I recall hearing that here was a sensor change to cure that issue. Is there a url that displays that service bulletin? In fact is there an on line site to view BMW service bulletins in general?

Manual, page 54 is your friend here...

bike running, side stand up, vertical, idle for 30 seconds...

then the check occurs. I have not seen it (though I dont really check for it much) working when in motion or at higher RPMs.

I usually notice it if I am running it idle at the start or finish of a ride usually because I am fiddling with my GPS or phone.

as with all the electronic displays, I consider this one a convenience, not a safety of ride feature. I check the sight glass every monday before my first ride, along with the tire pressure and my other walkaround items.

My 2006 RT seldom shows a check mark next to the oil status indicator. I recall hearing that here was a sensor change to cure that issue. Is there a url that displays that service bulletin? In fact is there an on line site to view BMW service bulletins in general?

After noticing mine regularly, I was convinced it was broken. Turns out it sometimes takes the full 30 seconds at idle (when warmed up) and level for it to display the check mark.

I no longer have my '09 RT, but I seem to recall that the check also would only appear when standing still (like at a stop light). I never saw the check when underway.

Its an at rest (and not needed) check. I never look at mine- I'm like B-1 Pilot - the weekly "pre flight" walkaround includes the sight glass (and tire pressures and a lot of other similar stuff) and because mine uses no oil, I expect to never see it change. If it did, I'd find out why.

That sensor may not do much, if anything, to save you from problems out on the road - yor own eyesight is a lot more reliable. It is even less useful than the often unreliable fuel gauge (the Trip 1 odometer is your friend for that one).

Drove a newish 535 with all the I-Drive crap the other day - more useless e-junk to break than I want to know about and most of it a real pita to either use or shut off. Lane warnings, speed warnings, little green lights to show the speed the cc is set on as though the speedo itself is inadequate, gps that is non-intuitive, lacks local roads and picks wrong routes, night vision placed so badly tht if you look at it you're not looking at the road, and I could easily triple this list after having driven it for less than an hour. Don't ride near the distracted driver operating one.
Would be a decent car if the e crap was gone- the turbos, gearing and handling were good though the steering is a bit clunky for a BMW. Didn't open it to look- wondering if its electric assist because its uncharacteristically numb for the brand.

Its an at rest (and not needed) check. I never look at mine- I'm like B-1 Pilot - the weekly "pre flight" walkaround includes the sight glass (and tire pressures and a lot of other similar stuff) and because mine uses no oil, I expect to never see it change. If it did, I'd find out why.

That sensor may not do much, if anything, to save you from problems out on the road - yor own eyesight is a lot more reliable. It is even less useful than the often unreliable fuel gauge (the Trip 1 odometer is your friend for that one).

Drove a newish 535 with all the I-Drive crap the other day - more useless e-junk to break than I want to know about and most of it a real pita to either use or shut off. Lane warnings, speed warnings, little green lights to show the speed the cc is set on as though the speedo itself is inadequate, gps that is non-intuitive, lacks local roads and picks wrong routes, night vision placed so badly tht if you look at it you're not looking at the road, and I could easily triple this list after having driven it for less than an hour. Don't ride near the distracted driver operating one.
Would be a decent car if the e crap was gone- the turbos, gearing and handling were good though the steering is a bit clunky for a BMW. Didn't open it to look- wondering if its electric assist because its uncharacteristically numb for the brand.

Off topic (sort of, although I put the oil sensor in the RT in the same category as I-drive). I think the I-drive in the newer 328i is ok. The radio controls still suck (they couldn't have made it LESS intuitive). I also don't know why a turn-signal with a mid-point setting that blinks 3 times is useful (I know BMW says it will make my life better, but I'm not convinced). It's all worth it for the handling on that car though. It corners like it's on rails.

BMW engineering:
Step 1: Invent problem. Step 2: Invent solution. Step 3: Make "solution" mandatory and charge everyone $2000 for it. Step 4: Take most of the proceeds from Step 3 and plough it back into marketing the problem and "solution" from Steps 1 and 2 (as well as identify new "problems" that need to be solved through complex engineering).

Don't get me wrong, I love BMWs - quirks and all. In the case of the RT oil sensor, I like the window except for the voodoo dance you need to do to get it to read accurately.

FWIW, when I took delivery of my 2005 R1200RT in 2006, as explained to me by the dealership owner, the bike needed to be at normal operating temperature, on level ground and brakes applied (and stopped for at least 3 seconds).

Also, had to be in that mode on the display.

Has worked this way without fail since then (50,000+ miles).

I have an 05 RT and my oil level sensor works fine. My only complaint is perhaps it is a little over sensitive.

When the engine is warm, at idle, if I flip to the oil level display I get a check-mark. If the oil is on the low side of normal, I get an intermittent low oil light.

The sight glass does the job perfectly fine. I would only see a problem if there was a sudden loss of oil, like a crack caused by a rock, or the drain plug fell out, etc. In that case of sudden failure, the indicator would catch the problem and give me proper warning.

I'm good with that.

But hey, even my ambient temp sensor works properly!

I no longer have my '09 RT, but I seem to recall that the check also would only appear when standing still (like at a stop light). I never saw the check when underway.

What are you riding these days Mark? At one time we both had K1200LTs and then both migrated to R1200RTs.

Back